Gardening in Charlbury April 2012

John Lanyon
👍

Wed 18 Apr 2012, 10:27

Melons - I think the black plastic is to warm the soil and keep down weeds. I have heard of melons grown in frames but not in the open ground. This is the ideal time to sow courgettes in pots. They're not frost-hardy so need to be protected from frost and hardened off before planting out. Give them plenty of space. I don't think the yellow ones have as much flavour as the green ones.

Kate Smith
👍

Wed 18 Apr 2012, 09:34

Can anyone advise on growing courgettes and melons? I've not previously grown veg, only flowers but this year have planted seeds of a UK garden melon which says it can be grown outside on black plastic - I'm not too sure what this means, but assume I cut up a bin bag and lay it over the soil and plant through a hole - is this to deter slugs? Also do you need to do the same with courgettes? and how early can they go outside? (They're in a just frost-free greenhouse at the moment) Grateful for any hints!

Geoff Holmberg
👍

Sun 15 Apr 2012, 16:44

At last a bit of rain but it's still cold.
Eaten the last of the Brussels sprouts (which have been cropping since November) and the last of the parsnips and leeks. Although the leeks looked more like spring onions this year.
I've sowed parsnips and beetroot but I may regret it - they do like the soil a bit warmer possibly.
Mice have eaten a third of the peas sown outside but there are still plenty left.
No sign of the potatoes yet but I live in hope.
Very successful Spring Show on Saturday - there still seemed to be plenty of daffodils around.
Looking forward to the Garden Society Plant sale on 12th May loads of high quality plants at really good prices but get there early - most of the plants go within the first half hour. Starts at 9.30 but the queue starts earlier than that.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.