Proposed disabled parking space on Market Street

Anthony Merry
👍

Tue 13 May 2014, 19:38

I can confirm we have a warden who comes from Witney
In fact one of them dances Morris with us.
He tells me that they do not have a fixed day to come(for obvious reasons) but they will certainly be here on a weekly basis and they WILL enforce any parking restrictions in the Town and have done so on several occasions recently so be warned!

Caroline Shenton
👍

Mon 12 May 2014, 21:38 (last edited on Mon 12 May 2014, 21:38)

Oh, yes - there is most definitely a parking warden. The alacrity with which tickets are dispensed on Market St is in inverse proportion to the days it has taken for the council to clear heavy snowfalls from the street in past winters, which is particularly galling.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Mon 12 May 2014, 11:35

WODC send out a warden every week or so - usually on Thursdays!

Andrew Chapman
👍

Mon 12 May 2014, 11:05

There's a parking warden?! Do they come when there's a full moon and Aquarius is in Ophiochus? Given that the double yellow lines in Sheep Street, Market Street and elsewhere seem constantly occupied by cars, perhaps the warden even operates in an alternative universe?

Naomi Berger
👍

Mon 12 May 2014, 09:22

It's a shame that the parking warden in Charlbury doesn't put people off. I suppose if the warden was here more often that would cost the council more money.

Leah Fowler
👍

Sun 11 May 2014, 14:49

Thankyou Amanda, also if cars are parked on the double yellow lines on the corner, it is impossible to see when exiting from Workhouse lane.

Amanda Epps
👍

Sun 11 May 2014, 12:37

I am the guilty person who requested these bays. In other towns, there are disabled bays outside the chemists and I just wanted parity for Blue badge holders in Charlbury. Yes, we can park on double yellow lines but so do many abled bodied and there have been skips etc in this area. To explain the need, on a cold winter's evening trying to get to the Pharmacy with my prescription, I had to park some distance away when I could hardly breathe with a severe chest infection. The reason for this was that there were 5 cars parked near the Pharmacy on the double yellow lines none of whom had Blue Badges.
As regards the Coop, although there are disabled bays in the Spendlove Car Park, they are at a distance from the entrance to the Coop, especially when carrying heavy shopping back to the car. As a result they are rarely used and most disabled park on the double yellow lines at the entrance to the car park ( as do many able bodied!) creating a difficulty for drivers and delivery lorries. The spaces outside the entrance are often occupied for the whole day, sometimes by those declining to pay to park at the station. I had hoped that Charlbury residents would support this move.

Leah Fowler
👍

Sat 10 May 2014, 19:44

Yes Martin the address of the COOP is Spendlove Centre Enstone Road, but on the planning application it says Browns Lane and on the letter we received from the council(because we live in Browns Lane) it definitely says 2 spaces in Browns Lane.
Yes Naomi I think you are right, but there are no yellow lines outside the COOP at that point, so disabled badge holders should find it easier to get a parking place if it is respected by other drivers.

Naomi Berger
👍

Sat 10 May 2014, 18:46

Both my parents have disabled badges. I thought that you could use your disabled badge on double yellow lines for up to 3 hours anyway as long as you're not causing an obstruction. Forgive me if I'm wrong.

Martin prew
👍

Sat 10 May 2014, 17:56 (last edited on Sat 10 May 2014, 17:57)

I always thought the co-op was on enstone road!

Valou Pakenham-Walsh
👍

Sat 10 May 2014, 15:43

The planning proposal is for one space in Browns Lane outside the Co-op, and one space in Market Street outside the estate agents.

Leah Fowler
👍

Sat 10 May 2014, 13:26

There is a planning proposal for two spaces in Browns Lane outside the COOP store

Malcolm Biranek
👍

Sat 10 May 2014, 13:12 (last edited on Sat 10 May 2014, 16:35)

No Leah I don't assume disabled people should not be allowed out in the evening. It really depends on the intent of creating this space in the first place? Why in this position and not one directly outside the main co-op supermarket in Browns lane, Sheep street, or other places in the town?
My assumption is that this is being done primarily to provide priority access to the Pharmacy, Post Office and other shops.
Really depends how much it will be used in evenings, but I presume the "Planners" have already figured this out before creating it? More thought ought to be given to better disabled access across the town anyway as its not really that good, especially shop entrances, and some of the pavements are a disgrace. In fact they are so bad in places I choose to walk on the road for fear of breaking my ankle.

Caroline Shenton
👍

Sat 10 May 2014, 10:20 (last edited on Sat 10 May 2014, 10:23)

Thanks for the clarification, Valou, that's good to know. In fact, that is what I suggested happen in my response to the council whose notice states the Pharmacy not Wychwoods. It is worth pointing out that there are other double yellow areas of Market Street which could be derestricted without any adverse effect, making one or two further spaces for residents and I have also suggested that to OCC.

Leah Fowler
👍

Sat 10 May 2014, 09:41

Obviously Malcolm assumes disabled people should not be allowed out in the evening

Valou Pakenham-Walsh
👍

Sat 10 May 2014, 09:30

I presume not, as disabled drivers may want to use this space to attend evening events in the Corner House or the Memorial Hall, for example.

Malcolm Biranek
👍

Sat 10 May 2014, 09:02

I presume it to provide disabled access to the post office, pharmacy etc? So could it be made possible for others to use outside commercial hours say 5:30 pm to 9:00 am?

Valou Pakenham-Walsh
👍

Sat 10 May 2014, 07:35

The proposed disabled parking bay will be situated outside the estate agents, replacing existing double yellow lines. So it will, in effect, add a parking space in Market Street.

Caroline Shenton
👍

Fri 9 May 2014, 19:59 (last edited on Fri 9 May 2014, 20:02)

I see from local notices on lampposts near the Corner House and The Bull that Oxfordshire County Council is proposing a couple of disabled parking spaces in the centre of town, one of which will be outside the Co-op Pharmacy. I don't object of course to provision of a disabled space itself in this way, but I am worried that it will exacerbate the already heavy pressure on parking in Market Street, where we have recently lost one space permanently by The Alley and where there are already not enough spaces for the number of residents. I have therefore contacted Oxfordshire County Council to request that if a space is dedicated to disabled users in Market St then they should make up for the loss by removing some unnecessary yellow lines elsewhere in the street so that the situation does not get any worse. If anyone would like to join me in voicing a similar suggestion, then you can contact the relevant County Council team here: https://www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/cms/content/contact-traffic-regulations-team

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.