Seven Wonders of the Cotswolds

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Thu 5 Jan 2012, 15:48

I'd choose places other people rarely find, but that would rather spoil it for me once the BBC listed them! So, but grudgingly, I'd go for the Lady Well at Bridewell (near Wilcote) where young women have pushed favours between the stones of the well wall within living memory; the long barrow in Wychwood, a few yards of (I hope) forgivable trespass on the Palm Sunday walk from Leafield; and the walk from Charlbury to the total peace of Shorthampton church when the skylarks are up.

Carl Perkins
👍

Wed 4 Jan 2012, 11:21

Cleeve Hill is a must:

Cleeve Hill is the highest point both in the Cotswolds hill range and in the county of Gloucestershire, at 1,083 feet (330 m). It commands a clear view to the west, over Cheltenham and the racecourse, over the River Severn and into Wales; and to the north over Winchcombe. It is a conspicuous outcrop on the edge of the limestone escarpment, (sometimes called the "Cotswold Edge"). It is crossed by the Cotswold Way footpath.

The summit, at 1,083 ft (330 m), is a nondescript point marked by a trig point on the relatively flat common south of the Hill. Because of this, it does not offer particularly wide-ranging views. To the North by north-west, another summit at 1,033 ft (315 m) high boasts a toposcope and a trig-point, offering far wider views. On an exceptionally clear day (for example a sunny day following a day of rain in spring or early summer), the view extends an impressive 90 miles (140 km) to Winsford Hill on Exmoor, Somerset.

Taking the road up from Aggs Hill you can expect to see three tall radio masts situated 430 yards from the highest point (1,083 ft) above sea level.

Andy Godfrey
👍

Wed 4 Jan 2012, 06:09

Knollbury's on our doorstep.

Kat Patrick
👍

Tue 3 Jan 2012, 23:16

When the wisteria is in bloom ...

graham W
👍

Tue 27 Dec 2011, 21:43

I don't think we need go to far to see such a beautifull sight -the view from the Bull down Church Street - absolutely fanastic.

Edward Fenton
👍

Tue 27 Dec 2011, 21:15

I see that the Cotswolds Conservation Board are looking for nominations for people's favourite natural, geological, historical and cultural attractions in the Cotswolds - see

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-16307344

I immediately found myself thinking of famous landmarks such as the Rollright Stones and Dover's Hill, but I wonder if we have some candidates closer to home? It would be interesting to hear your ideas - serious (preferably) or otherwise!

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.