Charlbury architecture

David Pollock
👍

Sat 1 Jun 2013, 10:09

I shall certainly keep my eyes open for relevant info or indications.

Thank you to all who have responded to my original request for info about architectural features in Charlbury.. and if there is anyone else out there who would like to suggest features worth exploring,please let me know!

All the best

David Pollock

Anthony Merry
👍

Wed 29 May 2013, 18:15

Good luck with this sounds like an interesting project. The Charlbury Historical Research group is transcribing old wills at the moment and we saw that there were many traders in Charlbury in the 17th and 18th centuries but no indication where they may have been based. Perhaps your work will help us to identify properties where they may have been trading from.

David Pollock
👍

Tue 28 May 2013, 13:09

Good Afternoon all!

I am doing a Postgrad Certificate in Architectural History at Rewley House and have opted to write my dissertation on Charlbury.

I am interested in the ways in which building in the town has followed the fortunes of the Community; and I would be particularly glad to know about signs of early construction.

If your house has interesting features and you would be prepared to allow me to visit and take some photos, please let me know.

As well as features of the stone buildings that we can see today, I am interested in features that may date from before the stone phase. Evidence of eignificant timber or outward-sloping walls (the latter sometimes suggesting mud construction subsequently replaced piecemeal with stone) would be particularly valuable.

I would be very grateful for your help in researching this subject; and I would of course be very pleased to share with you the results of my work.

Thank you to all those who have already agreed to let me feature their properties; and thanks in advance to those who may respond to this appeal!

Hoping to hear from you...

David Pollock

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.