Cabinet approves Greystones proposal

Robert Bartlett
👍

Fri 4 May 2012, 11:02 (last edited on Fri 4 May 2012, 17:51)

Is there any truth in the rumour that Dean Pit is to be reopened and enlarged to receive increased tonnage and with new arrangements which include an offer of free transport assistance available for those who live over 100 miles away?

Amanda Epps
👍

Wed 2 May 2012, 19:39

It obviously mattered to Lord Chadlington who campaigned for the closure of Dean. Never mind us poor peasants who now have to trail to Stanton Harcourt while we wait for the Tories on WODC to pull their finger out and get Greystones off the ground. So much for "we're all in it together"!

Robert Bartlett
👍

Wed 2 May 2012, 13:53 (last edited on Wed 2 May 2012, 18:46)

It says in their most recent election leaflet that you should vote Conservative 'for a strong voice on the things that matter' but in the case of Dean Pit a lot of us are wondering..... Matter to who?

Ann Harper
👍

Tue 1 May 2012, 23:37

I see that the latest campaign letter from our Conservative propective candidate for West Oxfordshire District Council claims:
"Dean Pit: Conservatives on the District Council objected from the moment we heard of possible closure." Funny that, when it was a West Oxfordshire District Councillor who, at the planning meeting, enthusiastically voted for the Pit's early demise!

Amanda Epps
👍

Wed 18 Apr 2012, 15:38

Last night a Tory canvasser (I think it was Cllr Hywel Davies) parked his gas guzzling 4by4 outside my house but failed to canvass me so I couldn't tackle him about Dean. Maybe I shouldn't have put my Liz Leffman poster up so early!

Ann Harper
👍

Sun 8 Apr 2012, 23:22

It's that time of year when spring is springing, the birds are a-singing and the candidates for local elections are a-canvassing. Just a suggestion, but if your Conservative candidate calls perhaps you might care to ask him for THE definitive reason for Dean Pits's closure and why WODC paid Cath James (their former employee) £110,000? Do share any interesting replies on the forum.

Malcolm Biranek
👍

Fri 16 Mar 2012, 09:03

It wouldn't have anything to do with other prominent and notable nearby residents would it? May be close friends of Lord Chadlington?
It seems decisions were made for other reasons than those that have been stated(nebulous and self interest)and it seems to be a typical waste of public money for no good reason.

Ann Harper
👍

Thu 15 Mar 2012, 22:22

Robert Bartlett is right, we should not let the closure of Dean Pit slip off the agenda when we still haven't been given a definitive reason as to why. At a planning meeting of OCC Council, officials recommended keeping Dean Pit open for another 5 years. Lord Chadlington, who attended the meeting, complained that traffic to the Pit was too heavy for the narrow surrounding roads. So, the Councillors voted to close it down in 2 years. The leaflet sent out by OCC 2 years on stated that, with the new kerbside collections, Dean Pit was less used and therefore not needed - which presumably meant less traffic. After the predictable outcry, we were given the £1m upgrade porkie pie which Liz Leffman demolished through the Freedom of Information Act. Neil Owen (our County Councillor who voted for early closure of Dean Pit) in his Chronicle piece did graciously admit that those "complaining against the closure, I think, have been treated churlishly by the County Council" but goes on to state that "the closure of Dean Pit is a settled issue." But why is it? We still don't have the official reason. Although I'm extremely grateful to those who have campaigned for Greystones, in these austere times it does seem crazy that one recycling tip is closed down and another one is proposed 3 miles away.

Robert Bartlett
👍

Tue 6 Mar 2012, 21:25 (last edited on Fri 4 May 2012, 10:33)

DON'T DUMP DEAN ..... just yet
It has been 5 months since Dean closed and, after many questions and evasive answers from OCC and its councillors, we are still no nearer to receiving a clear and commonsense explanation of the reasons. Forgive me for my skepticism but, after the OCC…

Long post - click to read full text

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Wed 29 Feb 2012, 23:17

Where exactly is the Greystones site?

Robert Bartlett
👍

Sat 25 Feb 2012, 12:13 (last edited on Sun 4 Mar 2012, 13:42)

The following link leads to the minutes of the WODC meeting of 15th February where Greystones was discussed in Section 119 & 124.
www.westoxon.gov.uk/files/minutes/3055.pdf

Sue Normand
👍

Thu 16 Feb 2012, 16:23

Well done for backing this everyone who signed and highlighted some questionable admin/decision making. Much nearer home.

glena chadwick
👍

Wed 15 Feb 2012, 23:22

Thank you everyone who signed the petition and supported us in our efforts to get a recycling facility in our area. I spoke at the cabinet meeting this afternoon and said that although keeping Dean Pit open would have been best, we were passionate to retain a facility in the north west as the journey to alternatives was ridiculous---so far so good !

Kat Patrick
👍

Wed 15 Feb 2012, 23:02

Well done everyone for getting this to a stage that sounds positive!

Elaine Newbold
👍

Wed 15 Feb 2012, 22:17

This is very good news thanks for yours and everyone else's efforts .

Liz Leffman
👍

Wed 15 Feb 2012, 16:32 (last edited on Wed 15 Feb 2012, 16:37)

I was at the WODC cabinet meeting this afternoon, where I spoke about the inconvenience many people are suffering since Dean Pit was closed. I'm happy to be able to report that the Cabinet has approved a proposal to progress a new recycling centre at Greystones. This will now go to the full council meeting next week. Following that the next stage will be a planning application, and there will be a public consultation. The cabinet member responsible for environment has stated that the intention is to provide facilities similar to those at Dean Pit, with recycling of a wide range of items that are not catered for in other ways. So we may be spared too many long journeys in future. Very good news all round, and thanks to everyone who made this possible by signing our petition and writing to the council.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.