traffic in Market Street

Jim Holah
👍

Thu 12 Sep 2013, 17:36

Look forward to it. We should have an initial summary of comments made, by theme, at the Street Fair, which reflects your points Stephen. Better coordination could make a bigger impact, through our District & County Councillors, which is where the responsibility for roads & traffic management sits, rather than a single issue petition is all, however, people must decide their preferred route on this, no pun intended.

stephen cavell
👍

Wed 11 Sep 2013, 16:13

I would favour Jim Holah's approach, to take a more wholistic view of the traffic problems in Charlbury. Not only the routing of heavy traffic but also the use/misuse of double yellow lines and traffic calming. From a personal view point I think that traffic between Enstone X Roads and Browns Lane should be slowed down. Can 20mph limits be introduced? Should we be taking professional advice? See you at the Street Fair Jim.

David Pollock
👍

Tue 10 Sep 2013, 19:09

Thank you everyone.. points well made. A petition will now be drafted!

On the removals and delivery point, there clearly does need to be a mechanism by which this can be permitted; but very large vehicles should still, I believe, be prohibited in normal circumstances.

In the first instance, though, I suggest we focus on through traffic.

All the best

David

All the best

Jim Holah
👍

Tue 10 Sep 2013, 14:41

An alternative approach may be to get involved in the Community Led Plan responses, many of which have already mentioned the same problems as you highlight. You can still make these comments online through this website or see us at our stall at the Street Fair where we will continue to gather views, concerns, problems and ideas that will find their way into our report / proposals / questionnaire and then on to the relevant authorities / organisations for action. See our Community Led Plan page under "community" on this site.

Liz Leffman
👍

Tue 10 Sep 2013, 10:30

I have just watched a 40 foot Co-op lorry try (unsuccessfully) to turn from Brown's Lane into Market Street. This was probably a genuine mistake on the part of a driver who did not know Charlbury, but I shall write to the Co-op to ask them to tell their drivers to turn left and go up Enstone Road and then round Nine Acres Lane.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Mon 9 Sep 2013, 22:01

Agree completely. A lot of the present traffic in Market Street only gets through by mounting the pavement. This is clearly wrong. Hardly any of the large vehicles are delivering in the street, though of course any large vehicle delivering to Park or Church Streets needs to exit via Market Street (Sheep St is worse!).

Speeding traffic is a constant hazard as fast drivers prefer to drive through town from Fiveways rather than go via The Slade and Nineacres. 30mph is far too fast.

Good on you, David and Sally. I'll sign.

Emily Algar
👍

Mon 9 Sep 2013, 11:45

Question: Would condition number 1 be overlooked for removal and delivery vans that need to come down Market Street?

David Pollock
👍

Sun 8 Sep 2013, 11:39

Hi everyone,

Following Charlbury's recent success in persuading the Council to put up temporary warning signs to discourage heavy traffic in town and especially in Market Street, we need to achieve a permanent improvement. Once the present scaffolding has been struck there will continue to be a dangerous problem unless we can restrict overweight traffic.

Sally and I , together with Sue Corbett and other neighbours, are minded to set up a petition to lobby the Council to ensure that there is:

(1) effective permanent signage to prevent large lorries and buses using streets such as Market Street where passage is impossible without their mounting the pavement.

2)Effective traffic calming to prevent dangerous speeding through the same streets.

Before we get stuck in, collecting signatures etc, we thought we would ask people to express their support (and any reservations) via the website.

We look forward to hearing from you

David and Sally

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.