Corner House Christmas tree lights

Carl Perkins
👍

Wed 7 Dec 2011, 13:16

I passed through the town in the very early hours of this morning when most of you were still in the land of nod and I have to say that ALL the trees I saw looked lovely. I can't understand why a Christmas tree can create criticism in the first place. I'm sure the local Children all approve of the lights!

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Wed 7 Dec 2011, 12:32

I'd have thought the absence of a Christmas tree in the museum garden was of more concern? Perhaps that's where they are planning the true Las Vegas effect?

Simon Walker
👍

Tue 6 Dec 2011, 21:37

Hang on, hang on, Russell! Us at The Charlbury Society haven't got around to thinking about NEXT season's programme yet ..... Anyway, Aesthetics sounds like it could get a bit subjective for a 40-minute talk, let alone a discussion.

But seriously, folks - Now that Russell has raised the subject, The Charlbury Society would indeed like to have suggestions for nest year's programme, preferably with names of potential speakers attached. And it would be really nice to be able to welcome some of the (careful here ...) less elderly members of the Charlbury community to the Society's meetings - after all, if younger people don't join in and help run it, the Society will basically wither away as time goes by.

russell robson
👍

Tue 6 Dec 2011, 19:00

I'd just like to thank everyone who has put up trees and lights, they all make the town a little more festive.

My daughter loves all the trees and the fine light display at Fiveways.

Perhaps the Charlbury Society could arrange a talk on Aesthetics where we could discuss the matter at great length!

Off to the Grease Pit for this one Richard!?

Dave Oates
👍

Tue 6 Dec 2011, 15:56

Never mind, the Eurozone crisis, recession, youth unemployment figures, Afghanistan etc - Let's focus on the really critical issues!!! I think we should find out who is responsible for this heinous act; tar and feather them, drag them by the heels down Sheep St and possibly rebuild a ducking stool to find out if they are actually a witch. (Alternatively, we could just enjoy the fact that the town looks beautifully festive)

John Munro
👍

Tue 6 Dec 2011, 10:31

Since when has a sense of tradition become snobbery?
We moved into Charlbury on 1st Dec 2005 and the very first thing that struck us was that all the trees had white lights.
We are most certainly not against coloured lights and love the fact that all the lights in Chippy are Red, Blue & Green, which gives them their own theme.
So I guess that if we just like the idea of them all being white - then we must be snobs - I don't think so!

Helen Holwill
👍

Tue 6 Dec 2011, 09:43

Surely there are more important things to worry about that the highly subjective appreciation of the colour of decorative lights?! Chill out, Charlbury!

Diana Limburg
👍

Tue 6 Dec 2011, 08:45

I love the Corner House tree - so do the children. And I though it was deliberately the only colourful one - as it's at the centre and gives a nice, very festive focus.

Carolyn Sloan
👍

Tue 6 Dec 2011, 07:35

I am speechless too!!
The white light brigade are also the snob brigade.
The Corner House Tree looks beautiful, the flashing coloured lights are far prettier.
William Spendlove might well be turning in his grave giggling his socks off at this pointless snobbery. I am sure he would also be pleased that this tree is bringing a smile to so many faces!
How long have you lived here Michael?

john h
👍

Mon 5 Dec 2011, 22:51 (last edited on Mon 5 Dec 2011, 22:56)

I am speechless!!!

Derek Collett
👍

Mon 5 Dec 2011, 22:04

Surely the District Council aren't responsible for illuminating the Corner House are they? Do you perhaps mean the Town Council?

Phil Morgan
👍

Mon 5 Dec 2011, 20:49

Ooh 'eck..... Somebody's getting their undergarments in a tangle!

Michael Flanagan
👍

Mon 5 Dec 2011, 19:34

Is it just me?

Every year, John The Books sends us all a polite note suggesting that, if we're displaying a Charlbury Xmas tree outside our houses, we use white lights. With a bit of Charlburyesque grumbling about "we'll decide the colours of our our tree, thank you. If we'd wanted Stalinesque conformity, we'd be living in Woodstock or Chippy. And we're not", white's what what most of us deck our tree in.

Unless, this year, they're the Corner House.

Which seems to think it's been metamorphed into a Las Vegas brothel. Or at least Caesar's Palace or one of those places that uses more lights, more flashily, than the entire population of Bangladesh.

Forget taste. Forget subtlety. It's just not Charlbury. It's as if someone's moved us into Essex. Or Jeremy Clarkson's taken over the Corner House.

If William Spendlove could see his old house now, he'd be turning in his grave. After lying about the case for closing our recycling centre, is this the first sign our appalling District Council is really trying to twin West Oxfordshire with Nevada?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.