I K Brunel is 200 years old

John Dora
👍

Thu 18 May 2006, 21:25

Charlbury folk might be aware that this year is the 200th anniversary of Isambard Brunel's birthday.

'IKB', as he is affectionately known, was the first Engineer to the Great Western Railway (among other enterprises and appointments) and has a connection with the town, in that the station building is an example of his Italianate Chalet style of building. Another similar example exists at Mortimer ('tixt Reading and Basingstoke) but Charlbury has the only surviving example of a wooden chalet structure. The station building is merely 152 years old.

Many celebration have been held in the West - centred around Plymouth and Bristol - to celebrate IKB's birthday (it was on 9th April) - I think it would be appropriate for our town to have some sort of celebration - even if only a pint in the great man's honour!

Being a bit of a Brunel fan myself (did you guess?)I would not mind arranging some sort of celebration if there was demand for such. ANyone interested?

John

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.