Poppies

Nancy Whitfield
👍

Sat 15 Mar 2014, 20:07 (last edited on Mon 17 Mar 2014, 20:53)

Peter Bridgman, Chairman, Charlbury Garden Society comments:
Added Comments-
2 days ago a catalogue from Unwins arrived and I see that they are advertising field poppies in their wild flower section. You can buy from them both seeds of field poppies or a pack of small plants to plant out. The plants are quite expensive-£11.99 for 9 modules+£4.99postage- but would definitely flower this year, so long as they arrive in good condition and are not root disturbed when planting. Poppies are very hardy but the small plants may have been grown under protection so should be hardened off first. (Note-The seed may not germinate this year as it may need a period of cold to trigger germination.)
I do not know personally where to buy seed of wild poppies (the red ones we see in fields) but I do know that it is very difficult to get them to germinate. They need a period of cold and it is too late to provide that this year. What is very easy is to buy packets of Shirley poppies that are sold by most seedsmen and will germinate to flower this year. Unfortunately they mostly come in mixed colours but there may be some red types. Poppies are difficult to transplant unless grown in individual pots, so are best sown 'in situ'. There is I believe an opium type poppy called Danish Flag which is black and red, seed of which you may be able to find on Web Sites or locally. All annual poppies go quickly to seed so you will need to remove seed heads to keep them in flower and to avoid them becoming a pest in your garden! I hope this helps, Peter Bridgman, Chairman, Charlbury Garden Society.

Leah Fowler
👍

Sat 15 Mar 2014, 12:51

I have been told that one town near here is going to plant lots of red flowers as an insurance in case the poppies come out at the wrong time.

Leah Fowler
👍

Sun 9 Mar 2014, 12:10

Thankyou to everyone who is going to plant Poppies

Leah Fowler
👍

Fri 7 Mar 2014, 09:13

We have ordered poppy plugs from last weeks Radio Times

Liz Leffman
👍

Thu 6 Mar 2014, 16:50 (last edited on Thu 6 Mar 2014, 17:01)

There are poppy seeds available online, if they can't be found locally. Some sellers, like Thompson and Morgan, are donating sums to the British Legion and similar organisations.

stephen cavell
👍

Thu 6 Mar 2014, 14:58

B&Q Witney were selling poppy seeds at £2 per packet with £1 going to The British Legion Alas, as of Wednesday 5th March they had sold out. The assistant was not expecting any more in. Maybe other B&Q are still stocking them.

Leah Fowler
👍

Wed 5 Mar 2014, 17:05

Just a reminder, don't forget POPPIES

charlie clews
👍

Mon 3 Mar 2014, 11:53

Poppy seeds as with a lot of wildflower usually need a frost to kick start germination, that's why its best to seed them in Autumn (sorry not much help now) so I'd get them in the ground (in a sunny spot) or in a tray to plant out ASAP. Also make sure you buy an annual variety so it flowers this summer.

Alison Wright
👍

Sat 1 Mar 2014, 16:13

Thanks, I will!

Naomi Berger
👍

Fri 28 Feb 2014, 22:10

I would sow seed from mid-March to May.

Alison Wright
👍

Fri 28 Feb 2014, 17:49

I've just seen the news posting about growing poppies all over Charlbury this summer which I think is a lovely idea. Can anyone advise about the best time to sow poppy seeds?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.