Events in neighbouring villages - experimental feature

Christine Elliott
👍

Wed 22 May 2013, 20:52

Charlbury Green Hub lists a selection of events with environmental/sustainable/ethical interest which are easily accessible from Charlbury so can be West Oxfordshire, Oxford, or London.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Wed 15 May 2013, 16:31

Might add links to these non-Charlbury organisations that serve Charlbury?

www.nc3.org.uk/future.asp

www.cncs.org.uk/AboutUs/AboutText.html

www.chippingnortontheatre.co.uk/index.php?p=whatson&g=all

Charlbury people are involved/perform at all these, too.

Also

www.chadlingtonfestival.org.uk/events/2013-festival-events/

www.lenthallconcerts.org.uk/

Just thinking aloud...

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Wed 15 May 2013, 15:42

That's a great idea. I'll add Daily Info. Any other suggestions for good local events listings?

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Wed 15 May 2013, 14:56

Totally right, Richard. But maybe we could have a list of links to the diary pages of 'local' village and town websites in the left hand sidebar of the Events page, so people can look round for themselves. Including Daily Information for Oxford.

Edward Fenton
👍

Wed 15 May 2013, 14:28

I agree with you, Richard ... charlbury.info is a great way of promoting events, but it's not the only way. One of the reasons why the Charlbury Beer Festival is always so well attended is that the publicity team and others on the Beer Festival committee work so hard to promote it in lots of different ways: with posters in all the neighbouring towns and villages, and through press releases, local radio, local newsletters and listings magazines, etc. etc.

We also benefit from word of mouth: the Charlbury Beer Festival is such a great family event that people tell their friends and come back year after year. We look forward to seeing you there on 29 June!

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Wed 15 May 2013, 13:25

Always open to suggestions. But we're not the entirety of the web, nor should we seek to be. Chippy has its own website; so does Woodstock; so does Banbury; Oxford has hundreds. I don't expect that charlbury.info is the only website that Charlbury people look at, and it shouldn't be.

Certainly yes, some people would certainly appreciate knowing about the Chippy beer festival. I'm sure others would like to know what's going on at Chippy Theatre. Personally I'd quite like to know what repertoire is being sung at the Oxford college Evensongs, and if there are any organ recitals on there. Others might like to know what's being hosted throughout north/west Oxfordshire by the local branches of the RSPB or BBONT or whatever. And so on. But before you know it the events page is 300 entries long and you can't see the Charlbury entries for the trees. I'd hope that what we have here is a sensible compromise.

Carl Perkins
👍

Wed 15 May 2013, 13:05 (last edited on Wed 15 May 2013, 13:06)

Why is there such a limit on events in nearby places being published on this forum? I would be interested to know more about things going on in nearby towns as well as villages. Charlbury beer festival gets a very good contingent of punters coming from all over the area - boosting takings and donations. Chippy beer festival gets the opposite due to lack of publicity in outlying towns and villages.

Finstock and Chadlington too - why have limited publicity? There was a beer festival in Leafield over the previous bank holiday weekend with hardly any people there. Seems a shame when people put a lot of time and energy into doing something for everyone to enjoy, only to be told they cannot promote outside of the village gates. I thought we'd moved on from the Dark Ages!

Pippa Nash
👍

Tue 14 May 2013, 20:37

I also like this feature, thanks Richard, good to have a trial to see how it goes.

Christine Elliott
👍

Fri 10 May 2013, 14:37

Very good idea - I like this new feature, but the name of the neighbouring village needs to be in the Event Name so it's clearly visible on the events page - could this be included in the instructions when posting an event please.

Sue Normand
👍

Fri 10 May 2013, 12:37

Good idea - its always good to know of local events to support before you miss them! Chad arts fest is one, plus events in Spelsbury..

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Fri 10 May 2013, 11:06

Good idea - I've just upped the number of ads shown on the page from 40 to 70.

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Thu 9 May 2013, 20:38

Brilliant idea Richard. Any chance of either extending the time adverts are showing, or archiving them off, so that they can be accessed. Because this is so popular at the moment only 9 days worth of adverts are showing.

russell robson
👍

Thu 9 May 2013, 20:11

Great idea Richard

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Thu 9 May 2013, 18:54

Good idea, I think. Enstone has a website but the village doesn't use it. There was a Finstock site but I think it's dead. Chadlington is in the process of setting one up, I believe. Great things happen, especially in Chad, which we never get to hear about!

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Thu 9 May 2013, 14:59

I'm trying out a variation on the events listings whereby events in immediately neighbouring villages can be listed with reduced prominence.

When you're adding an event, you can now click a button to say 'Event in neighbouring village'. Such events won't appear on the front page, and only the event name appears on the main events page, but you can click through from the events page for the full details. You'll see there are a couple of Finstock events on the page already.

Finstock and Chadlington, in particular, do not have their own village websites at present. The result is that we have a fairly continuous stream of events organisers submitting their details to the Charlbury website. Given that the notice board outside the Corner House accepts non-Charlbury events, I thought I'd give this reduced prominence a go to see how it worked.

This is only an experimental feature - I'll keep it under review to see how it goes. It definitely only applies to events (not news, adverts or business listings), and only to immediately neighbouring villages (Finstock and Chadlington fine, Woodstock and Chippy no).

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.