Street Fair Entertaiment

Birgit den Outer
👍

Fri 27 Sep 2013, 14:10

I really enjoyed the Street Fair as always, but what really irritated me this year was that it looked as if it had been renamed as the Fairfax Street Fair. Was that amount of corporate sponsorship really necessary and/or worth it?

Ann Harper
👍

Tue 24 Sep 2013, 19:52

I think the Street Fair was, as usual, excellently organised. You Guys could have handled the D-Day Landings!

I was surprised at how many people brought their dogs to the Street Fair -all very well behaved. Perhaps a dog show next year although rather like baby shows it's a bit invidious to pick out one pooch.

Peter Kenrick
👍

Tue 24 Sep 2013, 01:34

Thanks for all your feedback - keep it coming! I'm very pleased that so many of you seemed to enjoy the event - that is our most important objective alongside raising money for the Corner House and Memorial Hall.

We certainly intend to get the Village Idiots back again next year if we possibly can so thanks for making that decision even easier!

I'm glad most of you liked Sol Samba. Not much that we can do about the loudness of the drums but if we have them back we can get them to move about more including round to the Bell Garden as we did in their second set.

Also, to clarify one of Andrew's points, ALL of the profits from the Pig Roast came to Street Fair. Ed very kindly provided the Pig Roast to us at cost. Thanks Ed. I also don't believe that the price was excessive given the excellent quality of the product.

Finally, if you enjoyed the day and think you can help us to make it even better in 2014, why not come and join the team! All are welcome. Drop me a line at CSFChairman@charlburystreetfair.org. Peter Kenrick - Street Fair Chairman.

Julie Negus
👍

Mon 23 Sep 2013, 16:26

Great day great entertainment, only criticism on the day time entertainment was Punch and Judy was at the same time as the fire display couldn't be in 2 places at once. Willy Wonka was amazing and great credit to all involved. The Mighty Redox wasn't my cup of tea but Stonesfield Village Idiots were fantastic.
Bric a Brac many thanks we brought a great collection of items home.

All in all a fabulous day :-)

Wendy Bailey
👍

Mon 23 Sep 2013, 16:04

Soul Samba were fantastic and for me not too loud.I don't know how they could play quietly(?).Their enthusiasm was infectious.I wanted to join in!
The Village Idiots was the best final act you could have had: simply brilliant! Both should come back next year.But the stroke of genius was having the school children as the afternoon's final act. The chorographer was inexhaustible - both deserve an award: 5*,gold star and a tick, 'Very Good'.
Can't praise them highly enough. Just THANK YOU for a wonderful performance.

Helen Holwill
👍

Mon 23 Sep 2013, 15:37

Sol Samba - simply brilliant.

Charlie M
👍

Mon 23 Sep 2013, 07:22 (last edited on Mon 23 Sep 2013, 07:32)

All I can really comment on is the evening music: The Mighty Redox provided a great start, with some good inventive music, very refreshing in these modern days of awful bland x-factor type rubbish. The Stonesfield Village Idiots are masters (and mistresses!) of what they do, and for me it would be unthinkable if they were not booked again for next year. They are simply the best "covers band" I have ever seen, and are perfect for an occasion such as Street Fair (even though personally I would have been very happy for them to leave out the Robby Williams song!). I think what I particularly noticed about them was their "attitude" to what is Charlbury's premiere town event: they were pleased to be here, and it showed! And I must mention one more time - their version of JJ Cale's "Call Me The Breeze" ROCKED! Please book them for next year!
Regarding the PA system: here I think one is the victim of the layout. The poor sound engineer was monitoring the evening music through headphones, the sound board being placed beside the stage, so he had little scope with which to judge the output, except by running out to the front every so often. Hardly ideal, but in the circumstances I think he did a great job. As for the daytime, the Samba band were loud, but c'mon folks - THIS IS STREET FAIR! Sadly for me, the Morris sides' music was correspondingly far too quiet. Stick a mic or two in front of them next year! ;-)

Andrew Greenfield
👍

Sun 22 Sep 2013, 20:57

The biggest problem I felt was that the PA system needed setting up better, either slightly louder or with more treble, as everything was very muffled even where we were on the bric-a-brac stall. Perhaps the speakers were sited differently from last year, but this was the first time we have had such a problem hearing anything. A lot of Martin's announcements were inaudible, and the auction was completely lost on us as we could not hear anything at all of that.

Personally, I loved Sol Samba and was not aware that they were too loud, though I admit that they were completely hidden from us by the crowds who surrounded them, so their volume may have been reduced a bit by the time it got to us.

There seemed to be plenty of food stalls, though I only used the Pig-Roast which was excellent, if a bit costly. Still I gather that some of their profit came back to Street Fair, so that means the cost is a bit more appropriate.

Overall it was a very good day, and the weather was with us again; aren't we lucky!

Jean Adams
👍

Sun 22 Sep 2013, 19:05

Sol Samba, while entertaining, was too loud and Stallholders could not hear their customers. The Stonesfield Idiots were brilliant and we would feel deprived if they were not there in 2014. Layla Claridge made a wonderful and very professional Compere. The Auctioneer gave away the game citing 2012 prices achieved and not starting with silent auction declarations. Oxford Pizza as usual were excellent and sold out, Churros also were popular. I did not try anything else. I hope this helps. Jean Adams

Rachael Lunney
👍

Sun 22 Sep 2013, 14:43

Please wouuld you let us know you thoughts on the Day time Ie, Sol Samba, Punch and judy/ Magic Show and bands. any thoughts please as feedback is good so how we now to book for next year.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.