TV signal

Frank Payne
👍

Mon 6 Aug 2012, 10:49

The best position by far for the amplifier is to connect it directly to the aerial on your roof. It is then powered from the mains through a transformer in the house using the same coaxial cable from the aerial. Connecting the amplifier directly to the TV will give little or no improvement with digital signals. The reason is that by the time the signal passes down the cable from the aerial it will have become attenuated, whereas the noise level remains constant, so that the amplifier cannot improve the ratio of signal to noise. By connecting directly to the roof top aerial you significantly improve the signal to noise ratio. You need to get a good aerial installation company to do this for you. Using an indoor aerial with digital is rarely a good alternative.

Andrew Greenfield
👍

Fri 3 Aug 2012, 20:57

If your digital signal starts as poor, and you amplify it with a booster, I think you will still end up with the same problem as you will now have a stronger, poor signal. As I understand it, that is one of the problems of digital TV compared with analogue TV.

Try it, by all means, but I think it sounds as if you may need a new aerial

Lesley Algar
👍

Fri 27 Jul 2012, 12:33

Can anyone tell me if changing the booster near your TV set would make any difference to the picture breaking up intermittently. Or would it be better to just change the aerial. If it is the signal from the aerial that is the problem, would I not need a booster.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.