sick of toxic orange spray paint!

Liz Leffman
👍

Fri 4 Apr 2014, 16:11

The council does not supply poo bags (and I'm not sure I want to subsidise that out of my council tax)

Amanda
👍

Thu 3 Apr 2014, 22:05

Liz do the council issue free poo bags as I was wondering if a container with free bags in next to bin may help? I know they are really cheap to buy however not everyone carries them or buys them and I wonder if an extra bin near that park at Ticknell plus new bigger signs and free bags might help in that particuar area of Charlbury?

Amanda
👍

Thu 3 Apr 2014, 21:58

Yes please liz that would be great if that could happen.

Liz Leffman
👍

Thu 3 Apr 2014, 18:40

Hi Amanda, do you mean the gate by the play area? if so that would be easy to fix, and I can ask the officers to find a new bin for us.

Amanda
👍

Thu 3 Apr 2014, 18:15

Wow interesting debate! I picked up over 10 bags of poop on sat with a dog walking friend from the goal area at Ticknell,and she had collected a similar amount. This was not from our dogs might I add.There are no signs around that area or poo bins, just the one near the bowls club entrance. I have decided that in the next few weeks I will be making my own signs to put up in that area and would ask Liz if a poo bin could be put at the gate entering that area off of Ticknell as there is already fence and a gate to attach it to and WODC already drive up there to empty the general litter bin. I will endevour to catch the person who allows there dog to crap there and will clearly point out that the area is for children to play in and it is not a dog loo but in the meantime I will continue to pick up someone elses dog poo, so that the children can have a nice easter holiday playing safely in their area. My children are now all grown up but hey some of us do try and do our bit for the community.

Catherine Kimmance
👍

Thu 3 Apr 2014, 09:21

I'm just an occasional dog walker - i look after a friend's dogs. Obviously the more bins there are or the more they are emptied, the better all round and some people who let their dogs foul the pavements etc may use them but there's always going to be people who won't bother. Over the last few years I've seen people with their dogs off the lead in places where signs make it clear they must be on the lead. These people may be keeping an eye out and picking up but they can't be as sure and if they are not following 'rules' clearly displayed then they may not be too fussy about the rest. Yesterday I saw dog poo near the bushes on the play area swings; this is so irresponsible-perhaps people don't know how dangerous this is? I haven't seen the orange spray but it sounds a good idea to me but agree it's not going to solve the problem of irresponsible owners. Perhaps more notices-or stronger worded notices about picking up might help.

Deborah Longshaw
👍

Wed 2 Apr 2014, 10:08

Ouch!! Apologies, ladies. Sadly didn't think about the fact that WODC would need the use of a lorry to empty it! Thought that it was a job that could have been done by hand, & on foot, but obviously in my ignorance, I am expecting way too much! People want things easy these days, & as such a dog poo bin ideally every 500 yards or so. Even if that was do-able, as I have previously stated the mind set of those who quite happily leave their dog's faeces in places where both children & adults come into contact with it, will never be changed. So yes, like your problem with Centinary Wood, it will always be the same people whose conscience prompts them to collect & properly dispose of theirs (& maybe at times) others. I still say though that should any perpetrators get captured on film, there should be a place to 'out' them!

Liz Leffman
👍

Wed 2 Apr 2014, 08:51 (last edited on Wed 2 Apr 2014, 08:52)

I'm afraid that WODC will not be able to get a mile up any footpath to empty a bin.

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Tue 1 Apr 2014, 18:42

"However, shocked that there is possibly no chance due to the mere addition of a basic wooden post! It would be ideally positioned about a mile or so up the lane where it forks - one route to go up around the fields the other which continues the lane ( difficult to explain without a map)"

How will WODC get a vehicle up there to empty it? If they send a truck up people will be on here in a flash complaining about mud in the winter. No doubt the Cotswold Wardens could put in a post for you as long as someone provides a suitable one, but we seem to have also taken over maintenance of Centenary Wood (not that I'm complaining) because once again a community project was started that requires local help in terms of upkeep and the people of Charlbury aren't prepared to do anything. I'm sure Christine Elliot will agree with me when I say it's always the same few people who do things.

Deborah Longshaw
👍

Tue 1 Apr 2014, 14:59

OMG!!! That definitely puts our toxic orange paint to shame.....(think I am now going to throw up!!)

Diana Limburg
👍

Tue 1 Apr 2014, 11:23

Meanwhile, elsewhere:
"A resident of Peterhead in Aberdeenshire is decorating dog mess on the pavement with strawberries and cream. Theresa Ritchie wants to draw attention to the small mounds and also embarrass owners into picking up more. The vigilante also uses cake icing and Nutella in her unusual labelling strategy." (From BBC news)

Deborah Longshaw
👍

Tue 1 Apr 2014, 09:32

Liz, if you read my post the need for more bins - or at least another one is in the Ticknell/Ditchley Lane area. However, shocked that there is possibly no chance due to the mere addition of a basic wooden post! It would be ideally positioned about a mile or so up the lane where it forks - one route to go up around the fields the other which continues the lane ( difficult to explain without a map). Sad that you are so negative about them, since obviously people do use them, since most I have used are often full to overflowing! I know this is being addressed, however, one really cannot decry others who pick up poo only to find that most bins are less than useless!
As for the Poo sprayers, as I said, much as I admire they are attempting a solution, it clearly is not working - other than as Julie Negus mentioned helping to break the stuff down - maybe it is a case of being the bigger person & if you can stoop down to spray it, why not just pick it up & bin it. I know it is not fair, & don't get me wrong, it does make my blood boil. However, we have to realise & accept that the sort of people whose mentality allows them to think it is perfectly okay to allow their dogs to defecate anywhere, with no thought to the consequences, are not going to be changed by a bit of orange paint!
By the way, any thoughts on my 'Rogues Gallery' idea??

Katrina Ross
👍

Mon 31 Mar 2014, 13:47

I have to agree with Liz it doesn't matter how many bins you provide if people aren't prepared to pick it up! And still there are people who do put it in a bag and then just leave the bag! There is one hanging from a tree along park street!
Why can't people take it home with them and put it in their own bin!?

Liz Leffman
👍

Mon 31 Mar 2014, 13:42 (last edited on Mon 31 Mar 2014, 13:43)

If people can suggest exactly where they would like extra poo bins to be positioned then I can take this up with WODC. Please do not suggest anything that would require any construction eg: the insertion of a post, as that is unlikely to happen due to cost. However I doubt if extra bins would make much difference. We have bins in a lot of places and all anyone has to do is walk a few dozen yards at most to find one, but we still see poo left lying on pavements and footpaths. On Church Street the other morning I saw two piles left and yet there is a dog bin at the top of Church Street. The problem is not the provision of services by the council but the behaviour of some dog owners. We only have one dog warden for a very large area of the district, so she can only come to Charlbury every now and then, but perhaps we need to organise a group of volunteers who can work with her to catch people who are failing to pick up after their dogs.

Julie Negus
👍

Sun 30 Mar 2014, 22:04

Been speaking to my mum tonight, who is under the impression that the orange substance being used makes the dog poo bio degrade faster than it would normaly.
Sorry but it made me chuckle ;-)

Deborah Longshaw
👍

Fri 28 Mar 2014, 09:40

Also would like to add that there is a real lack of dog bins in the Ticknell /Ditchley lane area, it is obvious that those who have picked up there poo now just chuck it in the direction of the quarry, with the result of some interestingly decorated trees!

Deborah Longshaw
👍

Fri 28 Mar 2014, 09:37

Firstly, can I extend my gratitude to those even willing to attempt a solution to the dog poo-ing situation in Charlbury. Being a dog owner myself & also a mum ( although now my kids are both teenagers), I do clear up after my dog. Although I do understand the reasoning behind the bright orange marked poo, also do see Amanda's perspective as well. But here is a though, in my mind the only thing these days that appears to work is naming & shaming. With the problem clearly not improving, perhaps - with Richard's approval - there could be a 'Rogues Gallery' page on here. I recently watched a programme on Channel 5 in regards to persistent shoplifters, & the solution given to one poor shopkeeper blighted by them was a screen on his shop window displaying the 'stills' from his CCTV showing the perpetrators! Seemed to work! No one likes to be caught red handed, & I always have my mobile with me when walking my dog. I have a feeling that all it might take is a couple of months!!! Just a thought!

Valou Pakenham-Walsh
👍

Fri 28 Mar 2014, 08:28

Amanda, what you do is remarkably kind and generous. You are undeniably one of the many Charlbury residents who, through their actions, make the town a better place for all to enjoy. This thread gives me the opportunity to thank all those invisible community-minded people.
I realise that some people do not approve of the orange spraying, but hope that they will bear with us while we experiment.

Amanda
👍

Thu 27 Mar 2014, 18:21

It was not my intention to insult anyone but merely to put my personal views and opinions across, about this topic,this is what I believed the forum was for? I apologise if my views and opinions have offended.

Rhona Walker
👍

Thu 27 Mar 2014, 17:34

The orange painting brigade have been out in earnest in the Hixet Wood area this week. Although the idea behind it may be admirable, sadly it looks absolutely dreadful - and what's more it's clearly not having the desired effect as there are still plenty of heaps of poo scattered around. Seems to me that a plague of bright orange splodges is not much better than the poo that it (hopefully) covers. I can't see how orange poo is going to make much difference in encouraging irresponsible dog owners to stop and clean up their dog's mess. Can we have a re-think?? More poo bins might be a good start.

Helen Holwill
👍

Thu 27 Mar 2014, 11:00

It seems to me that there is some confusion between long term/short term actions here. I am assuming that the orange spray painting is a short-term experimental plan to try to change the behaviour of some dog owners. I think it is an inventive, interesting idea and as such I support it and I am appreciative of the efforts of all the volunteers. It would need to continue for some time, one presumes, before the effectiveness (or not) can be judged. Of course, the spraying isn't a long-term solution, as I'm sure all of those involved would agree, but it is designed to temporarily raise awareness. As such, it's worth a try. However, picking up mess left by other people's dogs, in my opinion, is not a good long-term option. It is unpleasant for others and is actually encouraging those causing the problem to take even less responsibility for their actions. Amanda - Valou has stated that 'evidence shows that it has already made a difference in many areas of the town', which surely means it is worth keeping an open mind about.

Emily Algar
👍

Thu 27 Mar 2014, 10:35

Amanda, after pretty much insulting me and everyone else (thanks for that) how would your alternative be any better. Yes, there would no orange spray paint highlighting the poo but the people leaving their dog poo would still do it and it might even encourage more people not to bother, as they'll know that someone else we pick up their dog's mess for them. I don't particular want to pick up other people's dog mess because they can't be bothered to.

Amanda
👍

Thu 27 Mar 2014, 10:23

If the orange poo campaign makes you all happy and prevents the odd person from stepping in it GREAT! But the problem of fouling the streets of Charlbury will still remain, sadly.

Amanda
👍

Thu 27 Mar 2014, 10:15

Emily fine, continue to paint the town orange rather than bend down and pick it up! I think the inital idea was to encourage folks to pick up the mess but it has not worked and chances are it will not!So all im saying is if you have the time and energy to paint the poo with no positive outcome surely then it would be far easier and better to just remove it from the area as at least it has then been removed. I have frequently had to remove it from my path,drive and front garden, if i had sprayed orange it would still be there offending me, would it not? If i had seen the offenders dog do it I would have confronted them and hopefully that would have made a difference too?

Emily Algar
👍

Thu 27 Mar 2014, 08:58

Me personally, I would rather have bright orange spray painted poo so I don't end up walking in it, than slightly more natural and inconspicuous poo that I end up walking through and into my house. Amanda, itt seems that your problem is not the poo itself but that everyone can see where the poo is and it just doesn't look very pretty!

Amanda
👍

Thu 27 Mar 2014, 07:16

Richard i have been picking up other peoples dog poo for years particularly from the play/goal area in ticknell field long before it was spray painted!

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Wed 26 Mar 2014, 22:41

Amanda - I think it's great you're volunteering to go round and pick up all the poo. You should find it easy to locate because some of it has orange circles around it! Let us all know how you get on.

Amanda
👍

Wed 26 Mar 2014, 19:26

But leaving it there and spraying it bright orange is just leaving it there! If the owners themselves picked it up before or after it was sprayed it would be ok but they are not so the poo is still there except now its brightly coloured! I can't understand why someone painted a bird plop in town this wkend are you now starting a graffiti attack on all animal poo cos theres plenty of cat poo in uunwanted areas of charlbury too???

Emily Algar
👍

Wed 26 Mar 2014, 19:20

Yes but "we" end up picking up the dog mess then that's not really an incentive for those who are leaving it is it? They'll just think, why bother someone else is going to do it. I am for photographing those that do it and then naming and shaming. Though the problem with this is that some people may use it maliciously.

Amanda
👍

Wed 26 Mar 2014, 19:13

100 poo bags 50p and some rubber gloves £1 photographing the humans that don't pick up and naming and shaming -A much better,cheaper and cleaner way to deal with the problem! Sorry just saying "shit happens!"

Valou Pakenham-Walsh
👍

Wed 26 Mar 2014, 14:33

I purchase the 400ml spray cans in bulk to keep the cost as low as possible (around £7 per can), and sell them on to volunteers. I am expecting a new delivery this week, so please let me know if you would like to purchase a can by calling me on 811338.

Amanda
👍

Wed 26 Mar 2014, 13:16

Intially i thought that the spray paint was a good highlighter of the dog poo problem in charlbury however i fear that it has not had the desired effect infact their seems to be double the amount of it since the spraying. Im relieved that its not harmful and its great if it prevents people from treading in it however it has not solved the problem. I too am a responsible dog owner and always carry poop bags and deposit it in dog bins!

Emily Algar
👍

Wed 26 Mar 2014, 13:09

Hi Valou, I know my mother Lesley and I would be more than happy to carry a can and use when we see dog mess in Charlbury. How would be go about getting involved? It really is disgusting that people cannot take responsibility for cleaning up their dog's mess. I also agree with what Georgina is saying. Name and shame the culprits with photographs. Yesterday evening someone had let that dog poo outside the library, which we nearly stepped in coming home. There is no excuse for that!

Jim Holah
👍

Wed 26 Mar 2014, 12:43

Hi Valou, I still have my can and will continue with the spraying as problems are identified, not only as a warning to others but also in the hope that irresponsible dog owners will clean up after their pets.

Georgina81
👍

Wed 26 Mar 2014, 11:48 (last edited on Wed 26 Mar 2014, 11:52)

I am so fed up with people letting there dogs foul outside my house on Nineacres lane. It makes me feel very depressed when I pull up my car the kids jump out stand in it and then walk it onto my lovely clean carpet, or they could stand in it on the path spread it from there shoes into shops, preschool and school for all the other children to share the delights upon there feet, this is not fair I will catch the person or persons who are responsible for these dogs, take photos then post them on here for everyone to see.
I think this is a great idea Valou may I have a can?.

Andrew Greenfield
👍

Wed 26 Mar 2014, 11:03

I agree, Valou. Amanda's "answer" to the problem is not going to get us any nearer to a solution to this horrible blot on some parts of the town.

Pointing out the offence to all people, including dog owners, hopefully might, and it certainly does help all to see the offending mess a lot easier than having to walk carefully looking at each and every footfall. As a dog owner who "picks up" I am amazed at how much mess is left in the most easily accessible places, eg on pavements and pathways, where the dog owner must have seen what was happening.

As the saying goes, "there's no such thing as a bad dog, only bad dog-owners"

Valou Pakenham-Walsh
👍

Wed 26 Mar 2014, 10:51

The spraying is an initiative from the local Neighbourhood Action Group, of which I am a member, to highlight the problem of dog fouling. It has a double purpose: state clearly that dog fouling is an eyesore (apart from being a public nuisance and a health hazard), but also warn people of the presence of dog poo. The spray is made of natural grinded chalk, which makes it non-toxic, and non-permanent. Nine Charlbury residents have so far volunteered to carry a spray can, and to use it as they walk about the town.
I hope that this information will allay your concerns about the environmental impact of the spray, and that it may help you to look at this initiative in a more favourable light, as evidence shows that it has already made a difference in many areas of the town.

Amanda
👍

Wed 26 Mar 2014, 09:40

I appreciate there is dog poo problem in charlbury however the person responsible for spraying toxic orange spray paint on the poo, needs to rethink their actions as this is not solving the issue but painting the town with harmful unsightly paint.if they are that obsessed with repeatedly walking the streets,hills, lanes and fields seeking out the poo to paint they may as well just pick it up and bin it! Problem solved!

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.