Weekend S3

Naomi Berger
👍

Sun 29 Jun 2014, 20:24

I would say that the wychwood stop is the closest to the town center. I don't think that there are any more bus stops on banbury hill.

PJ Honey
👍

Sun 29 Jun 2014, 16:04 (last edited on Sun 29 Jun 2014, 16:05)

Does anyone know if the Wychwood Close stop at the Slade is the nearest stop to Charlbury centre on the late bus or is there a closer one, perhaps in Banbury Hill? Thanks.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Sat 17 May 2014, 07:46

You can buy it on the train or at the gateline in Oxford - the Charlbury ticket machine doesn't know about it.

PJ Honey
👍

Fri 16 May 2014, 19:08 (last edited on Fri 16 May 2014, 19:09)

Thanks, John. That's a good tip. How do you buy one of those evening out tickets? They don't come up as an option on the FGW website.

John Stanley
👍

Fri 16 May 2014, 08:18

The Cotswold Line Railcard was introduced some years ago when a minimum fare (currently £13) was applied to the Network Railcard on Mondays to Fridays. The train operator at the time feared loss of business on the Cotswold Line - the Network Railcard became almost useless for journeys wholly between Oxford and Worcester on Mondays to Fridays.
If you are planning just an evening in Oxford, there is a very competitive Oxford Evening Out fare on the train. It is a rover ticket costing just £3.00 (£2.00 with most Railcards) and can be used on the 1837 or any later train. It covers an area bounded by Kingham, Didcot Parkway, Banbury or even Bicester Town, but the Bicester train service from Oxford is currently replaced by buses while its track is being upgraded.

PJ Honey
👍

Wed 14 May 2014, 12:40

Richard, the Cotswold Railcard does indeed look like good value if you can get 34% off all off peak fares. Especially as it's only £7.50

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Wed 14 May 2014, 12:09

Christine - the Cotswold Railcard is actually good value even if you have a Network Card; it doesn't have a minimum fare in the week, whereas the Network Card does. So if you regularly travel to Oxford or Worcester off-peak on weekdays, it's a good buy.

PJ Honey
👍

Wed 14 May 2014, 11:56

Thanks everyone! The S3 seems like a good bet then, at least in the evening.

Christine Elliott
👍

Wed 14 May 2014, 09:10

Always found the evening services very reliable, just don't fall asleep and miss your stop! One time I fell asleep on the last bus in the snow and the driver kindly dropped me back on his way home from Chippy.

Christine Battersby
👍

Wed 14 May 2014, 00:33

I've never had a problem with the last S3 bus, except on occasions because of floods or snow. But there is a long gap between the last two S3 buses back to Charlbury which does make it inconvenient at times. Also, there's no service at all on Sundays.

The distance from the Slade to the centre of town is about 10 minutes walking at a slow to medium pace. If you intend to use the train to Oxford, the Cotswold Card is worth investigating if you don't want a Network Card or qualify for one of the other rail cards.

Hannen Beith
👍

Tue 13 May 2014, 19:17

Yes, the S3 is a good service and I always use it instead of the train.

Elaine Newbold
👍

Tue 13 May 2014, 19:08

I have found the S3 to be very reliable I used to use it to commute into Oxford twice a week and it always on time during the many months I used it. far more reliable than the trains ! does take about an hour into Oxford but they do have free WI FI .

PJ Honey
👍

Tue 13 May 2014, 14:46 (last edited on Tue 13 May 2014, 15:23)

Hi, I'm moving to Charlbury at the end of July and was wondering if the last S3 from Oxford is reliable and how long the walk is from the Slade into the town centre when it drops off there. Thanks very much,

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.