Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Thu 16 May 2013, 11:24

OK Christine, signed! Thanks.

Liz Leffman
👍

Thu 16 May 2013, 09:04

Just to be clear, the CAB is not making a representation against the closure, we are seeking information from our clients as to how a change of location might affect them

Christine Battersby
👍

Tue 14 May 2013, 18:46 (last edited on Tue 14 May 2013, 18:48)

Jon, There's loads of information here: www.cwu.org/the-future-of-the-post-office.html

Follow the links for more information, especially the one about the 'locals' model. Witney is a Crown Post Office, & provides services that are not available in many of the smaller branches (such as passport checking or foreign currency on demand).

It's a…

Long post - click to read full text

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Tue 14 May 2013, 11:36

If I sign this, I'm saying: "The plans for a franchise in another retailer will not be sufficient for the needs of needs of Witney residents who depend on the vital services the Post Office offers."

Overlooking the careless duplication of "needs of", which reinforces any suspicion that this is a glib and ill-thought out petition, what grounds do I have for believing this to be true?

I've always found Witney PO a most unpleasant and overcrowded place. I'd tend to assume that another shop would provide a better environment and would work to avoid unnecessary queues, as overcrowding would be against the interests of their existing business.

I'd gladly sign the petition if I believed the assumptions the authors make are true. Can anyone help? Charlbury and Finstock POs are within shops and work very well, as I think does the one in Woodstock.

Pearl Manners
👍

Mon 13 May 2013, 15:03

Thank you Heather. I did see that and clicked on it but nothing seemed to happen, at least there was nothing to tell me I had been successful in doing so. Unfortunately I stupidly deleted the email, what I will do is watch out and if I get any further contact email from them I will have another go. It's very kind of you.

Heather Donegan
👍

Mon 13 May 2013, 14:39

Pearl, you can unsubscribe. It's right down at the bottom of the email.

Pearl Manners
👍

Sat 11 May 2013, 10:47

I actually wish I hadn't signed this petition now as got email relating to other than the particular closure of Witney Post Office which wouldn't let me unsubscribe. I do hope that doesn't mean I am going to be inundated with unwanted emails! I have deleted it.

I had already signed local one for our Post Office some time back which fortunately you didn't have to do on line.

Liz Leffman
👍

Thu 9 May 2013, 12:45 (last edited on Thu 9 May 2013, 12:45)

The CAB is conducting a survey among clients to see how people will be affected by the move. This information will be passed on to WODC who will be making their own (non-political) representation to the Post Office authorities.

Christine Battersby
👍

Thu 9 May 2013, 10:12

The main Post Office in Witney is under threat of closure, with the plan being to relocate its facilities within a shop.

There's an e-petition objecting to the proposal here: www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/post-office-save-witney-post-office-services

Although we are lucky enough to have our own Post Office here in Charlbury (where the queues are always better than in Witney), its closure would badly affect those who go into Witney to work, to bank and to shop. Given that the Witney Post Office is so heavily used at present, it seems an astonishing and ridiculous proposal.

It's a Labour party petition, but will be presented to the Post Office management towards the end of June by representatives from various political backgrounds, including the local MP.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.