Oxfordshire Play Rangers

Nicola Leyland
👍

Mon 27 Aug 2012, 19:11

If the area is to be fenced off, would it be possible to keep fences low and unobtrusive, the atmosphere generated by such an open park is really positive. Would it be remotely possible to arrange a plan viewing day? I was at Shipton park before they updated it and for a couple of days all visitors voted for their favourite selection of equipment, the result is an amazing park which everyone feels delighted with.

Valou Pakenham-Walsh
👍

Sat 25 Aug 2012, 08:10

Please send all queries about the Nine Acres Recreation Ground to the management committee's secretary, Gillian Williams, at sillygillyw@yahoo.co.uk

Deleted user
👍

Fri 24 Aug 2012, 20:09

I would love to see the plans, are there any plans to share them or a way we can view them?

Helen Holwill
👍

Thu 23 Aug 2012, 16:23

I agree that the open plan element is great as it is. Many children love the 'dens' that the current bushes alongside the play equipment provide, as well as the grass slopes as already mentioned. While I can see that a fence could be a good thing in some places, I'm not sure it would be the right thing for the Charlbury play area. I agree that dog fouling hasn't been a problem, but broken glass and general rubbish has.

Helen Chapman
👍

Thu 23 Aug 2012, 14:45

Also just to add to my last post it's supposed to be really good for children to exercise their freedom and independence in an outdoor setting. So for example being able to run a reasonable distance away (while a parent can still see them) is great for their confidence. I love the way the nine acres ground gives this possibility at the moment.

Helen Chapman
👍

Thu 23 Aug 2012, 14:36

Charlie it sounds like you'd be a great person to get involved especially as a parent. The enjoyment of the slope and the running space on the football pitch is one of the reasons I'd personally be loath to see a fence go up - it would add a barrier to that extra dimension of play that the space currently gives.

charlie clews
👍

Thu 23 Aug 2012, 10:55

I've emailed Valou directly, as I'd happily give some time to this if of use (as a Charlbury based chartered landscape architect). Some of the best play area use natural resources to create forms and spaces that allow children to play inventively as well as using equipment. My 2yr olds favourite piece of equipment is currently the grass banking down to the pitches for example. Fencing is always a hot topic, and if it is required, there are ways to minimise its visual impact. Its such a fantastic spot with such great views it would be shame not to play up the aspect of the space. It would also be great to include some planting if possible, to add another sensory dimension. Anyway there sounds like there's a committee set up who will look into this in great detail, which is always the best way to approach these things. Anyway I'd be really keen to get involved if I can.

Valou Pakenham-Walsh
👍

Thu 23 Aug 2012, 07:53

Having only just joined the management committee, I do not have much details to give on this forum. However, I know that this new equipment will come at a cost (around £40,000), and that the members of the committee have selected the new equipment and supplier after a lenghty process which involves consulting the users on what they want, taking into account all the previous requests/complaints, visiting other play areas, etc. I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the members of this committee, and especially its chairman, Robert Caston, for their fantastic hard work and dedication. These are people who run the whole Nine Acres area, with the responsabilities it entails, on a completely volunteer basis. Generosity at its best.

Deleted user
👍

Thu 23 Aug 2012, 01:08

Shipton-under-wychwood have an incredible playground and I hope something as imaginative is planned (it did take 16years to get funds and cost 100K, but a large amount did come from grants).

They used Middle Barton's Trevor Stewart Play Equipment to carry out the work. Does anyone know who the equipment supplier is and what equipment is staying or going?

I noticed the big slide was removed for the new football/tennis club which was a real shame so fingers crossed we don't loose more equipment and just gain fence..

Katie Ewer
👍

Wed 22 Aug 2012, 20:56

The broken glass in the play area is a more frequent hazard than dog mess.

Andrew Chapman
👍

Wed 22 Aug 2012, 20:36

Yes, good news - thanks, Valou. One question, though: do they really have to be fenced in? We use the play area probably five times a week with our small children, and I've only ever seen dog mess anywhere near there a couple of times in the last two years. One of the charms of the site is the openness to the rest of the recreation ground (and the views, of course). Do the committee members wanting the fencing actually have children who use the play area, or is this just something they imagine is 'the right thing to do'?

Susie Burnett
👍

Wed 22 Aug 2012, 20:30

Thanks; that's fantastic news!

Valou Pakenham-Walsh
👍

Wed 22 Aug 2012, 15:58

There are indeed plans to replace the play equipment on the Nine Acres Recreation Ground. The management committee has already identified the needs and an equipment supplier, and is currently applying for grants. The new play area will be fenced up to prevent problems of dog fouling. There is no installation date yet, as it will depend on how successfull the grant applications are.

Susie Burnett
👍

Tue 21 Aug 2012, 13:45

Charlbury recreation ground could do with some investment, generally. The main slide, climbing frame and large central wooden, bridged, climbing frame have all been lost over the last couple of years without replacement. The wooden steps to the zip wire are often missing nails, etc., and other equipment is looking worse for wear. Does anyone know if there are any plans to invest in the playground in the future? I filled in a questionnaire on this some time ago, but nothing has happened since. Charlbury is a growing town, yet other villages such as Finstock and Chadlington have better play facilities. Whilst I fully support the Play Rangers, it would be good to see our facilities improved on first if there is money to spare.

Helen Chapman
👍

Tue 21 Aug 2012, 13:40

Thanks Helen and Jon for constructive comments. Lets keep griping about Wilderness off this thread please.

Very interesting re the drums Jon - re the beer festival I think they had already tried that route.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Tue 21 Aug 2012, 12:10 (last edited on Tue 21 Aug 2012, 14:30)

Don't I remember a thread here where it was said that thousands of pounds worth of drums are stored at the Shed, having been bought with a grant, and that another (£70k?) grant was used to buy more drums that were subsequently taken north?

Perhaps all this could usefully be traced and sold and the money used to fund the Play Rangers.

Several names were mentioned of people who still live locally, so some people may know about all this.

Helen Holwill
👍

Tue 21 Aug 2012, 10:22

I understand that the Charlbury Beer Festival organisation offer grants to local projects.

Paul Taylor
👍

Tue 21 Aug 2012, 01:27

As an apology from the Wildernes Festival group for all the upset they have caused £7000 would be great come on Cornbury/Wildernes Festival

Helen Chapman
👍

Mon 20 Aug 2012, 19:39

Myself and other parents who have enjoyed the visits of the Oxfordshire Play Rangers every Monday afternoon to the recreation ground are very sad to hear that they won't be coming any longer due to lack of funding. For those who don't know, they bring a van load of fun outdoor activities for children come rain or shine, from slippery tarpaulins to slide on in hot weather, to ropes and nets, to carpentry equipment for older children. They've been wonderful in helping my son to gain confidence in trying new things and playing with other children - children of all ages come along, and they all end up playing together.

We are wondering if there would be any funds available from the town council or others to help keep them going - if I have understood the figures correctly they need around £7,000 to fund them to visit Charlbury for a year. Does anyone have any suggestions? It would be fantastic if we could find a way to keep them going.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.