Cherry Tomatoes

Michael Flanagan
👍

Wed 3 Sep 2014, 19:23

Why on earth do you imagine any sane business would fly chardonnay or shiraz from Australia or New Zealand?

Are you trying to make some claim about global warming? If so, do you have even a sliver of evidence a bottle of South Australian wine sent on a boat (they all are) from Adelaide to Southampton causes more pollution than a similar bottle trucked on a lorry from southern Italy?

If you do, share it.

Mark Purcell
👍

Tue 2 Sep 2014, 16:47

These are good ideas from Nadine and Liz, and the Oxford Covered Market is one of the wonders of the world. I'd add to the list the very good village store in Chadlington, as well our own Good Food Shop (nice local cheese on sale). I've long since lost patience with the Co-op and its mostly mass-produced product lines. Not everyone has the choice, but since we do and we like to support local producers, the Co-op is, I'm afraid for emergencies only, and not often even then. Another pet peeve: why can't or don't they stock more interesting wine? Given the demographic we surely can't be the only people in Charlbury who want to spend £6-£9 on an interesting bottle of French, German, Austrian or Italian wine, rather than the same sum on a mass-produced chardonnay or shiraz flown from the other side of the globe!

Liz Leffman
👍

Tue 2 Sep 2014, 08:52

Or go to Chippy on a Saturday morning where Clive sells his local produce at the Country Market in the Town Hall - very fresh and great value.

NADINE MILLS
👍

Mon 1 Sep 2014, 19:32

Chippy market or witney market or even Carterton on a Thursday may give you more chance of local produce. recently shopped at Bonners in the covered market at Oxford and spent £6 for 3 sweet corn UK, celery from cambridge, beets from UK, pots from UK, English carrots and spanish nectarines whoops but try ripening them here. Worth the £5 petrol with 2 hours free parking in Jericho. also Cotswold tool and plant hire in chippy do sacks of local spuds from around now throughout the winter for £7 ish - we had them last year and they were delicious!! Don't expect big supermarket chains to be focused on anything other than profit!

Ann Harper
👍

Sat 30 Aug 2014, 19:24

Dashed into the Co-op a couple of weekends ago (a friend was waiting) and grabbed a pack of cherry tomatoes. No choice. I was furious when I got home to find that they were sourced from .....Morocco! Not only airmiles in the English salad season but I try not to buy Moroccan goods since their annexation of Western Sahara.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.