Gardening in Charlbury May - and the Plant sale

Kathy Broughton
👍

Tue 22 May 2012, 15:03

Jon, I have a mature buddleia that is starting its seasonal growth after its spring pruning, You are welcome to come take cuttings of some of the new shoots if you don;t get a better offer.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Mon 21 May 2012, 19:14

If anyone has a rampant buddleia they want rid of, I have a good home for it!

Geoff Holmberg
👍

Sun 13 May 2012, 19:01

Sorry Charlotte we had no herbs at all on Saturday. Not sure why, I think our main supplier must have had problems this year.

Charlotte Penn
👍

Fri 11 May 2012, 13:15

Dear Geoff, many thanks for keeping an eye out for some more thyme. I've just bought some thyme plants from Hilltops, but I always need more. I've just dug up a massive sage plant, of which I'm going to attempt to propagate some. Does anyone want some for these sage plants?

Geoff Holmberg
👍

Fri 11 May 2012, 09:50

I'll keep an eye open for thyme although I find my plants don't last last much longer than 2 or 3 years either. I think they like it rather warm and dry and that's not much of an option at the moment

Charlotte Penn
👍

Wed 9 May 2012, 15:28

Dear Geoff, I am unable to come to the plant sale, this Saturday, alas! Thus, was wondering if I could arrange purchasing, via this post. I'm especially interested in buying thyme plants. Thymes are my favourite herbs, and after years of loosing thyme to our unpredictable weather, I would like to buy some sturdier thyme plants. I'm also interested in fennel, bittersweet cress, and any other herb plants. Bye the by, I still can't find a source of Jamaican broad leaf thyme! Anyway, I could arrange payment directly. I've just dug up some of my long roots of mint, and would be very willing to give these to someone. I've really appreciated your posts, as they are most informative.

Geoff Holmberg
👍

Wed 9 May 2012, 14:43

Sorry you had a wasted journey Jodie we are still mystified on the Committee.
It has been a difficult growing season so far - and everyone's plants/seedlings both flowers and veggies are very late and very slow growing. There will be plenty of plants at the Plant sale but flowers won't yet be in bloom - plants are busy putting on green growth it seems.
So don't worry about being a little late - most vegetables seem to catch up as the weather warms up. Which surely it must do soon!

Jody O'Reilly
👍

Wed 9 May 2012, 12:21

Glad I didn't miss the sale - had highlighted it in the leaflet and was only a little confused to turn up to ladies badminton instead! Posters outside the memorial hall and elsewhere about are correct.
Also glad that I shouldn't be too far behind given that I only just got an allotment and thus far have only just managed to dig it over once and that in fairly claggy conditions. I shall catch up and have some growing things after all.

Geoff Holmberg
👍

Mon 7 May 2012, 12:29

So was there a frost in Charlbury on Saturday night? I didn't see one but covered the emerging potatoes just in case.
At least we can't complain about the drought but 2 rows of carrots, 2 rows of beetroot and 2 rows of parsnips sewn a few weeks ago just before the rain seem to have all disappeared without trace. Maybe they're hiding.
Don't forget the Garden Society Plant sale this Saturday at 9.30 - apologies for the Leaflet entry which mysteriously has it down as Tuesday. There will be the usual collection of annuals and perennials plus some vegetable plants and - we hope - a few more herbs. Plus probably some very good value hanging baskets.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.