Bluebells

Tanya Stevenson
👍

Tue 22 Apr 2014, 16:23

Thanks again everyone - I tried Holly Grove yesterday and it was lovely. I took photos but there is already one on the Green Hub (which is excellent and very useful - thanks Christine). I plan to visit lots of these places over next few weeks and will send photos to Christine if I get any good ones. Just need to wait for this rain to go away...

Phil Morgan
👍

Tue 22 Apr 2014, 11:16

To echo John's recommendation: Pinsley Woods has a magnificent display right now. This site is just south of Long Hanborough but is most easily accessed from The Hand and Shears pub in CHURCH HANBOROUGH.
Plenty of parking. Take the signed footpath to the L hand side of the pub straight down to the woodland. It's a Community Wood with lots of paths. The best route is the circular walk round the perimeter; about 1.5 miles.
Most of the perimeter trees are deciduous - Ash and Hazel which set off the Bluebells and the yellow patches of Celandines beautifully. Lots of lovely photo opportunities! The middle of the wood is mature conifer which shows some spectacular storm damage at the moment.
You can't go wrong if you keep your right shoulder (anti-clockwise circle) or your left shoulder (clockwise circle)to the surrounding fields. You end up coming back to the exit point back up to your car which is handily marking with a sign advertising the pub - good food and beer...! Enjoy!

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Tue 22 Apr 2014, 08:45

Ditchley have thinned out a lot of their plantations, the bluebells won't be as good as previous years.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Mon 21 Apr 2014, 17:59

The public footpaths through the Ditchley estate go through some lovely bluebell woods, and are easily accessible on foot from Charlbury. They won't be at their best yet though.

John Biggs
👍

Mon 21 Apr 2014, 17:33

Pinsley Wood, near Church Hanborough, is a good place.

Christine Elliott
👍

Mon 21 Apr 2014, 14:28 (last edited on Mon 21 Apr 2014, 14:33)

There's a Countryside/Nearby Places To Visit page on the Charlbury Green Hub website which includes bluebell woods. I could do with some good photos, so please send me any with locations. Also if your favourite place isn't listed please give me more details such as grid references for access points.

Sue Normand
👍

Sun 20 Apr 2014, 22:33

Lots along Stonesfield lane today.

Tanya Stevenson
👍

Sun 20 Apr 2014, 13:04

Thanks everyone - some great places to try but perhaps I'll leave it for a couple of weeks! There was always an excellent display at Aston Rowant nature reserve near where I used to live - so I'm glad to be able to find some round here too.

Peter Kenrick
👍

Sun 20 Apr 2014, 11:14

My favourite local spot for bluebells is Stags Plain on the Circular Walk between the Forest Road and Chilson Hill - Grid Ref: 326182. Another attraction of this spot is the magnificent view of the Evenlode Valley as you emerge from the woods. However, I was up there on Good Friday and the bluebells were not really out then - they'll probably be at their best in a week or two.

Andrew Chapman
👍

Sat 19 Apr 2014, 18:49

Singe Wood at White Oak Green is another spot - don't know if they're out yet though.

Helen Chapman
👍

Sat 19 Apr 2014, 18:39

The woods near Bladon are great for a really dense carpet. They are not quote out at Foxholes yet - we went there today.

Graham Chamberlain
👍

Sat 19 Apr 2014, 18:01

My favourite nearest is Holly Grove, between Ramsden and Wilcote. Best entered at south end near Shakenoak Farm.

Jody O'Reilly
👍

Sat 19 Apr 2014, 17:42

Excellent displays usually in the woods around Wilcot, the upper part of Stonesfield woods has nice wildflowers in general too. A bit further away the bluebells at Greys court are amazing this year. That's a lovely day out all round, it's national trust. Hope you find some.

Robin Taylor
👍

Sat 19 Apr 2014, 14:58

Foxholes nature reserve usually has a fantastic display, it's a Berks Bucks and Oxon site. See their website for details, bbowt.org.uk

Tanya Stevenson
👍

Sat 19 Apr 2014, 14:35

I'm fairly new to Charlbury and wondered if anyone can tell me where is the best place to go to find nice displays of bluebells? I notice they are out now and wondered whether any of the local woodlands are known for them.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.