Smart Meters

Ann Harper
👍

Mon 7 Nov 2011, 19:55

Right, Stephen, I mean electricity monitor which shows you how much electricity you are using at that moment. You can even see the difference it makes by turning off 1 light so we are both much more careful not to leave lights on in a room we are not using. Don't make it so dark, though, that you fall down the stairs!

Stephen Andrews
👍

Sat 5 Nov 2011, 17:50

Ann, I think you mean electricity monitors (see earlier thread). Depending on how they are configured they allow you to see if you are using more or less power compared to other set periods.

By 2020, it is intended that Smart Meters will replace the traditional gas and electricity meters. Although there is a debate about the cost and benefits, they will come with two-way communications that will enable meter readings to be taken at any time without the need for a visit from a meter reader. This should eliminate the need for estimated bills. The meter information will also be available to the customer (on-line, or via a monitor) will enable flexible tariffs to be used to encourage customers to potentially save energy, or automatically change the time that it used.

Ann Harper
👍

Fri 4 Nov 2011, 18:47

St. Mary's Church has bought a number of smart meters which monitor electricity use. They are available to borrow from Malcolm Harper 07778 450515.

Stephen Andrews
👍

Sat 29 Oct 2011, 10:25

The responsibility for the 'role out' of energy smart meters will rest with the (energy) supplier. They will decide who to use to deliver this and it maybe that they engage a range of companies to do this (but not sure why water companies would be on the list). Clearly the portal and communications that are required to send information to and from the (smart) house and to visualise data can be used for all sort of other purposes, and companies are alert to these additional possibilities.

Kat Patrick
👍

Sat 29 Oct 2011, 01:17

Thanks, Steven. It's true that I'm looking more into the smart meters that transmit to the utility companies than a monitor alone. I've read that gas and electricity are planned, but I also hear BT does them. Do water companies?

Stephen Andrews
👍

Fri 28 Oct 2011, 16:34

Kat, Do you mean smart meter or an energy monitor?

At Lower Watts House, we have been using a basic wireless 'Owl' monitor for several years, which displays electricity use, but smart meters (to also include gas) have yet to be widely installed, although there is a planned programme to do so by 2020. Coincidentally there was a major local trial of certain smart meter configurations see - www.challengenorthleigh.org

Kat Patrick
👍

Thu 27 Oct 2011, 23:08

Does anyone have, or know anyone who has, a Smart meter for utility monitoring, and if so, when it was installed?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.