Helicopters at night

Paul Taylor
👍

Mon 30 Jun 2014, 06:20

Philip yes they are so skilful and this is only able to be with the practise they a able to do.

Philip Ambrose
👍

Sun 29 Jun 2014, 22:30

There is a crescent of airspace running out of RAF Benson that includes our locality as an occasional night vision goggles (NVG) flight training area. There are sometimes two helicopters flying, but only one showing lights. These guys are mega skillful and need to be as they never know where our politicians (of any persuasion) will send them next!

Paul Taylor
👍

Wed 18 Jun 2014, 21:59

Jean your so right. Please think next time one comes over would you do that job Brave men and girls.

Jean Adams
👍

Wed 18 Jun 2014, 17:39

The inportance of these training flights became clear to me when, a few years ago, my Son-in-Law took his Battalion into Iraq. if he or any of the boys needed to be picked out of a hot spot it was these brave helicopter pilots they relied on. Please look on them with compassion. They overfly very close to my house and I wave to the pilots.

Ruth Williams
👍

Wed 11 Jun 2014, 22:42 (last edited on Wed 11 Jun 2014, 22:45)

I agree with Simon Walker, these activities are only every now and then.
I find that the people who usually complain are people who also don't like the church bells because they are loud or the manure on the fields because they smell! Did anyone seen the sealth bomber overhead on Sunday - awesome!

nigel griffiths
👍

Wed 11 Jun 2014, 21:50

Finally some people who agree with my post last year,just wondering if any of these complainers have served or have family in the Armed forces and indeed if any have just moved to charlbury!!!

Paul Taylor
👍

Wed 11 Jun 2014, 17:50

As Helen has pointed out this has been going on for years these pilots need training as I have said in the past you may loose 1/2 hours sleep they may loose their life which do you prefer?.

Katie Ewer
👍

Wed 11 Jun 2014, 09:51

We have also complained to the Low Flying line and have received two written replies basically saying "We're allowed to do this and it's essential for operational reasons". A senior flying officer from RAF Brize Norton did attend one of our Parish meetings in Fawler two years ago and explained why they have to do this type of exercise. The reason our area is often used is the lack of streetlighting and the number of natural geographical features. This allows the crews to run the helicopters using their night vision equipment and practice the kind of manoeuvres they might do for real when deployed. Not much consolation at 1am, but that is the justification from the military.

Simon Walker
👍

Tue 10 Jun 2014, 22:28 (last edited on Tue 10 Jun 2014, 22:28)

I am reminded of a remark made some years ago - in the 1980s perhaps - by the station commander at RAF Leuchars in Scotland, in response to complaints about low-flying exercises in the areas around there. The gist went something like this: "If one day you look up at a low-flying aircraft and it has red stars on its wings, don't complain to us, call the Kremlin". Our crews have to train - we all need them for our security.

Anthony Merry
👍

Tue 10 Jun 2014, 17:00

Yes Ian
You are right so the following is relevant
Low flying isn't allowed in areas around airports, or towns and cities with populations of more than 10,000.
(this might explain why they fly over Charlbury!)
Contact the MOD for information about low flying military aircraft in your area.

MOD Low Level Advisory Service
0800 51 55 44
Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm (November to March)
Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm (April to October)

Complain about low flying
Send your complaint to the MOD and include as much information as possible, eg times and location.

Ministry of Defence Air Staff
Complaints and Enquiries Unit
Low Flying Operations Squadron
RAF Wittering
Peterborough
PE8 6HB

Telephone: 0845 600 7580

Ian Lewis
👍

Sun 8 Jun 2014, 11:09

Sorry, Anthony, but that website only includes links to schedules for 3 areas out of 20 (the TTA or tactical training areas) and for fixed wing jets and Hercules C130 aircraft not helicopters.

Anthony Merry
👍

Sat 7 Jun 2014, 21:31

The control of low flying aircraft including helicopters is controlled by the Ministry of Defence
The relevant website is https://www.gov.uk/low-flying-in-your-area
This site has links to low level flying schedules for this area and also for complaints about noise nusciance

Katie Ewer
👍

Thu 5 Jun 2014, 13:27

They fly along the river and come very low over our house too. The activity tends to come in fits and starts, so hopefully it won't go on for too long.

russell robson
👍

Wed 4 Jun 2014, 14:32

They are mainly the Merlins from Benson returning from Navy practise and some of the Chinnocks going for refits at Brize

Helen Holwill
👍

Wed 4 Jun 2014, 13:15

You might find this thread of interest: forum.charlbury.info/thread/1125#7776

Alexandra Parker
👍

Wed 4 Jun 2014, 10:48

Hi all, has anyone else been bothered by a low flying helicopter at 1am/ 2am in the morning - this has woken my household up for the past 3 nights! Who is it? Military? Police? Private? Would love to know more. Thanks

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.