Charlbury Flooding before 2007?

Birgit den Outer
👍

Thu 26 Apr 2012, 11:16

On behalf of Nina, thank you all very much!

Kate Smith
👍

Fri 20 Apr 2012, 15:34

Hi Nina,
We live by the river am I was told by a local resident after the 2007 flood that the last time he knew that the river breached the downstream l/h bank was in 1947 with the snow melt - though it has often covered the flood plain on the r/h side certainly between 2002 and 2007, but not since. I also have a little background on the 2007 effect on the local river ecosystem if you plan to cover that - do get in touch if you need anything more.

John Dora
👍

Thu 19 Apr 2012, 23:05

Between 1992 and 2001 I was the Environment Agency's Flood Defence Engineer for the Upper Thames, and my 'patch' included the River Evenlode. It's interesting to note your question, Nina, on 'when was the last flooding'. The Evenlode's flood plain would ordinarily flood every year but this has been rare in recent years owing to a lack of 'normal' rainfall. If your question relates more to a severe flood event such as 2007 with much property damage then these events are very rare. The fact that the river bridge was badly damaged suggests that a flood of such magnitude had not been experienced in Charlbury since at least the 1850s, as the bridge apparently was widened at the coming of the railway.

I would point you to the flood of April 1998 (The Easter Flood) which was I believe the largest flood since 1947 in these parts. On Good Friday that year, the whole Evenlode flood plain became inundated to a significant depth but did not affect the houses near the river and the bridge, as I recall.

i would recommend seeking copies of Sir Michael Pitt's review of the 2007 floods www.environment-agency.gov.uk/research/library/publications/33889.aspx and Peter Bye's report into the Easter 1998 floods publications.environment-agency.gov.uk/PDF/GEHO0807BNAY-E-E.pdf. Both these reports led to changes in how floods are 'managed' and carry a wealth of detail. Do check out www.environment-agency.gov.uk for general information on flooding including flood maps.

BTW, I endorse William Crossley's recommendation to contact the EA at Wallingford.

Hope all this helps,

John

Alan Hanks
👍

Thu 19 Apr 2012, 22:52

Hi Nina,
From the 1940's through to the seventies the Evenlode flooded the fields adjacent to the Cricket Field and on the other side of the road, but never as high as the road. Then the river was dredged and the banks built up, which reduced the risk of flooding.

Birgit den Outer
👍

Thu 19 Apr 2012, 21:04

Thank you Russell and William! That is very helpful!
from Nina

William Crossley
👍

Wed 18 Apr 2012, 23:35

Further to Russell's note, also at Wallingford is the Centre for Ecology and Hydrology, which has certainly done work on historical flooding of the Thames basin. The 1947 snow melt, which coincided with a spell of heavy rain, produced dramatic effects in Oxford and further downstream at the likes of Reading and Maidenhead but I'm not sure of the impact along tributaries like the Evenlode.

russell robson
👍

Wed 18 Apr 2012, 22:22

Hi Nina,

You could contact the Environment Agency at their Wallingford Office and ask for the water level data for the river, as there is a gauging station at Shipton. You could also look on their website and go to "Whats in My Backyard".

2007 was a unique event in the fact that so much rain fell in such a concentrated volumn in the head of the Evenlode catchment. The Evenlode is a surface water fed watercourse, unlike the Windrush, which is predominately spring fed. This means it responds rapidly to rainfall.

The floodplain between the water treatment works and the Cornbury Park bridge flooded regularly between 2003 and 2007, but in recent years this has only happened about once a year, and not at all since 2010.

I hope that helps.

Birgit den Outer
👍

Wed 18 Apr 2012, 21:00

Thank You Katie,it is interesting that your mother-in-law can't remember any flooding from before 2007.
regards,
Nina

Katie Ewer
👍

Wed 18 Apr 2012, 20:06

Hi Nina
We got very badly flooded in Fawler in 2007 and ny mother-in-law who has lived here all her life and is now 71 says she can't remember it ever flooding before. I'm sure she could give some more background information if you like?

Birgit den Outer
👍

Wed 18 Apr 2012, 18:56

Hello, I'm doing a geography enquiry on the flooding in 2007. I was wondering when the last flooding was before 2007. Can anyone help me with this?
Many thanks,
Nina ( Birgit's daughter)

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.