Any help ?

Julie Negus
👍

Wed 3 Jul 2013, 22:23

Ahhh it sure does quizzed mum tonight she moved to Cornbury in '63
Dad left school in '62 & worked for Blenheim but didn't like the way they did things so his dad got him a job on Cornbury.

But my dads dad worked as an office clerk at Cornbury, if they come up with anything else will keep you posted.
Hopefully someone else will also come along with info :-)

Alec Sime
👍

Wed 3 Jul 2013, 14:17

Julie,
The plot thickens eh? Thanks for your reply. Any other information keep it coming its making an old man realise his memory might not be that bad after all.If we make it back for a visit one day I would love a drink and chat with your dad over a pint of Watneys Red Barrel
Alec

Julie Negus
👍

Wed 3 Jul 2013, 13:56

Hi Alec & Bryan
My dad was born at Rangers Lodge in about '48 his father worked at Cornbury. Dad then went on to work on the agricultural side of Cornbury until 20 years ago.
Mum lived at Southhill with her family as her dad was head groom all in the days of Hughes Hallet.
So they met through Cornbury, they're still living in Charlbury. If you do ever visit you'll find my dad frequenting one of the locals every Friday & Saturday evening only too happy to talk history !

Alec Sime
👍

Wed 3 Jul 2013, 13:39

Bryan,
Will do...Alec

Bryan Silman
👍

Wed 3 Jul 2013, 13:15

Alec
Thanks for your reply, when Cornbury was sold Mrs Watney went to live
at the Manor in Finstock, a much smaller house, i did not live in
Charlbury but worked for a building firm that did a lot of work at
Cornbury, and R L . i think a lot of work has been done to the main house
as of now, i dont know about Cornbury. for the last 10 years i have
lived in THAILAND. any more names you can think of that you knew
, and i knew. hope you hear more.keep in touch if you do. Bryan

Alec Sime
👍

Wed 3 Jul 2013, 10:34

Bryan,
Thanks for the response to my e-mail. I can recall the Hughes Hallett family as my mother helped to clean what I recall was a massive property. I can remember one of the sons called Thomas. Ithink at the time living in the cottages Mr Wiltshire was a gamekeeper? Are the cottages and house there ? Do you still live in Charlbury? It must have been wonderful working in the estate from what I can remember it was huge adventureland !!
Alec

Bryan Silman
👍

Wed 3 Jul 2013, 02:22

Hi Alec Sime.
I worked about Cornbury Park, and Rangers Lodge about that time,
Huhges Hallett lived at Rangers Lodge, Les Scott was gardener there,
Tommy Cox was like forman on the maintanance side on Cornbury,
a chap called Haines was Watneys Chauffeur, Sorry i dont recall
your family,Thanks for taking me back a lot of years.

Bryan Silman

Alec Sime
👍

Mon 1 Jul 2013, 12:20

I lived in Charlbury from approx. 1959 to 1963. We stayed at Rangers Lodge cottages and my father worked as butler to the Watney household in Cornbury Park. I went to Charlbury school and although its a long shot I wondered if anyone can still recall my family or has any photos from around the time ? I am living just outside Edinburgh and possibly would like to return with my wife for a few days break. Any info on the Watneys, Rangers Lodge etc would be appreciated......Alec Sime

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.