Charlbury in 1986

Dave Gamble
👍

Wed 25 Jul 2012, 12:24

Thankyou Alan and Andrew for the information but I still can't remember any businesses operating during my time in Charlbury. I was probably too busy cycling, fishing, playing football and cricket plus getting to know the local girls to notice!

Alan Hanks
👍

Tue 24 Jul 2012, 09:14

My Grandfathers glove factory in Pooles Lane (Hone Court) which had previously been in Fishers Lane next to the Methodist Chapel, closed in 1969, it was one of five that I remember during my early years, and did not include the Fownes factory at the Youth Hostel which closed before the second world war it was where he was an apprentice from 1903 to 1908,Dent and Allcroft were at Fiveways (Hydac), another was in the Manor House, near the Church and one was in Market Street opposite the Friends Meeting House. In my youth Saturday mornings were spent with my uncle delivering gloves to out workers in the surrounding villages.

Andrew Chapman
👍

Tue 24 Jul 2012, 09:08

I wonder if '1986' is a mistake for '1968' - the Victoria County History says: "A small glove factory built in the 1930s near Baywell Gate was taken over in 1968 by a firm of electrical engineers... The last glove factory closed in 1968 and although a few small industrial firms survived most of the population was employed elsewhere."

Dave Gamble
👍

Mon 23 Jul 2012, 21:57

I have read the account about glove making in Charlbury. I lived at the youth hostel in the early 60s. It had been the glove factory and I always thought that after it closed, the glove making industry had ceased but this site says it ended in 1986. I don't remember anywhere in Charlbury making gloves in the two and a half years I lived there. Does anybody have any information?

LINDA HILSDON
👍

Fri 20 Jul 2012, 09:51

Fantastic website. Thank you Diana.

Diana Limburg
👍

Thu 19 Jul 2012, 15:01

Completely by accident I stumbled upon this BBC Doomsday project, which provides a snapshot of life in Charlbury in 1986. I thought others might enjoy seeing it too. Key changes I picked up are the Spendlove Center and the Primary School.

www.bbc.co.uk/history/domesday/dblock/GB-432000-219000/page/1

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.