Save The Riverside Festival!

Ben E. Wriggle
👍

Fri 28 Apr 2006, 13:22

Yes, it's true. Riverside 2006 is cancelled.

For more information please check out the website at www.riversidefestival.charlbury.com

Deleted user
👍

Wed 26 Apr 2006, 13:32

Time for an update! The petition was presented to Charlbury Town Council at the Annual Parish Meeting last friday evening. The final figure was 888 signatures. A tremendous effort by everyone and it just goes to show how passionate people are about this festival. There followed a lively debate in which nothing was really resolved. There seems a lot of confusion about the license. The Council claim that as no one has applied for a license they infact have not rejected permission to use the Mill Field. While this may be true it is certain that the organisers have not felt confident enough of either the council or the police's support to apply this year. They still wish to hold the event there and are willing to introduce measures such as hiring a security firm and relocating the camping further away from the site and town.
What seems certain now, is that sadly this years festival will not take place (although there are plans for a Riverside Stage at the Cornbury Festival).
There is another town council meeting tonight and hopefully we can get a clearer view of how we can all move forward to keep the festival alive and secure a welcome return in 2007.
Let's Save the Festival!

Chris Tatton
👍

Fri 14 Apr 2006, 20:34

Well done Adrian on doing the petition. The people of Charlbury obviously support the festival.

Lets hope that the local politicians and police are willing to support our Riverside festival as well.

Ben E. Wriggle
👍

Thu 13 Apr 2006, 20:16

Adrian,

Well done for all your efforts with the petition.

Will you post the final total of signatures when the petition is closed please.

Deleted user
👍

Thu 13 Apr 2006, 19:58

Last rallying call for all festival lovers! We're hoping to present the petition to the council at the Annual Parishers Meeting next friday so it's still not too late to sign if you haven't already. The petition is still in all the pubs and some shops. Thanks to everyone for being so supportive.

Ben E. Wriggle
👍

Thu 30 Mar 2006, 20:21

There were other suspects, but one name already in the public domain is on the front page of this weeks Witney Gazette!!

Alex Flynn
👍

Thu 30 Mar 2006, 20:11

What a shame that a normally peaceful event is under threat because of a minortity of yobs.

As someone said earlier the yobs should be named and shamed! Or were they minors, and therefore cosetted by the law.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Wed 29 Mar 2006, 13:56

Had there been a police prescence at previous festivals? Especially at night (I can't remember which day the trouble was, was it at night or later on in the afternoon).

Deleted user
👍

Wed 29 Mar 2006, 09:31

There are now posters in the Rose and Crown. Next time you go in for one of tom's fantastic ales please take one to put in your window. The more publicity the better. So far well over 400 signatures and rising.
Save The Festival!

Katie Ewer
👍

Fri 24 Mar 2006, 13:46

Nice idea Malcolm, but one has to suspect motives here. The police did not attend last years festival and hence, there was trouble that generated sufficient grounds for the police to block the licence this year. Isn't this something of a self-fulfilling prophecy?

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Thu 23 Mar 2006, 23:24

Out of curiousity, was it known who caused the trouble (names etc.)? If so, how about civil injunctions? They don't require criminal proof, and if breached its contempt which can be made to hurt by the courts. Savour the irony for a free festival with all those values...

Just a thought, no idea how practical, but with ASBOs stalking the yobs of the land, perhaps it could float. ASBOS have apparently been useful in some areas - really. Those wouldn't be applicable in this instance, but how far could one push the civil law to prevent the antisocial?

Ben E. Wriggle
👍

Thu 23 Mar 2006, 19:34

Reducing the Festival to a one day no camping event wouldn't solve the problem. The campers would find un-official 'sites' to pitch their tents where ever they could, thereby creating an un-supervised situation. Surely even more un-acceptable!

And certainly the in-actions of the police didn't do anything to help the cause.

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Thu 23 Mar 2006, 16:10

I hope the "mindless minotity" that you refer to are those people last year who caused so much trouble at the festival. As you know, the licencing has changed this year, so no public entertainment licence. After the festival, feelings were running quite high on all sides, and the police emphatically said they would not support another festival in its present form. It has been suggested to the organisers that perhaps it should be a one day event this year, with no camping allowed. Far from trying to stop the festival, the Town Council are not against it, but have to take into account all the wishes of the town - and not just the verbal ones on this website. As for the District Council .... well you would know more about that Gareth. And as for the police - why do we pay them taxes ? It was their non presence last year, which helped fuel the disorder.

Gareth Epps
👍

Thu 23 Mar 2006, 14:04

If true that the Town Council is withdrawing its support from the event, that would be a huge shame.

I'm not aware of a licence application going to the District, but I'm sure that would be the way that all issues etc can be aired positively and constructively. The Festival is a fine Charlbury institution that cannot be destroyed by a mindless minority. It's faced 'threats' before and seen them off. Let's hope it can do so again.

Chris Tatton
👍

Wed 22 Mar 2006, 20:41

The rumour on the street is that the Town Council, the District Council and the local police are trying to stop the Riverside Festival taking place this year! Why?

Nick Owen
👍

Tue 21 Mar 2006, 17:36

Would someone explain why the festival is being blocked?

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Mon 20 Mar 2006, 22:10

And mine, of course.

If you do want to host an online petition, I'd be very happy to do so on the site. But actually, the easiest way is to use www.petitiononline.com , and link to it from anywhere and everywhere. You can have your own URL, such as www.petitiononline.com/riverside .

John Munro
👍

Mon 20 Mar 2006, 21:49

As new residents in Charlbury, we were looking forward to events like the Riverside Festival, so you have our support.
John & Lesley Munro

Ben E. Wriggle
👍

Mon 20 Mar 2006, 14:24

Have you read the new Visitors Guide published just last month??

The guide is supported by both Charlbury Town Council & West Oxfordshire District Council.

The following extract is taken from the guide:

"Today, the community organise many events open
to all. These include a two-day music festival by the Evenlode
River, a popular Beer Festival and an Annual Street Fair."

You can read the guide here: http://www.charlbury.info/downloads/charlbury_visitors_guide.pdf

Also, in an earlier posting, Chris suggested setting up an online petition on the Charlbury website. Rather than dilute the responses, why don't you get EVERYONE you know to post their support HERE on this thread.

The forum is read by enough 'relevant' people for them to see & gauge public opinion & support.

Spread the word and show your support.

www.riversidefestival.charlbury.com

Deleted user
👍

Mon 20 Mar 2006, 13:42

Thanks for suggestions and support. I will release more petitions into the orbit of our fair town asap. Reaction so far has been very positive.

Chris Tatton
👍

Sat 18 Mar 2006, 20:35

Well done to Adrian for organising the petition. Hopefully it will be signed by everyone who enjoys a great weekend of music down by the river every June.

If the festival is not held this year, it will be a victory to the few who tried to start some minor trouble last year and the majority of peaceful festival followers will be the losers. Hopefully the local politicians do not want the majority to lose out.

It is also a shame that the police did not put in an occasional appearance at last years festival. I see that Thames Valley Police took a pretty large component of my Council tax bill recently.

Christine's idea of putting the petition in the local shops sounds good. Could the petition also be put on the Charlbury web site in some form as well?

Lets Save the Festival!!

Christine Battersby
👍

Sat 18 Mar 2006, 13:21

Can I suggest that a copy of the petition is also put in the local shops & railway station. I think there is a lot of support, but not everyone will find the petition in time if it's only in the pubs.

Deleted user
👍

Mon 13 Mar 2006, 13:21

It's never too late!
There still seems be hope after talking to a member of the council on Saturday, and the support of the public can definately help. I understand there is a council meeting soon and the possibility of rekindling discussions with the police is still open. All we are asking is for the people who love and want to keep the festival to show their support.

Susan Way
👍

Mon 13 Mar 2006, 13:15

Is Cornbury festival definitely happening this year then? I've heard conflicting rumours but it seems to be leaving it quite late to announce the acts.

Katie Ewer
👍

Mon 13 Mar 2006, 12:52

I think you've missed the boat on this one. I thought this was all done and dusted when the policae said no last December. There is going to be a 'Riverside stage' at the Cornbury event this year though to try and keep the impetus going.
What a pity we are all missing out because of the actions of outside trouble makers. Hopefully it will return in 2007.

Deleted user
👍

Mon 13 Mar 2006, 12:41

As some may know, this years Riverside Festival is in major doubt . Permission is yet to be granted from the Town Council. There seems to be confusion over this but the trouble that happened last year seems to be the catalyst.
The Festival is an important date in the calendar for the community and has been so for the last fifteen years. We can't let this fabulous weekend of live outdoor music simply disappear due to the actions of a tiny mindless minority.
A group of 'festival fans' have started a campaign to "Save our Festival" , asking for the council to work with the organisers to find a solution. Please sign the petition - you will find them in the local pubs. If you would like to be sent a petition yourself to rally support then please email me at adrianlancini@hotmail.com
Lets Save the Festival!

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.