Please, please leave my poster alone !

Kat Patrick
👍

Fri 20 Sep 2013, 20:16

I'm not pointing fingers at business and such-like, though I think Jon makes a good point about businesses hi-jacking the places around time that are meant for notices. What annoys me most are those posters that aren't timely, but instead, seem to move in for the duration.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Fri 20 Sep 2013, 14:29 (last edited on Fri 20 Sep 2013, 15:02)

I wouldn't say 'shouldn't'. I just think it's worth thinking about. I spend a lot on advertising in Charlbury and elsewhere. And most shops spend a great deal more than I do. Also, it depends on what we think the noticeboards are for, and who provides them. As Glena has shown, it's an interesting debate.

I'm surprised you don't advertise your business on this website, which does provide a completely free advertising space for businesses of all shapes and sizes, visible and otherwise. And prospective customers could Google for you too!

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Fri 20 Sep 2013, 13:14

Jon, I advertise my gardening business on posters. Are you saying as a Charlbury resident I shouldn't do this? The difference IMO is that you as a shopkeeper have a visible premises, I don't.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Fri 20 Sep 2013, 12:02

Perhaps we all need to be more proactive in removing posters that are (1) for events at some distance (especially Oxford, Witney, Banbury!), or (2) for businesses.

Among the latter I'd include yoga practitioners and other therapists and people selling their services: like us shopkeepers, they earn their living from what they do, and if the shops in Charlbury (and Chad and Finstock and Enstone) covered the local noticeboards with posters, there would be an outcry.

mandy
👍

Wed 18 Sep 2013, 23:24

if i put posters on that board they get take down for some reason dont bother now i just put them up in the londas shop.

glena chadwick
👍

Tue 17 Sep 2013, 19:52

Twice this week I have had a poster I put up on the main notice board outside the Corner House removed or covered up. It is for 'Someone who'll watch over me', a production at the Theatre, Chipping Norton. There has always been an argument as to whether the board is only for events happening in Charlbury but a) there are other posters that are for things outside the town and they haven't been touched and b) I have always supported the view that things happening near to Charlbury and of interest to Charlbury people should be allowed to be displayed. Also there are posters for things happening way into October whereas this play runs from Sept. 19th till 28th. Many people in Charlbury are closely involved with the Theatre and lots more go regularly or occasionally and enjoy it very much. If it didn't exist the life of many Charlburians would be much less enjoyable. This is one of our homegrown productions and needs our support. I think this poster is much more relevant to Charlbury than commercial ones about individual classes or witches' evenings in Oxford.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.