Radio reception

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Sat 9 Mar 2013, 09:12

I'd be surprised if the Walcott relay doesn't give you more radio channels than FM, even so. And most of Charlbury gets Freeview from Oxford now, with far more radio than I want to hear! The point about Internet radio is that the choice is so big you really can find stations you will enjoy. And you can choose quality of stream on many stations. TV will eat up your data allowance faster, but assuming a 40Gb monthly allowance, you'll get one hell of a lot of radio. There are websites that do the sums for you.

Andrew Greenfield
👍

Fri 8 Mar 2013, 20:05

To contradict, in part at least, Jon Carpenter and John Munro, freeview does not give you very many radio stations, or not if your freeview comes from Walcot booster, at any rate. Maybe it is better from the main Oxford transmitter, but that seems to give a very uncertain reception even up here in Little Lees, one of the highest areas of the town.

I shall stick with my FM tuner and Hi-Fi using a good outdoor aerial which gives superior sound quality to DAB.

Charlie M
👍

Fri 8 Mar 2013, 18:22

I'm with Mr. Greenfield on this. No one has yet managed to put forward any good argument as to why we should all rush, Gadarene swine-like, into the realm of digital radio. It seems to me that it is a case of change for change's sake. And, if reception in Charlbury is as patchy as some are saying, it all rather reminds me of The Earl of Chesterfield's famous comment about ... err ... something else (!) ... "The position is ridiculous, the pleasure momentary ... and the expense ... DAMNABLE!".

John Munro
👍

Fri 8 Mar 2013, 18:07

Another option is to use your digital TV to listen to the radio!

Joan's warning about data usage on wi-fi is very important - unless you have an unlimited download package (or very large allowance) streaming/listening via the Internet with wipe put your allowance in a wink...same goes if you watch TV via the Internet....

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Fri 8 Mar 2013, 14:35 (last edited on Fri 8 Mar 2013, 16:42)

Yes, internet radio is best. See tunein.com, and the Tunein app works a treat, and you can play through your existing stereo or even telly. Through your computer, iPod or iPhone or similar, so you don't actually need to buy a new radio as such. All this DAB malarkey is probably a temporary aberration in the history of radio, and the UK has gone for an inferior system anyway, so I read.

Just check you won't exceed your monthly download allowance.

Or of course listen to lots of stations on Freeview or Freesat.

Pippa Nash
👍

Fri 8 Mar 2013, 11:47

We have a DAB radio, but recently we could only receive two stations - FM was no better, so I am inclined to think it may be the EVOKE radio that is not working. Even so, I didn't want to risk buying another so we have opted for a WiFi radio, which is excellent and I can get much more stations than before. We were listening to the local station of the Canadian Student who is staying with us. Wifi radio highly recommended.

stephen cavell
👍

Fri 8 Mar 2013, 09:38

Reception of DAB in Charlbury is very patchy. I used to drive from Cambridge to Charlbury with a portable radio beside me listening to cricket - perfect reception up to the bottom of the slope just before entering Charlbury on the Enstone Rd then silence til I arrived home (on the Enstone X roads) Once in the house I have to pick my spot in each room to place the radio. Never too close to the computer. Otherwise I find DAB great!!

Andrew Greenfield
👍

Thu 7 Mar 2013, 22:03

I have not yet moved to DAB radio from FM, and if all these reports are typical of reception in Charlbury, I think I shall stick with FM until such time as there is no choice.

Poor TV signal! Poor DAB signal! We really are in a terrible backwater for terrestrial broadcasts, aren't we?

Liz Leffman
👍

Thu 7 Mar 2013, 17:36

We can only get DAB radio at the bottom of the garden

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Thu 7 Mar 2013, 17:34

I think we had to get a special aerial to get this

Shelagh Scott
👍

Thu 7 Mar 2013, 16:41

I've bought a DAB radio for the kitchen, & can't receive radio 5. I now see on the BBC website that we cannot receive digital radio at this postcode. Anything I can do about this?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.