Do you commute to London?

dave wells
👍

Tue 17 Jan 2012, 21:14

Kate
Seat availability - no problem there or back (once you learn the platforms from 1720, 1750, 1820 from Paddington)
Tube to Victoria - I did Wilton Road for 2 years and Bakerloo/Victoria trip is easy and 20m max
Overall the commute is OK - 3 things to add
Actively manage leaving the office - ideally at 1630 or so for the 1720 train (it will make a massive difference if you can get this train even if you have to work while travelling)
Go with the flow when things go wrong - it does happen and there's nothing you can do !
Remember where you live rather than where you work - beautiful Charlbury overcomes many minor irritations about the journey to get here !

Carl Perkins
👍

Mon 16 Jan 2012, 11:50

No Problem Kate. I forgot to say, you can 'block book' a seat when you renew your season ticket if preferable. That way you'll always be guaranteed a seat in the evening!

Kate Hall
👍

Mon 16 Jan 2012, 10:42

Hi Carl,
That is so helpful, thank you. I think it's worth a shot.
Kate

Carl Perkins
👍

Mon 16 Jan 2012, 10:04

Kate,

Depending on what time you travel, you are guaranteed a seat at Charlbury early in the morning. I get the 06:28 and the train doesn't really get busy until Oxford.

The trains are generally on time first thing but it is also worth getting an email/ alert application added to your phone. Cost is £600ish per month but is cheaper if you don't include underground.
Paddington - Victoria is a nice easy stint on the tube via the Circle line or a quicker way is Bakerloo line to Oxford Circus then step across platform on to Victoria line although this can get busy!
The evening trains are generally good and you will get a seat as long as you don't leave it until the last minute!
I've been commuting for 16 months now and it does take a bit of getting in to but generally it's all ok.
Hope this helps!

Kate Hall
👍

Sun 15 Jan 2012, 23:02

...if so how do you find it? I am at the first stages of thinking about doing it, and just want some honest opinions. Are the trains on time? is it easy to get a seat? is it really that expensive? I currently live in Charlbury and work in Witney so it would be a big change. The job I am looking at is in Victoria. Any views would be really appreciated.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.