Free Poppy seeds for Charlbury residents

Leah Fowler
👍

Mon 14 Apr 2014, 17:41

Our poppy plugs have arrived and we have potted them on, hope it works.

Leah Fowler
👍

Wed 9 Apr 2014, 10:40

We have ordered Poppy 'Ladybird' plugs from the Radio Times :-
radiotimes.com/dvdshop15
0844 848 7300 quoting RT1152
36 plugs£9.99 (TCK47446)
72 plugs £14.98 (TCK47447)
Free P&P
closing date 19th May

Kate Smith
👍

Tue 8 Apr 2014, 12:47

Sorry to those who missed the delivery, I'm afraid they've arrived and been distributed now - but it's probably not too late to try planting them still, and the seeds still are available from Amazon - California Poppy Red Chief (make sure you get the ones from the UK not Hong Kong!) if you want to get your own - looking forward to a floriforous display later in the year!

Miles Walkden
👍

Sun 6 Apr 2014, 10:32

we would like some if possible, please.

Anthony Merry
👍

Sun 6 Apr 2014, 08:15

Thank you very much for the seeds have now planted them following the instructions and will let you know how they get on

Lesley Algar
👍

Fri 4 Apr 2014, 16:11

Yes, are there any spare seeds?

Pearl Manners
👍

Fri 4 Apr 2014, 12:31 (last edited on Sun 6 Apr 2014, 12:16)

May I have some poppy seeds please?

Liz Gupta
👍

Fri 4 Apr 2014, 09:16

Is it to late to request a pack?

Kate Smith
👍

Thu 3 Apr 2014, 15:29

Everyone who contacted us about poppy seeds: they have arrived, and Elaine at the Post Office has kindly agreed to hold them there, along with a list of all your names - just call in and pick them up! They are in plain packets, but the planting instructions are on the first post of this thread - remember that they need broken ground to germinate, so won't grow if you just sprinkle them among existing grass or plants; you will ned to clear a patch for them and keep them watered if it gets too dry (I wish!) and weed out the worst of the competing weeds to give them a chance.

Kate Smith
👍

Wed 26 Mar 2014, 10:04

THanks to everyone who has expressed an interest- we'll be ordering these on Friday so if anyone else would still like seeds please get in touch by then. Do remember poppies like open ground, and don't grow well in competition, so you will need to clear an area and break the ground, then keep them weeded and watered to give them a chance.

Anthony Merry
👍

Tue 25 Mar 2014, 10:41

i would also appreciate some if possible

Geoff Holmberg
👍

Sun 23 Mar 2014, 12:05

OK I'll pass your name to Kate Smith

Geoff

Heather Hill
👍

Sat 22 Mar 2014, 21:15

I would very much appreciate some seeds and also a packet for my dad if possible who also lives in Charlbury. Many thanks.

Geoff Holmberg
👍

Fri 21 Mar 2014, 14:34 (last edited on Fri 21 Mar 2014, 14:35)

The Shirley poppies the Garden Society is offering are nowhere near as invasive as the Field poppies which some outlets are selling. Whilst beautiful,and traditional, there can be problems if the seed from Field Poppies drifts onto farmers' fields etc. So our "Panel of Experts" at last night's Question Time urged people not to sow field poppies on verges or other public places etc where they might end up in fields - if they do they can be (sadly) a real pest to be got rid of. Field Poppy seeds can stay in the ground for more than 50 years and damage crops for a long time. Even though we love looking at them.

Hannen Beith
👍

Wed 19 Mar 2014, 19:40

Not sure. I have planted some poppy seeds at the front of our house overlooking Cornbury Park Estate. Should I wait to see if they germinate? packet said 3 weeks, and I sowed them 3 weeks ago...

Helen Chapman
👍

Tue 18 Mar 2014, 19:59

Yes please I would like some

Leah Fowler
👍

Tue 18 Mar 2014, 19:02

This is brilliant, thankyou for this Derek Fowler (Chairman Charlbury RBL )

Kate Smith
👍

Tue 18 Mar 2014, 10:48

Following on from the thread on Poppies, the Charlbury Garden Society are happy to provide poppy seed for local planting - anywhere it can be seen from the road. If anyone who would like a packet of red "Shirley ' poppy seeds, which are slightly easier to germinate and should flower this year, please let us know either on this thread or by e-mail to smith.bridge@gmail.com by the end of March, and we will order them to be picked up from Dyers Hill on the weekend of 5th /6th April.

Days To Germination: 10 -21. Planting Depth: 1/8 inch. Spacing, Plant: 8-12 inches. Plant Height: 6-8 inches. Light: Full Sun
Plant seed directly outdoors early through mid-spring in a sunny location with well-drained soil. Cultivate soil, mix seeds with cup of sand or soil and broadcast lightly over planting area. Lightly rake into soil or cover lightly to a depth of 1/8 inch.
Can be sown in the autumn in mild winter areas (they will self seed and survive the winter more than adequately by themselves). Keep soil moderately moist during germination.
Avoid over-watering once plants are established. Remove or cut off old flower bases for continued flowering throughout summer. Plants will self-sow if left to their own devices. California poppies thrive on a certain amount of neglect.
Professional DEFRA licenced Quality Seed Supply only - Minimal packaging - Ziplock labelled bags - Instructions not attached - See details provided above for cultivation advice.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.