'Sloe Gin'

Leah Fowler
👍

Tue 11 Feb 2014, 19:09

Thankyou for the idea of using coffee filterpapers for sloe gin, I have tried them for filtering stock for soup and it works really well

stephen cavell
👍

Wed 22 Jan 2014, 07:43

Don't worry about cloudiness, simply close your eyes and enjoy!

Andrea Swinburne
👍

Tue 21 Jan 2014, 07:22

I usually add sugar as I'm adding the sloe berries. Tastes good still. I'll decant it see if that helps with the cloudy colour & get some coffee filters to strain it. Haven't checked the other bottles yet!

Simon Walker
👍

Mon 20 Jan 2014, 21:01

Filtering it should remove any unwanted bits - try using coffee filter papers or something like that. If it's still cloudy after that, see if it settles once the bits have been removed - if so, decant or syphon off the clear liquid and leave the dregs behind.

We made two batches last year, one with sugar in from the start and one without, so we could add sugar to taste once we had taken the sloes out. The one with sugar is perfectly clear. The one without is cloudy. Just an observation.

Andrea Swinburne
👍

Mon 20 Jan 2014, 20:26

I make my own sloe gin but last years batch has turned out to be cloudy with bits in it. The bits are probably from the sloe berries as some have split. But the cloudy appearance I've not seen before. Anyone have any ideas what's caused this & would it still be safe to drink?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.