David Halliwell Has Passed Away

Igor Goldkind
👍

Thu 23 Mar 2006, 14:17

DAVID HALLIWELL IN MEMORIUM

All friends and foes of the late, great playwright David Halliwell are invited
to commemerate David's life and work on
Friday, March 31st from 4-6 pm at the Charlbury Corner House
in Charlbury, OX7 tel: 0845 1668 043 or www.charlbury.info for directions.

Followed by drunks afterwards at The Bull pub.

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Wed 22 Mar 2006, 14:05

Best to contact Jane Parsons direct on 810879 to make sure

Igor Goldkind
👍

Wed 22 Mar 2006, 13:43

SORRY-SORRY-SORRY!

You're quite right MARCH 31ST, a week from this Friday, subject to my confirming with the custodians of the Corner House (if any happens to be reading the forum, please reserve us an open time, preferably at the end of the day.

The film director Mike Leigh has been in touch about attending and I expect a Charlbury will be hosting quite a few luminaries from the theatre and film worlds on the day.

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Wed 22 Mar 2006, 13:34

Igor, do you mean March 31st ? There isnt a Friday 31st April!

Igor Goldkind
👍

Wed 22 Mar 2006, 12:00

Having spoken to David's surviving brother Roger,I can inform those who are interested that David's body will be cremated in Yorkshire, however Steve Hay and myself are organising a memorial for David upstairs at Corner House in Charlbury on Friday, April 31st for anyone who wishes to pay their respects.

More details to follow.

Nick Owen
👍

Tue 21 Mar 2006, 17:33

Terribly sad news. It appears that he died alone and was not found for some time. I will miss his conversation, lunches in all sorts of places, his ideas, our debates on group analysis and womb twins, themed in his last published play, his mentoring to my work as a playwright, and above all his friendship. He was the only one in Charlbury who helped me when I was in a depression. I had just invited him over when the news came. I just assumed he was away.
I regret not being a better friend.

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Tue 21 Mar 2006, 16:26

Igor this is very sad news. Back in the 80's I used to type up his manuscripts for him. Do you know when the funeral is/was?

Don Kelly
👍

Tue 21 Mar 2006, 16:25

This is really sad news, David was a real one off and I really enjoyed our chats over drinks in the Bull.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Tue 21 Mar 2006, 16:01

For those reading this forum who knew David or at least knew of him, this is devastating news. He was certainly the most extraordinary resident of Charlbury I have ever met. He was a living, breathing poet and dramatist of great, but largely unrecognized and unrewarded talent. Not only was he once great friends with the Nobel Prize laureate Harold Pinter, he worked with John Lennon and crossed whiskey-fuelled swords with Samuel Beckett,amongst many other luminaries of British drama.

Not many people got along with David but he was a real piece of history; someone who gave flesh and blood to the dry words 'cultural heritage'.

Although I often found myself at the most combative with David, I will sorely miss him as a fellow jazz buff, a drinking companion, a scholar, a sharp antagonist and a friend.

Cheers, David.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2023. Contributions are the opinion of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.