Dog poo (again)

Helen Chapman
👍

Mon 1 Jul 2013, 21:13

Just wanted to revisit this post and cautiously say I think the situation has improved in Sheep St, Pooles Lane and Market St recently. I hope other people think so too. So thank you to Valou and others who have been helping to sort this issue out.

Liz Leffman
👍

Wed 20 Mar 2013, 16:46

WODC have cut expenditure to the bone and they have very few staff in that department. When we had snow earlier on they were deployed to salt the pavements, which is why the bins were overflowing then. The price we pay for no increase in council tax I'm afraid.

Julie Negus
👍

Tue 19 Mar 2013, 21:06

Liz thats great that things are back to normal.
Thank you for following this up. But surely if a member of staff is off it is up to WODC to have another member of staff continue the work.
Or in other words when this person goes on holiday don't expect your bins to be emptied.

Liz Leffman
👍

Tue 19 Mar 2013, 15:52

The officer from WODC has told me that the reason why there has been a problem with collections in recent weeks is that the person who is responsible for Charlbury has had some family problems, and has been away from work. He is now back so things should be back to normal. I have checked with him and yes, if the poo bins are full it is OK to put well wrapped poo into the normal bins.

Andrew Greenfield
👍

Sat 16 Mar 2013, 16:15

Am I correct in thinking that any filled bags can be placed in normal rubbish bins if the poo-bins are totally filled to overflowing? I believe I have read that somewhere in the past, though it may not have been from any WODC publication but in general reading. Perhaps you can ask, Liz, when you meet with the WODC on Monday.

Liz Leffman
👍

Sat 16 Mar 2013, 13:56

The WODC officer responsible for rubbish collection (including the clearing of the dog bins) is coming to Charlbury on Monday so that we can review this together

Julie Negus
👍

Fri 15 Mar 2013, 18:05

Thank you will let mum know you're on the case :-)

Liz Leffman
👍

Fri 15 Mar 2013, 09:02

I'm so sorry that this hasn't been sorted. I have been in touch with WODC several times and even brought it up at the last full council meeting. It really isn't good enough. I'll get in touch yet again with the officers

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Thu 14 Mar 2013, 23:03

I have asked Liz Leffman to look into this for us. She sorted it last time. But agree they need to be emptied on a regular basis.

Julie Negus
👍

Thu 14 Mar 2013, 22:13

I write on behalf on my mother, who has this week telephoned WODC about the yet again over flowing Poo Bins.
Is there some one out there who can find out why these are not being emptied regularly enough.

If you want the public to pick up their dog mess, make sure there is some where for them to put it }:-/

Emily Algar
👍

Thu 21 Feb 2013, 14:54

Also, with regards to the bins, the one near the Bowls Club, the one by the stream at the bottom of Dancers Hill are completely overflowing. The one at the bottom of Dancers Hill is so overflowing that the poo bags are all over the grass and path. Not much of an incentive if the Council can't be bothered to empty them.

Emily Algar
👍

Thu 14 Feb 2013, 08:58

I think some people do forget to bring a bag and others (as I've seen in the past week) just carry on walking when their dog stops or just don't actually care. The snow has made it worse, as people have just left the dog poo hoping the snow will cover it up and no one will notice. What these people don't seem think of is that they're ruining the local environment for themselves, and of course others.

In terms of a solution, what about looking at what other Councils in the UK are doing or even in other countries to tackle the problem?

Valou Pakenham-Walsh
👍

Thu 14 Feb 2013, 08:08

This is not about naming and shaming, it is about making sure that any dog mess is picked up, so that it does not end up spread under our shoes or on footballers kits, or caught in the wheels of pushchairs. If you do see a dog walker who does not pick up the mess, just have a word with them. That person may simply have run out of poo bags, and be intent on coming back to clear up later.

Malcolm Biranek
👍

Wed 13 Feb 2013, 19:35

Most people have camera phones these days how about collecting evidence this way, at least it might just embarrass the culprits :)

Valou Pakenham-Walsh
👍

Wed 13 Feb 2013, 15:05

The reporting concerns dog mess, indeed. The purpose is to gather information which wardens can then use to focus their resources on specific areas/times.

Helen Chapman
👍

Wed 13 Feb 2013, 14:25

Thanks Valou. Re that reporting link, I assume you're supposed to report when you see a dog mess, rather than if you actually catch someone in the act of not clearing up - but if so, how does that help woth knowing when it happened?

Valou Pakenham-Walsh
👍

Tue 12 Feb 2013, 15:14

Issuing fines may happen indeed, but only after enough intelligence has been gathered as to where and when it happens. Only then can a District warden intervene effectively by coming on site when it happens, and by catching someone 'red-handed'.

Malcolm Biranek
👍

Tue 12 Feb 2013, 13:21

How about issuing a few fines. I believe the maximum is £1000?
Its simply disgusting and irresponsible.

Elaine Newbold
👍

Tue 12 Feb 2013, 12:06

Charlbury Post Office now have in stock Bagees , which can be attached to your keys. If your dog fouls you have a readily available bag to hand, we also have bagees for shopping bags so you always have a spare carrier bag for the check out.

Every little bit helps

Valou Pakenham-Walsh
👍

Tue 12 Feb 2013, 09:52

Helen, you are absolutely right. Dog fouling is on the increase, and it is unacceptable. I have raised the issue in the past and in the next issue of the Chronicle, as well as on the News page today. A vast majority of dog walkers do pick up after their dog, so the challenge is to get the message to the few who do not. It would be extremely helpful to gather information about where and when it happens. Dogs and dog owners are creatures of habit, so the offending is likely to happen in the same spots at about the same time in the day. Only then can we engage the District Council wardens effectively by asking them to focus on one area at a specific time window. The District Council website has an online form dedicated to reporting dog fouling at https://www.westoxon.gov.uk/furtherinfo/onlineservices.cfm?frmServiceformID=279
I would encourage everyone to report any dog fouling they encounter in Charlbury on the District website. There may be very few offenders, but we are all part of the solution by speaking out and by acting constructively.

David Homewood
👍

Mon 11 Feb 2013, 21:43

How about microchipping the owners?

Helen Chapman
👍

Mon 11 Feb 2013, 18:34

I don't like to write complaining posts, and I know this has been written about before many times...

...but the amount of dog poo on Charlbury streets does seem to be a ridiculous level. Every day I'm having to dodge it along Sheep Street and Pools Lane - and with a three wheeler pushchair and a 4 year old that's not easy. Also my husband just relocated a huge one that was right where all our recycling bins get put - to avoid them all getting covered when the bin men empty them and throw them down in a hurry tomorrow.

Is there anything the town council could do to enforce the clearing up rule more firmly?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.