It's election time next week - isn't it?

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Wed 2 May 2012, 12:52

I have (10 minutes ago) been forwarded a 13th address - thanks to Jon Carpenter for that! - and that's also now up on the same page.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Tue 1 May 2012, 12:50

Indeed, all the manifestos that have been supplied to the website (12 out of the 14 candidates) can be viewed on the special community page.

Reg James
👍

Tue 1 May 2012, 12:45

For anyone whose house I may have missed while deilvering my election address, it can be seen at www.rusfa.com/manifesto.pdf

Diana Limburg
👍

Tue 1 May 2012, 11:37

Thanks Amanda!

Amanda Epps
👍

Tue 1 May 2012, 11:31

You can vote for 12 candidates but you do not have to vote for this many. What you should not do is vote for more than 12.

Diana Limburg
👍

Tue 1 May 2012, 10:41

Pardon my ignorance, but I could with some clarification about the town council election this week. I understand there are 14 candidates for 12 seats, hence we get to vote, which is great. When voting, do I get to choose only one candidate? Or will I be asked to rank/tick 12? Or any other number? The WODC website, nor the polling cards shed any light on this.

Robin Taylor
👍

Thu 26 Apr 2012, 15:20

Oh good,it did all seem to be getting a bit last minute for the postal voters (like my daughter, who goes away this weekend and needs to get hers off) who so far have no information about 13 of the 14 candidates.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Thu 26 Apr 2012, 10:13

We'll be posting fliers on the website this Saturday from everyone who's supplied us with one. (If you're a candidate and you're reading this, then you should have received a mail from me asking for a PDF: if not, please get in touch.)

Most of the candidates I've spoken to are distributing paper fliers in the next couple of days, so you'll probably find the trickle turns into a flood before too long.

(And I should probably declare an interest here as a candidate myself, having just taken my leaflet to the print shop five minutes ago!)

Simon Walker
👍

Thu 26 Apr 2012, 10:02

The last time the Town Council was up for election, I seem to remember that there was some administrative error that meant that candidates' statements never got circulated as they were supposed to have been. Having not long arrived in Charlbury,we had no way of knowing what the individual candidates' platforms were, so didn't know who to vote for.

Fast-forward to 2012. The Town Council elections take place next week. Thus far, we have had a flyer through our letterbox from one of the 14(?) candidates. We know some of the people who are standing; others we don't. If the candidates don't tell us what they are standing for, how can we be expected to make a sensible choice between them? Or is it the case - as last time - that material has been produced but not distributed throughout the town?

Having the opportunity to make a selection between candidates for a limited number of seats on the Town Council is good for local democracy. Let's not get into the situation that the Town Council is elected by default because too few people offer to stand, as is often the case elsewhere. But, for democracy to work, we need to know what the candidates are standing for - let's hear about it!

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.