Defibrillator at the coop

Jean Adams
👍

Tue 16 Dec 2014, 12:14

Surely outside on the wall of the Surgery next to the Entrance doors,would be the best compromise. Everyone knows where the Surgery is and there is parking available. If the cabinet is inside the building it could be easily moved. has anyone asked the Doctors if they have any objections?

Richard Cocks
👍

Mon 15 Dec 2014, 16:59

The defibrillator in the Doctors'Surgery was purchased by public subscription but is clearly only available during surgery opening hours. Would it not be possible for the Town Council to approach the Surgery with a view to its' installation in a 24/7 public space? Surely the results of public subscription should not just benefit those taken ill at or near the surgery during opening hours!

Brigid Sturdy
👍

Sun 14 Dec 2014, 17:55

Thank you, too. It won't always be practical for the 999 caller to leave the patient (supposing they are alone at home together in the middle of the night), so perhaps a team of local volunteer fetchers is needed, of whom I would gladly be one.

Pearl Manners
👍

Sun 14 Dec 2014, 17:31

Thank you Rick that is very good clear information which I for one was not absolutely sure about. Most grateful.

Rick Leyland
👍

Sun 14 Dec 2014, 17:10

Defibrillators are a life saving addition to any community. If someone collapses and is confirmed to be in cardiac arrest - not breathing and no pulse - whoever called 999 will be told by the controller that there is a defibrillator available close by. It doesn't matter whether the patient is at home or in a public place.
The 999 controller will tell the caller where the defibrillator is located and what the code is to release it. They'll then be talked through what to do very clearly, you really cannot do it wrong. The machines are fool proof and will only let you shock a patient in cardiac arrest; you can't get it wrong.
Any recovery from this serious situation is dependent on the patient's heart regaining its normal rhythm and the sooner it is shocked into a regular beat the better. Community defibrillators ensure that the patient can receive this treatment even before an ambulance can arrive.
Hope this clears up a few points.

Brigid Sturdy
👍

Sun 14 Dec 2014, 16:48

What happens if somebody collapses at home, at some distance from the Fire Station or the Co-Op?

Tony H Merry
👍

Sun 14 Dec 2014, 14:23

The one we were given will be supplied to us when the cabinet is installed. If the one at the surgery is not available then another will be purchased and installed near the fire station after the installation of the first one has been checked

Jean Adams
👍

Sun 14 Dec 2014, 12:26

So, where exactly is the Defibrillator the Council was given and why has a second one not been acquired for the area around the Fire Station?.

Tony H Merry
👍

Sun 14 Dec 2014, 10:30

To provide more information
When the council was given the defibrillator we have they decided to get another one for the area around the firesation. As the one they have inside the surgery was bought by public subscription we could ask for that one to be mounted outside the coop I suppose
The Town Clerk has now got agreement from the Coop and they will collect money for the installation by public collection.
Yes they are very simple to use. All the Cotswold Wardens have seen them and they talk though each step. Where they have been installed there can be up to 80% reduction in deaths from heart failure.

Rhona Walker
👍

Sat 13 Dec 2014, 23:31

Surely it doesn't matter what building it's attached to so long as people can grab it quickly in an emergency. Private house, church, pub - the one in Chadlington is on the outside wall of the Abbeyfield Home (opposite the butchers) and is easily visible from the road.

Hannen Beith
👍

Sat 13 Dec 2014, 17:25

Are they just for heart attacks?

Alison Cherry
👍

Sat 13 Dec 2014, 10:47

Like Leah, I too have had training as part of a first aid course. They are extremely simple to use with both written and verbal instructions. A child of 7 or 8 would find it easy. I hope they get installed soon. We had reason to call an ambulance at work the other week and had to wait 30mins. Not good!!

Leah Fowler
👍

Sat 13 Dec 2014, 09:11

When we had instruction at Chipping Norton, there was a recorded voice telling you what to do

russell robson
👍

Fri 12 Dec 2014, 20:31

Each unit comes with instructions, and you can't kill someone who is already dead, however they may save someones life if they are available.

Hannen Beith
👍

Fri 12 Dec 2014, 18:17

Well, given the prices of some goods at the Co-op I think that common humanity dictates that one should be there.
On a more serious note, it is all very well having these dotted around the town but who knows how to use them? Will training be given?

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Fri 12 Dec 2014, 10:30

I think the fire station is a good idea - ease of access is vital and that is one place that has access to parking 24/7.

Rosemary Jodko-Narkiewicz
👍

Thu 11 Dec 2014, 12:43

I agree with Mike Williams about making the surgery one accessible and how about one at the fire station as well? We have a large enough population to need two.

Alison Cherry
👍

Wed 10 Dec 2014, 19:53

Totally agree with you John. What's wrong with the Fire Station? It's near to the main population areas and easily accessible. I also agree with Liz, the small village where I work and others in the area have had theirs for some months now. Charlbury needs to get a move on as someone will be dying for it!!

Mike Williams
👍

Wed 10 Dec 2014, 11:41

Has anybody looked into relocating the one at the surgery so it can be accessed 24 hours a day ?

Liz Leffman
👍

Wed 10 Dec 2014, 09:08

The intention is to have it in a place that can be accessed at any time of day or night, and I don't think that is the case with the one at the surgery. There was some discussion about having a second one up at the fire station but I don't know how far that has progressed, as it is with the Town Council to decide where to install it.

russell robson
👍

Wed 10 Dec 2014, 07:55

If there is one at the surgery, why is a second one be installed 50 m away?

Shouldn't it be at Londis, or the fire station, near the largest population centre.

john h
👍

Tue 9 Dec 2014, 22:55

Here Here Liz!!!

Liz Leffman
👍

Tue 9 Dec 2014, 19:28 (last edited on Tue 9 Dec 2014, 19:30)

I don't understand why it is proving to be such a problem. A number of small villages have had their defibrillators installed for months, outside their village halls for example, so what is stopping us in Charlbury?

john h
👍

Mon 8 Dec 2014, 20:19

Surely there is a socket in the porch way that was used for a childrens ride sometime ago,could this be adapted ? or is this just another Charlbury function that will lag behind all of our local villages??

Tony H Merry
👍

Mon 8 Dec 2014, 13:42

The Town Clerk is discussing the installation with the Coop but is proving difficult to get agreement for the electricity supply to the cabinet. It would also seem to be quite expensive to get it installed. I was wondering if it might be easier and perhaps more suitable to ask if it could be put on the outside of the surgery. They already have one in the surgery of course (paid by public subscription)

Rosemary Jodko-Narkiewicz
👍

Mon 8 Dec 2014, 12:49

Does anybody know if the defibrillator at the coop is going ahead and training for suitable first responders?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.