Asparagus

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Sun 29 Jun 2014, 19:32 (last edited on Sun 29 Jun 2014, 19:41)

Helen: they simply said that their UK supplier had been unable to supply sufficient asparagus at that time due to weather problems, and that they were sure of home grown asparagus from later in June for about a month. Certainly other supermarkets have been similarly erratic. I wonder if they told you and others the same?

On the subject of packaging, I counted the number of different items of fruit and veg that were on sale loose in the Co-op this morning, and I made it 22. This strikes me as pretty impressive for such a small shop with very limited storage, and something to encourage the Co-op to build and improve on, rather than rubbish them for. Selling things like apples, oranges, bananas, potatoes and carrots in ones and twos is very important for many older customers.

Christine is quite right about the lamb, and I agree that that's a pity. I wonder if anyone has asked them why they do not support British sheep farmers? I did notice however that all (or virtually all) their beef, pork and chicken is from the UK. Full marks to them for that. But worth complaining about the lamb.

Oh, and no, they didn't 'justify' selling Peruvian asparagus, except in terms of non-availability of the UK product in sufficient quantities to supply a national retailer. But of course the only reason that any shop sells anything is that people buy it. We may not like it, but that's the sad fact (as I would see it). Let's hope that discussions like this help make all of us more aware of what we're eating, and the consequences of our choices.

Helen Chapman
👍

Sun 29 Jun 2014, 19:07

I was just curious because you said you were greatly reassured. I'd like to know what they could have said to justify selling peruvian asparagus during the British season.

Mark Sulik
👍

Fri 27 Jun 2014, 21:17

We all have choices in all aspects of life. If it that much of a problem, vote with your feet and don't purchase it from the co op or boycott the shop. I am sure many people by wine from New Zealand and enjoy it.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Fri 27 Jun 2014, 12:29

Helen -- probably pretty much what they will have said to everyone here, assuming everyone complaining here has made their complaint known to the Co-op by phoning or emailing them as I explained below. Not much point going on about it all here, and the only way to bring about change is for us to let them know what we think. And there are other places to go anyway. People can have their UK-grown (organic) fruit and veg delivered weekly (I use www.skylarkorganics.co.uk) without plastic wastage. Or buy loose fruit and veg from the markets in Witney and Chippy.

Helen Chapman
👍

Wed 25 Jun 2014, 21:25

Jon what did they say in the phone call?

Paul Taylor
👍

Tue 24 Jun 2014, 20:05

We have been getting ours straight from the farm nice and fresh but season is nearly over

Liz Reason
👍

Tue 24 Jun 2014, 19:57

Dear All, Just to say that I am at one with everyone and these comments. I am totally fed up with having to bring home plastic bags even for a cauliflower or cabbage. Yesterday's asparagus was from Italy. I want to buy what's in season or that it has been possible to store to keep fresh.

Kat Patrick
👍

Mon 23 Jun 2014, 12:17

The Co-operative Magazine just dropped through my door today. On page 18, a great article about ten things to be more green this summer, and number 1? Buy Greener Groceries, as in local British produce rather than vegetables freighted from overseas. I'm now composing a letter to them to give them a piece of my mind about hypocrisy!

john h
👍

Fri 20 Jun 2014, 20:22

Chippy Co op has asparagus from Worcs pre packed

Christine Battersby
👍

Fri 20 Jun 2014, 10:04 (last edited on Fri 20 Jun 2014, 10:05)

The need to weigh loose vegetables at the till is a very poor excuse as far as asparagus is concerned, as it usually comes in bundles that require no weighing. Lots of local & UK growers also do packaged vegetables which the Co-op used to stock in previous years.

I'm also completely fed up with the disappearance of British lamb (except for the occasional lamb burger or slow-cooked joints) from the Co-op. These are also missing from Witney Waitrose which, like the Charlbury Co-op, seems set on a race to the bottom insofar as prices (& often also quality) are concerned.

Malcolm Biranek
👍

Fri 20 Jun 2014, 08:12 (last edited on Fri 20 Jun 2014, 08:18)

"They cannot offer "loose" vegetables or fruit because of the lack of space"
This seems a very convenient excuse, so why offer the pre packages items in preference? Probably because its more profitable and that they wont have to weigh them at the till.
Perhaps they should get rid of a lot of the junk food that takes up loads of space there
They could have smaller portions of stock on the shelves but replenish it from reserves in the back store more frequently?

Ruth Williams
👍

Fri 20 Jun 2014, 07:40

I expect there are other shops doing the same, but there seems to be a general gripe at the co-op? Is that because it is in Charlbury? Also as it is a small store (I think they say convenience store) they cannot offer "loose" vegetables or fruit because of the lack of space.

Susan Way
👍

Thu 19 Jun 2014, 17:56

Today (19 June) the Co-op is still stocking asparagus from Peru, green beans from Zimbabwe and - most amazing of all to me - mangetout from China. What madness in the height of the growing season here. Has the Co-op completely lost the plot?

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Fri 13 Jun 2014, 12:59

I had a useful phone call from the Co-op, explaining what happened. What has anyone else heard? I'm greatly reassured.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Thu 29 May 2014, 10:05 (last edited on Thu 29 May 2014, 10:13)

Here's the reply -- so far -- that I got from the Co-op. What have you heard? I'll post the promised response when it comes... but the more of you complain, the better.

Dear Mr Carpenter,

Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding your enquiry on where we source our Asparagus and why.

On receipt of your correspondence I have duly noted your concerns and I have now raised your feedback for internal investigation. We will contact you with further details during the next seven working days.

I would like to take this opportunity to assure you of our prompt attention to this matter.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you require further assistance in the meantime.

Thank you for your on-going support of our Co-operative Society.

Yours sincerely,

Jane Whitehouse
Retail Customer Support Advisor
The Midcounties Co-operative Society
Freephone: 0800 138 2909
Email: talktous@midcounties.coop

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Wed 28 May 2014, 10:51 (last edited on Wed 28 May 2014, 10:52)

Here's a comment from the Ocado website last month:

"I have been buying English asparagus for the past two weeks from M & S,so I thought it would be safe to buy it from Ocado. WRONG. It's nothing short of criminal to airfreight an inferior product in from Mexico when the best asparagus in the world is available here & now & won't be available that long. Shame on you."

The Waitrose website shows three asparagus packets: one from Thailand, one from Peru and one whose source (according to Ocado: Waitrose themselves don't come clean on this!) will vary according to season!

Meanwhile, all three asparagus choices on the Sainsburys site are shown as UK. Let's hope the pictures are accurate. Spears work out at £6 a kilo

The Co-op will only stock the disgraceful imported stuff if people buy it. Same goes for the beans and broccoli from Kenya. It's easy to tell them what you think: phone 01926 516000 or email: talktous@midcounties.coop They don't read this forum, you can be sure of that!

Lynne Stubbles
👍

Sun 25 May 2014, 21:09

Charlbury Deli has Asparagus from Banbury delivered everyday.We have been stocking it for the last 3 weeks. We also have English large field mushrooms on Fridays and Saturdays.

Caroline Shenton
👍

Sun 25 May 2014, 18:55

Sometimes the Charlbury Deli stocks local asparagus and The Bull has been doing a special based on very local asparagus for some weeks on and off according to availability...

mark s
👍

Sun 25 May 2014, 16:43

I'm glad I'm not the only one that has noticed the Co-op was selling Spanish Asparagus rather than the seasonal local English variety..

Lesley Algar
👍

Sat 24 May 2014, 20:12

The Co-op has also gone back on its promise to Compassion in World Farming and been stripped of its of its prestigious Good Chicken Award, after it went back on a welfare promise on meat chickens by cramming more birds into its sheds.

Miles Walkden
👍

Sat 24 May 2014, 11:50

and Why cant they use recyclable material for their mushrooms, etc. Or even better, sell them loose?

Ann Harper
👍

Fri 23 May 2014, 19:50

Yesterday the Co-op asparagus was from Spain! Still a pretty poor show. Protests should be made in their comments book.

Charlbury Deli had English asparagus last w/e.

Shelagh Scott
👍

Fri 23 May 2014, 18:28

We are close to the growing area of the best asparagus in the world and yet yesterday, at the height of the asparagus growing season, the Co-op, which claims to have green credentials and encourage local suppliers, was only offering asparagus grown in Peru!

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.