Clare Carswell
👍

Tue 9 Sep 2014, 22:22

Thanks everyone, this is all very helpful. I am exploring the gmail option now

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Tue 9 Sep 2014, 12:38

One option (though I'm no fan of Google) would be to use Gmail for your own domain: www.coffeecup.com/help/articles/set-up-gmail-for-your-own-domain/ . It's a little involved but you could probably find a helpful local technical sort to do it.

Malcolm Biranek
👍

Mon 8 Sep 2014, 20:51 (last edited on Mon 8 Sep 2014, 20:56)

Thats correct there is no direct link to the operating system as both Mac mail and Microsoft exchange support both protocols. However many people opt for IMAC if their email is being kept in exchange and are not using the Microsoft client, as it allows the email client to be independent so you can access your mail on lots of different devices like laptop, phone, tablet, web etc. With pop as you say the mail is download to the client so you need to always use the same device which these days less and less people use just a single device. The main advantage of POP is that you can work on you email "off-line". IMAP has other advantages too but thats another discussion.

Helen Chapman
👍

Mon 8 Sep 2014, 17:43

Mythic Beasts are good for hosting your own mail domain: https://www.mythic-beasts.com/ (although they are not the cheapest option out there) but they do have good customer service.

Helen Chapman
👍

Mon 8 Sep 2014, 17:41

The difference between imap and pop mail protocols is that pop downloads incoming mail to your computer whereas imap stores it on the server. There isn't any link to the operating system you're using as far as I'm aware.

Malcolm Biranek
👍

Sat 6 Sep 2014, 22:45

I dont think this should be too much of a problem you will probably just need to set the client on your PC to accept IMAP email (MAC) rather than POP (Microsoft)

Clare Carswell
👍

Sat 6 Sep 2014, 21:57

Thanks so much Malcolm, I will look at rackspace. I am a Mac user so I guess microsoft exchange is not what I need though.

Malcolm Biranek
👍

Fri 5 Sep 2014, 14:17

Well if you want to keep you own domain name email then you could look at a hosted service like Rackspace www.rackspace.co.uk/email-apps

They can offer email/webmail @ £1.35 per month but the min no of mailboxes are 5

Alternatively for £6.75 per month they have a hosted version of microsoft exchange and you only need to purchase one mailbox. With microsoft hosted exchange you get an outlook license, 100GB of mailbox, virus protection, spam filtering and active sync which allows you to sync calenders, contacts and mobile devices. if you have any questions you can email clare.smith@rackspace.co.uk

Clare Carswell
👍

Fri 5 Sep 2014, 09:30

Thanks for the suggestions Suzy and Malcolm, I use my own domain name email and don't want to lose that but I will explore the Google mail possibility.

Malcolm Biranek
👍

Thu 4 Sep 2014, 22:29

Why not just use Google mail and a mail client on a laptop or pc?

Suzy M-H
👍

Thu 4 Sep 2014, 14:03

Ben Bowyer is a local computer guy I've used several times and was recommended to me by my neighbour. He may well do the kind of thing you're looking for. You can either call him on 07775 860372 or get his email from www.greyfusion.co.uk, his website.

Clare Carswell
👍

Thu 4 Sep 2014, 12:37

The server that hosts my domain for my main email address has been hacked and so my emails are being bounced back from lots of other servers as the IP address has been blacklisted. This has happened before and I now want to move to another server and it occurs to me that it would be really nice to work with someone locally if possible. Can anyone recommend a reliable local company who provide hosting and who are really clued up about security ?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.