Community Centre

Natasha Merriman
👍

Sat 25 Feb 2012, 08:24

I've also had this message from Edward Fenton- he has said he's fine with me posting it here.

Hi Natasha! The problem with the existing facilities is that they are almost constantly booked. Recently I was looking to put on an event in the spring, and when I went to look at the booking diary, I found only a couple of dates between the end of March and mid-May! Also anyone thinking of setting up a new group has nowhere to go. Charlbury Morris, for instance, say they have to book a year in advance. And when Russell Robson and I set up Charlbury's Own Cinema (ChOC), we had to show films in the back room of the Bell for the first few years before they was no space in Memorial Hall. We only managed to move eventually to Memorial Hall by persuading them to open on a Sunday! There were also lots of classes I used to attend on the old school site - now I have to go to Chippy for them. You mention improving facilities at Memorial Hall, but there is no space to build an extra room there, for instance. The space exists in the Spendlove car park, part of which is a derelict eyesore! All the best, Ed

Natasha Merriman
👍

Fri 24 Feb 2012, 21:11

Thank you for answering Alan. I have no agenda of my own on this and was asking the question because I genuinely wanted to know the answer.

Alan Hanks
👍

Fri 24 Feb 2012, 20:01

I appreciate your comments, but from my own personal experience a new larger facility will be of benefit to Charlbury,
As was shown by the old Spendlove Centre Hall which from 1986 to 1992 was fullly booked at weekends and at times during the week and the Memorial Hall was also booked up. Some events need a space larger than anything available in Charlbury at the present time.

Natasha Merriman
👍

Fri 24 Feb 2012, 18:01

I realise that as I'm not a year-round resident of Charlbury I may be missing out on something, but we got a letter today about the change in leadership of the committee that are raising money for a new community centre and it set me wondering whether Charlbury really needs one. Wouldn't we be better using any monies to improve The Corner House and The Memorial Hall?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.