Best bargain in Charlbury

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Thu 19 Jan 2012, 10:49

The forum would be very boring if everyone had the same opinion. Fortunately I don't think that's likely to happen any time soon...

Derek Collett
👍

Wed 18 Jan 2012, 22:11

When I said that, in my opinion, the Co-op is the worst shop in Charlbury (which I stand by) it is worth pointing out that, by my reckoning, there are only in fact nine shops in the whole of the town (not counting hairdressers as shops). So the Co-op is also the ninth best shop in Charlbury! Hey, I'm a glass half-full guy after all! I don't think the Co-op is terrible, just mediocre. That is my opinion and I think I'm entitled to it.

Charlotte Penn
👍

Wed 18 Jan 2012, 20:59

The Co-op is a great shop and very useful. There are some good food brands and have good range of stock. I agree. They are also very friendly and helpful there, as Londis. Homemade food, is best.

David Green
👍

Wed 18 Jan 2012, 19:02

I agree that the CO-OP is excellent too and I use it all the time, but the sandwiches are better at the Good Food Shop.

Derek Collett
👍

Wed 18 Jan 2012, 18:00

Uh, yeah, but it's the slowest cash machine in the entire Northern Hemisphere!

John Munro
👍

Wed 18 Jan 2012, 13:36

Have to agree with Richard and Susie. I think to brand the Co-Op as the worst shop in Charlbury is a tad unfair, as it has many plus points - including a cash machine.

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Wed 18 Jan 2012, 13:06

I agree Richard. Actually we have found that the Coop is a great shop, always catering for Charlbury's special requirement. Everyone is polite and the food is very good value for money. And its great that it's open when I get home at 7pm.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Wed 18 Jan 2012, 10:20

Each to their own. Personally as someone who works outside Charlbury most days, I kind of like the fact that there's a shop open at times I can visit it!

Derek Collett
👍

Wed 18 Jan 2012, 09:38

GFS = best shop in Charlbury; Co-op = worst shop in Charlbury. End of debate!

Charlotte Penn
👍

Tue 17 Jan 2012, 22:30

Gosh, £1.50 for a coronation chicken is a good value indeed and knowing the Good Food shop, it will be quality. You're right David, you can't make a sw, yourself cheaper and I'm sure that it would be tasty. I'm certainly going to buy some sw now on from the Good Food Shop. I didn't realize how cheap they are. The Good Food shop are doing a great job and I hope that this posting will encourage more folks to buy more of their sws. I've always been an avid supporter of encouraging buying from local suppliers. As I've said before, Charlbury is full of talented and creative folks. Let's support our local folks and shops.

David G Green
👍

Tue 17 Jan 2012, 20:10

You don't need to be cash rich for a coronation chicken £1.50 roll from the good food shop made with fresh bread as I had today. I don't think I could buy all of the ingredients for that price and it certainly wouldnt be so tasty! #morepositivityincharlbury

Charlotte Penn
👍

Tue 17 Jan 2012, 10:10

Many folks are time poor and some are cash rich. I agree with Andrew it is important to support our local shops, in this financial crisis. Otherwise we will have no shops. We could do with more, like a decent butcher and green grocer. I could go on here, as before! However, yes it's quick to make a sw, and I can't understand too why few do these days.

Andrew Chapman
👍

Tue 17 Jan 2012, 09:44

I'm sure lots of us make our own sandwiches some of the time - but it's also good to support a wonderful local business.

brian
👍

Tue 17 Jan 2012, 09:09

Doesn't anybody make their OWN sandwiches anymore? 10 minutes in the morning before you set off is all it takes !!

Charlotte Penn
👍

Tue 17 Jan 2012, 08:28

£3 is an amazing price. Co-op's sw have a p+3 days shelf life. I know most of the ingredients and where they some from, as I was a development chef. I used to work for SW companies trying to improve their sws. V frustrating working with those factories. And have audited over 10 sw top companies around Europe. I will never buy a sw from a supermarket or garage, etc I will only buy freshly made sw and when I know that the ingredients will be fresh and top quality. Good Food Shop does have good quality fresh food. It's a shame I can't afford to buy more from them.

David Green
👍

Tue 17 Jan 2012, 08:13

I have to say I had the best-ever sandwich from the Good Food Shop again yesterday. £3! Made to order and delicious! Beats anything from the CO-OP! Sorry CO-OP but true. If you haven't grabbed a bite from The Good Food Shop in a while, try now! *****

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2023. Contributions are the opinion of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.