Moving to the country 10 top tips for a happy life

Lesley Algar
👍

Mon 2 Dec 2013, 12:26

www.league.org.uk

This is the link above . A mine of information.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Mon 2 Dec 2013, 10:45

I thought the funniest bit was the guy in the comments who launched into a spiel about "unfortunately 12 years ago I had to leave one of the Oxfordshire Cotswold villages because of the rapid influx of intolerable weekend home townies". From that, I expected him to be a farmer, a labourer, or some other horny-handed son of toil. Actually, if you click through to his site, you get "It's been a while since I started a new business venture because I have been so busy with writing my book, property investments, business coaching"...

Miles Walkden
👍

Mon 2 Dec 2013, 08:45

Nice find Tim. Very funny.

Mike Williams
👍

Sun 1 Dec 2013, 22:29

Interesting stuff Lesley. Can you provide us with the sources of your statements please? That would really help people make their minds up.

Many thanks

MikeW

Lesley Algar
👍

Sun 1 Dec 2013, 13:12

I am from London area and have lived here for 23 years. I have never killed any wild animals. I for one do not want to see pictures of mutilated foxes. The majority of the population are against the killing of wild animals.
Here is a the truth about fox hunting and to dispel myths:
Despite being regarded as a pest by some, foxes are not considered to be as much of a problem as rabbits1. As rabbits make up the majority of fox diets (in arable and pastoral landscapes) and are held responsible for £100 million of agricultural damage2 in comparison to the £12 million foxes cause3, they are by no means a main culprit of damage.

In studies the most common reason given to cull foxes was to reduce fox predation on livestock and game. Studies however have shown that lamb mortality due to foxes is so low as to be considered insignificant4 . It is a fiercely debated topic whether fox predation has a significant impact on wild game populations5. Studies into fox predation on pheasants during their time in release pens concluded that fox predation is perceived as a minor problem and that the average percentage loss was between 1% - 3% 6.

Alison Cherry
👍

Sat 30 Nov 2013, 23:28

certainly very true. met some of these types down from London last weekend at The Tite. - right idiots!

Tim at Cotswold Frames
👍

Thu 28 Nov 2013, 13:57

Had this sent to me, made me chuckle but how true some of it is click on the link

themakingprogressblues.wordpress.com/2013/11/26/moving-to-the-country-ten-top-tips-for-a-happy-life/

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.