Wilderness Licence Variation Application

Paul Taylor
👍

Sun 17 Aug 2014, 08:20

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-19434082

Paul Taylor
👍

Sat 16 Aug 2014, 11:52

No mistake it did go on to 11.30pm so there was a breach of licence which of coarse no one will do any thing about!.

stephen cavell
👍

Sat 16 Aug 2014, 10:21

Thanks Liz - the voice of reason and reasonableness.

Liz Leffman
👍

Sat 16 Aug 2014, 08:44

My mistake, I meant 11pm not 11.30, and the stage closed when it was scheduled to.

Paul Taylor
👍

Fri 15 Aug 2014, 15:21

Right Liz what does the Licence time say for Sunday night 11.01pm for main stage well that was breached as it was gone 11.30pm. Malcolm I have never said that I want to stop people having fun when this has been going on for over 3+ days its only fair that people get the sleep they deserve its not practical for every one that does not go to move out But its fair and not selfish to let people get the sleep. They were supposed to letter drop with contact numbers before the advent we got nothing And I do not believe it was monitored fully. Who owns the licence? I would never get a licence in my back garden at this time of day(Sunday) so how come they can.

Tim at Cotswold Frames
👍

Fri 15 Aug 2014, 10:10

I know Malcolm, and whilst I did go to the festival and really enjoyed it, I never noticed the noise in the night when back home it is unfortunate for those if the wind is in the wrong direction.
This festival is good for the local economy, personally it doesn't effect me directly more like indirectly as the food and beverage business's are the places more likely to benefit than mine but that keeps local people in employment and then they then have cash to spend and hopefully its spent at my shop so that's where I benefit it would be a shame for the festival to have to move to another venue when greeted with open arms by many.

Liz Leffman
👍

Fri 15 Aug 2014, 09:58 (last edited on Fri 15 Aug 2014, 10:00)

WODC did have officers monitoring the sound throughout the weekend, both on the site and at different points in Charlbury at all times of the day and night. I am told by the officers that sound levels were not breached at any time. The license was changed to include low level organised music on Sunday night because last year there was a lot of noise from the campsite, which was outside the control of the organisers. It was felt (and I agreed, having been present at the hearing) that this would mean that there would be less uncontrolled noise from campers as they would have something to do after the main stage closes at 11.30. The license also included specific decibel levels because the previous license, which said that sound should be "inaudible" was to say the least confusing. However, there is clearly a problem with noise levels early on Monday morning in spite of everyone's best efforts. For future reference (and I will publicise this widely before the next festival) if you think that the noise has exceeded the agreed levels, officers will respond to a hotline number and will come and monitor the sound at your house. They did not receive any calls at all this year from residents, and I don't know if that was because people did not realise that the facility existed or they believed it was pointless to call, or if they didn't think the noise was that bad till the following day. Anyway, I do agree about Monday mornings and will make my own views known about this to be considered when the Safety Advisory Group looks at feedback from the festival.

Malcolm Biranek
👍

Fri 15 Aug 2014, 09:52 (last edited on Fri 15 Aug 2014, 09:59)

Well Tim that sort of year round noise, constantly barking dogs, rowdy drunks and noisy motorists are fine all year around. There is only a storm of protest, complaints and imposition of restrictions if people might be enjoying themselves once a year. There are laws about making this sort of nuisance noise, particularly late at night but WODC don't monitor this. Probably falls into either the too difficult or can't be bothered categories.
General noise pollution IMO is a much greater nuisance, like you've just settled down with a nice drink in the garden for a bit of relaxation and someone nearby decides to cut their lawn with what sounds like world war 3! So much for bit of peace and quiet on a lovely Sunday afternoon :(

Tim at Cotswold Frames
👍

Fri 15 Aug 2014, 09:40

I'm sure the council must of had the sound monitor men dotted about Charlbury to keep check on the noise, as they have had for the last couple of years to keep tabs on the volume I just wish that they would come and monitor the noise and mess that the dustcarts make " Every Tuesday morning" at some ungodly hour, week in and week out all year round but that seems to get over looked for some reason.

Jean Adams
👍

Fri 15 Aug 2014, 09:12

I agree that the cut off times and therefore the sound should be earlier and have already reported to Wilderness that I believe the finish time on Sunday night should be 12 midnight and not 2am.

Paul Taylor
👍

Fri 15 Aug 2014, 06:21

This is the licence that they were running under Clearly the main stage carried on till 11.30pm and after that was over 40dB both parts of the licence clearly not adhered to. This is the part that has caused a problem (Sunday night Monday morning). So to Jean Adams that seems to think its funny that we are upset by this, don't think that we will have to move or alter our lifestyle for that week 2015 because if wilderness can't operate correctly under its licence it wont go ahead.

Susannah Sheppard
👍

Thu 5 Jun 2014, 15:36

Just so you are all completely clear I have understood the following from Wilderness HQ. The 'variation' is to increase numbers up to 29,999 and to reduce noise levels from previous years including a reduction in time that the festivals will operate at higher noise levels on Fri, Sat & Sun. The 2:00am - 4.00am that has been applied for will be further away from residents and controlled and would be used to prevent people making their own entertainment in the campsites. Also, although it's never been used there had always been a licence to serve food and drink for 24hrs (in accordance with the existing Cornbury Park licence) and even if there is the odd food trader operating there will absolutely be no sound issues associated with them. I hope that all helps.

Jean Adams
👍

Mon 26 May 2014, 22:49

Come to Wilderness, you will be so tired you can sleep through anything afterwards.

Veronica Stallwood
👍

Mon 26 May 2014, 20:25

I noticed that the 'Variation' was to reduce the noise levels, but also saw that they will be serving alcohol 24 hours a day and food from midnight to 5 a.m. Not sure when those of us within hearing distance are supposed to get a night's sleep (or four).

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Mon 26 May 2014, 19:20

The following link explains the generality of the applications, but if you want to read the applications in full it seems you have to go to the WODC offices in Witney.

www.westoxon.gov.uk/business/licences-permits/regulated-entertainment-the-sale-of-alcohol/licensing-consultations/

The bit that will interest most people is probably this:

"Wilderness Festival
This is an application for the established event normally licensed under the Cornbury premises licence. The application is for the same event with increased numbers up to 29,999. Regulated entertainment Thursday 1000hrs to 2300hrs (44dB), Friday and Saturday 1000hrs to 0400hrs (2301hrs to 0200 hrs 44dB and 0200hrs to 0400hrs 40dB), Sunday 1000hrs to 0200hrs (2301hrs to 0200hrs 40dB).
Type of licence application: New premises licence 2014 to 2018"

Veronica Stallwood
👍

Mon 26 May 2014, 17:30

There are two Licence Application notices posted at the North Lodge entrance to Cornbury Park, referring to the Wilderness Festival and dated a couple of months apart. The later one appears to be a variation of the first. Does anyone know anything about them and what they mean in practice?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.