STOP THE BOAT

Reg James
👍

Sat 6 May 2006, 16:09

Apparently there are several such application in Oxfordshire to upgrade green lanes - many as with the Saltway, submitted by the Trailriders Fellowship. I also understand that there is some new legislation which is confusing things. Could be a SLOW BOAT!
The Public Rights of Way Officer told me that that the timescale for this will be long - years - (as with the council's application to re-route the footpath over the Spendove Centre site?)but there will be formal consultation with obvious groups like Ramblers Association, CPRE etc. but anyone who expresses an interest will be notified of any development.

Stephen Andrews
👍

Fri 5 May 2006, 16:21

Spotted a trail bike crossing the main road to ride on this section Saltway yesterday afternoon. I assume we would get more of this plus 4x4's

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Thu 4 May 2006, 10:05

Interesting letter (in the Oxford Mail) about the Saltway here. It expressly blames access from vehicles for the state of the path at the moment.

Chris Tatton
👍

Sat 29 Apr 2006, 19:55

Thanks for letting us know about this Reg. We walk the Saltway most Sundays. Is there a date by which representations need submitting?

Reg James
👍

Thu 13 Apr 2006, 08:46

I understand that a person from the Thame area has made a formal application to Oxfordshire County Council to change the status of the Saltway between Stonesfield and Chipping Norton from a RUPP (Road Used as a Public Path) to a BOAT (Byway Open to All Traffic). I also understand that the purpose of this is to allow unfettered access for the off-road vehicle fraternity who are finding it difficult to use the Ridgeway and need somewhere else to play.

The Saltway is of course an ancient route once used for transporting salt from Droitwich and is now used by ramblers and occasional horses - part of the network of green lanes which make this such an attractive place to live.

This is not a joke, but a serious application under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981. Take it seriously! Anyone who would like further information or who would like to make representations should get in touch with the Public Rights of Way Office at Oxfordshire County Council., Central Library, Westgate, Oxford OX1 1DJ

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2023. Contributions are the opinion of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.