Charlbury school

Geoff Holmberg
👍

Fri 2 Dec 2011, 10:59

The transcript is here for those who missed it.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15993558
Can't see anything about "understood why people were striking".

Katie Ewer
👍

Thu 1 Dec 2011, 20:05

Classic case of taking remarks out of context. He actually said that he understood why people were striking and then said 'Oh this is the BBC, so I have to be balanced' and then continued on to make the comments quoted in the press. If you go to You Tube and watch what he said in full, you'll see that there is no story here and although I dislike him intensely, on this occasion he is innocent!
As a parent of a child at Charlbury school, I don't necessarily agree or disagree with the unions, but I defend there right to strike as in this day and age of civil repression, withdrawal of labour seems to be the last line of defence!

Richard Cocks
👍

Thu 1 Dec 2011, 17:00

Yes, Andrew, someone can! There are union leaders appearing today on the news channels indicating that their lawyers are looking at which laws Clarkson may have broken so that a prosecution might be brought,and that next time their members protest they will do so in fear of Clarkson's implied "threat"! Clarkson's sense of humour may not be comfortable for everyone but there seems to be a general lack of any sense of humour these days and the BBC could not wait to apologise for any offence taken. It seems to me that if today's sense of humour had existed we would never have seen Blackadder One let alone the rest of the series - it is just the sort of remark that he thrived upon!

Andrew Greenfield
👍

Thu 1 Dec 2011, 11:41

Well said, Harriet.

I saw the programme as it was broadcast, and I have never seen a bigger "tongue-in-cheek" comment, even from Jeremy Clarkson, who is famed for similar controversial sayings.

His timing may be a bit warped, to say the least, on a day like yesterday, but can anyone really imagine that he meant, word for word, what he said.

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Thu 1 Dec 2011, 11:25

Generally he is an idiot, but in this case it seems he is being misquoted.

I didn't see the programme but I've since seen the headlines and I have also seen comments from people who saw the show. Apparently he was asked about the strike, said something along the lines that he sympathised with them, was told this wasn't controversial enough so he then made the comments that everyone is quoting, and from the context it was obviously done as a joke. But missing this fact out makes news sell doesn't it?

Charlotte Penn
👍

Thu 1 Dec 2011, 04:24

After having another sleepless night worrying about money, like most people, I'm extremely worried about my financial future, as I've no pension at all, being worse off in the private sector. Understanding Charlbury's school closed yesterday, I'm interested to hear the view of local folks?

I'm flabbergasted at the comments of one of our local wealthy celebs yesterday. (one of Dave's close rich mates). www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15977813

Can you believe he actually said, "I mean how they dare go on strike when they have these gilt-edged pensions that are going to be guaranteed, while the rest of us have to work for a living."

Still not sure I want to spare my hard earnt cash, to pay for a TV license. In fact, silly me I simply can't afford it, I'll be working around the clock anyway, just to pay most of my bills. No doubt I'll loose my house, so I will be forced to live in a caravan. I wonder if one of the 'Chipping Norton set' will let me camp in their fields?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.