Helen Chapman
👍

Thu 13 Dec 2012, 13:44

Some nice videos on what happens to your recycling here:

www.recyclenow.com/how_is_it_recycled/index.html

There's no excuse not to recycle.

Liz Leffman
👍

Thu 13 Dec 2012, 10:17 (last edited on Thu 13 Dec 2012, 10:28)

I can absolutely assure everyone that the materials that you put into your recycling boxes are recycled and do not got to landfill. The usual process is that the boxes are sorted at the kerbside but sometimes that is not possible so it is all tipped into one truck. This is sorted by hand at the depot. There is a big machine in South Oxfordshire now called a MURF. This is the latest technology and sorts everything using electronic eyes. We don't use that here in West Oxfordshire though it is used by the Vale and South Oxfordshire councils. However that is the future as kerbside sorting is in fact less efficient. It is possible that we will eventually move over to that system. Everything would then be tipped into the one truck and sorted by machine. So don't be surprised if you see that happening in future - it will not mean it is going to landfill but is being managed even more efficiently! For the time being we will continue to have kerbside sorting, so please continue to sort your rubbish.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Wed 12 Dec 2012, 10:42

So please do recycle, Mandy.

Ian Taylor
👍

Wed 12 Dec 2012, 09:45

I'm fairly sure it's down to the processing facility the recycling is due to be processed at. I don't think you can know in advance where your stuff is going.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Materials_recovery_facility

I recycle a box full of plastic and a box full of paper (plus tins and glass) every week which would just be buried in the ground if I didn't put out my recycling.

Valou Pakenham-Walsh
👍

Wed 12 Dec 2012, 08:59

I believe that this has been the subject of previous threads. I seem to remember Glena Chadwick responding to the same query by saying that the company who collects the recycling, May Gurney, is sometimes short of sorting vehicles, and has to resort to other types of lorries, which do not allow kerbside sorting. However... the sorting is done later. The waste is recycled, and does not go to landfill.

mandy
👍

Tue 11 Dec 2012, 18:38

and thats why i dont recycle makes a change for it not to be all over charlbury.

John Lanyon
👍

Tue 11 Dec 2012, 12:33

The orange recycling men are just tipping the contents of the recycling boxes into a refuse bin and then this is tipped into a traditional refuse cart. No sorting is taking place. I'm struggling to believe today's recycling will get sorted somewhere else. Can anyone calm my sceptical mind? I was slightly heartened by the sight of one of the orangemen jumping into the dustbin to make more room for further stuff.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.