Setting up a Website

Alex Westbury
👍

Mon 18 Sep 2006, 10:53

Thanks for all the responses. It has given me lots and lots to think about. Since I had my twins last year everything seems to take alot longer to process!!!!! I will do some research with our group and see what everyone would like before I proceed any further.

Thakns once again for all your advice.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Mon 18 Sep 2006, 09:49

It depends on what you're trying to achieve with your website.

If your objective is keep a small network of people informed about a special interest, club or ongoing activity then by all means, use an existing free resource and/or borrow a version of Dreamweaver or Front Page (the former…

Long post - click to read full text

John Munro
👍

Mon 18 Sep 2006, 08:27

I would echo Richard's comments about it being as easy or difficult as you wish to make it. I set up my own website as a novice just using Frontpage Express and initially used the free webspace that my ISP allowed. One downside of that is the not too memorable web address that you usually end up with (mine was http://freespace.virgin.net/j.munro/trace.htm).
As I became more confident and needed more facilities etc., I then purchased a specific domain name (www.gitrace.org) from one of the low-cost commercial ISPs - I used www.123-reg.co.uk

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Sun 17 Sep 2006, 19:46

It can be as easy or as hard as you like... depends how complex you want your site to be. You can certainly do it yourself with the aid of a program like FrontPage, Dreamweaver, or one of many alternatives. Check with your ISP (Internet Service Provider) to see how much free webspace they'll let you have.

Alternatively, you could consider setting up pages on www.wospweb.com . It's a bit like the Charlbury Website's community pages, but district-wide, so would cover Witney. I am not really a fan of the site - why WODC feels the need to duplicate the area's local community websites, I have no idea - but given that it's there, you might as well use it!

(Reply posted to the forum rather than via e-mail, so that others can contribute/benefit rather than simply being a one-way conversation.)

Alex Westbury
👍

Sat 16 Sep 2006, 17:45

Does anyone have any knowledge on how to go about setting up a website. I am involved in the setting up of a new twins group in Witney and we would love a website. Is it very expensive? Is it easy? Could I do it myself? Any information would be gratefully received.
Please contact me via email alexwestbury@yahoo.com

Thank you

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.