Where do all the Helicopters come from??

Andrew Bennett
👍

Fri 30 Jun 2006, 10:15

If they were looking for a flasher they must have had a laugh when I went into the back garden in a semi naked state (not a pretty sight) to find out why they were circling our house.
Most of the helicopers look civilian, so I would think they are flying to and from Oxford Airport.
Whilst we get a few low flying military aircraft and the odd helicopter we should think ourselves lucky. We used to live in Wiltshire where the Hercules flew so low you could wave at the crew standing in the open "tailgate" and they would wave back! When the local base got there new Apache attack helicopters I found myself being frequently stalked by training pilots whilst driving my car. They would lurk behind trees or ridges, then suddenly appear and fly at you at high speed, presumably having successfully simulated my violent destruction!

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Sat 17 Jun 2006, 12:58

The particular helicopter that was causing so much trouble last Friday was in fact as someone said a police helicopter looking for a flasher. There were 3 police cars also roaming Charlbury at the same time. However, with the general training of pilots, I can see why they need to do this, and yes Gary, I would appreciate it if they rescued my off some mountain, however why do it over a residential area ? There is plently of land over England where they are not many houses where they could practice. It doesnt take long to fly anywhere in a helicopter !

Gary McAlea
👍

Sat 17 Jun 2006, 03:31

The helicopters come from RAF Benson. The reason they fly so late in the summer is so the crews can keep current on instrument and NVG flying. If you wish them to stop persuade the local farmers not to let them use the land. As for me it does not bother me as I know that these are the same people who if need be will fly in all weathers to rescue anyone in distress when they will use their night flying skills they have honed over Oxfordshire.

Alex Westbury
👍

Tue 13 Jun 2006, 21:15

Whoever organises and decides where the helicopters go obviously don't have children! As a parent of 10 month old twins it is important that they get their slep and even more important that I get mine!!!!

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Tue 13 Jun 2006, 14:32

The following appeared in the Finstock village newslettrer three years ago. Apparently the RAF has "friendly farmers" who allow them to exercise regardless of local nuisance. Cornbury Park is another "friendly farmer". Apparently RAF Benson had several phone calls as a result of this and were quite angry.

"Low flying aircraft complaints regarding noisy helicopters over Finstock can be made during the day to Fiona Brown, the Corporate Communications Officer at RAF Benson, on 01491 827245, whereas at night one phones Benson station operations on 01491 827272. The present night flying exercise should finish tonight but according to Fiona we have less low flying operations than other areas and could therefore expect more in the future.

Katie Ewer
👍

Mon 12 Jun 2006, 14:23

I sympathise Susie. Every time the 'copters come over they frighten my chickens, which I know seems petty, considering they are defending the nation etc, but the UK is a big country with lots of large uninhabited areas. Helicopters can reach these areas quickly for training exercises, so I don't think it's entirely necessary for them to practise on our doorsteps in the middle of the night or glorious weekends! It is also a real safety issue for horse riders as low flying helicopters have caused at least one fatality in recent years.

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Sat 10 Jun 2006, 11:03

Well the helicopter was right over our house yesterday ! We were trying to have a nice conversation with friends in the garden ! It was so loud that the dogs all started barking around us - I felt sorry for anyone with kids who were trying to sleep. We contacted both air traffic control in Farnham and the police; the police denied all knowledge of the helicopter - it certainly didnt look like one of theirs. However, after about 10 minutes of complaining, the copter left. Curiouser, and curiouser !

Julie Negus
👍

Sat 10 Jun 2006, 09:16

Apparently the police were looking for a flasher, never a dull moment in Charlbury.

Tom Lindley
👍

Fri 9 Jun 2006, 22:29

This evening a Police helicopter was going round and round for about 10 minutes. Does anyone know why ?

Birgit den Outer
👍

Fri 9 Jun 2006, 21:01

After a few disturbing nights, Matthew and JJ (husband and son) walked over to Banbury Hill Farm yestarday afternoon to enquire. We had heard that BHF give permission to the army to use the fields (see also previous thread). This turns out to be true but the owner also doesn't know when they are going to come next - one night they came three times after 12 and it really is like a helicopter has just landed in our bedroom. If it is about practising landing and taking off in the dark, 5 pm in any month from November to February seems like a civil time to me...

kate southey
👍

Thu 8 Jun 2006, 21:51

Yunno, I'm getting quite attached to them now having previously found them annoying! I enjoyed listening to them last night and one flew down the length of the field behind my bedrom window which was a pretty cool sight!
Kate x

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Thu 8 Jun 2006, 18:49

Previous thread here (maybe I should get round to adding a search facility!). We even had a 'doctored' top-of-page graphic with helicopters on it for a few days...

Katie Ewer
👍

Thu 8 Jun 2006, 16:24

Hmmm, been here before. I live in Fawler and we regularly have helicopters flying very low over the village (100ft). They also practice landing and taking off in the dark in a farmers field about 50m from my house. Obviously this has to be at night and they usually start about 11.30pm. I have enquired about this. They are not RAF helicopters from Brize, but Navy from Marham apparently. There is no limit on how low or when they can fly, but their guidelines say they should be 'neighbourly' to local residents. The bottom line is there isn't much you can do about it. I got nowhere with the 'low flying complaints line' mainly because the phone was NEVER answered, which is a pretty good way to make sure no-one complains.......Unfortunately we live in a part of the country with heavily congested airspace and we are on a corridor between lots of restricted spaces. Maybe if enough people complained, something might happen, but they are not breaking any rules. If you do want to complain here is the link:
http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/ContactUs/LowFlyingComplaints.htm

Elizabeth Watson
👍

Thu 8 Jun 2006, 07:45

Apparently they're from Brize. (A have a flying source!) Ditto too - last night was a nightmare it was like living back in London under the flight path to Heathrow!!!

Alex Westbury
👍

Wed 7 Jun 2006, 22:32

We seem to have a very busy airspace around the town. Especially in the middle of last night! Where do all the Helicopters come from and where are they going? And why do they have to fly so low?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.