Wood Burning Stove...

Stuart Moss
👍

Tue 25 Oct 2011, 08:51

Hi Katie and Helen;

Do you have a contact number for Mick so that I can get in touch with him?

Cheers.

Stuart.

Stuart Moss
👍

Tue 25 Oct 2011, 08:50

Hi Jean, I usually do, but I will not pay over the odds for things. From speaking to them in the past about this, they are way over the top. I asked them 2 years ago (ish) how much to install their smallest wood burner (and therefore cheapest), with a flue and they said that their prices started at £3000! If you can afford to spend that (on what is, let's face it, a posh fire) and be able to justify it, then all power to your elbow. I for one, can't and won't. I am all for supporting local shops and businesses, and I always do where possible but I will not be taken advantage of.

Sorry, for rant, not aimed at you! :-) But if businesses want to survive in this modern age, then they must compete on price. I dont mind paying extra for quality and service, but there is a limit to how much that is worth.

I am more than happy to give them a second chance (God knows I have been given enough in the past! ha!ha!) but they need to now be proactive and contact me-if they are interested in quoting. They have had e-mails and phone calls from me, all of which have gone unanswered. If they are interested, they can contact me via here.

Helen Wilkinson
👍

Mon 24 Oct 2011, 16:31

I would second Mick Merchant - skilled, efficient and fair price (a few years ago.

Ian Lewis
👍

Mon 24 Oct 2011, 11:11

Some example costs for a double insulated flue liner and quotes to fit similar here:

www.periodproperty.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12470

There are several quotes from different parts of the country in the link so read the whole thread.

Jean Adams
👍

Mon 24 Oct 2011, 10:47

The Heat Store in Charlbury has to be the obvious choice. Support your local shops or lose them.Why go further? I have a stylish two sided glass fronted log burner supplied by them, a very helpful Company

Stuart Moss
👍

Mon 24 Oct 2011, 08:51

Thanks all for your help. Wood wise, I have plenty of that already for my open fire-tonnes of it in fact! :-) Does anyone know a ball park figure? I have been told £2000- which is never going to happen esp when you can buy the burners for around £400-£600! There is no way in the world that it costs £1600-£1400 to place it in position, install a blanking panel for the chinmey and insert a flue!

Simon Walker
👍

Fri 21 Oct 2011, 21:23

A bit further afield, Chase Heating in Pershore served our needs adequately when it came to supplying the stove and other materials that we needed. They also have a much larger range of stoves (no pun intended) than some of the more local suppliers. Stuart - just one word of caution - with so many people now having wood-burners installed, you may have to organise timber some time in advance of when you think you will need to burn it so that it has enough time to dry out properly. Some of the timber that is available locally can have a very high moisture content when it is delivered, and it needs a good storage area to let it season.

Katie Ewer
👍

Fri 21 Oct 2011, 16:00

We used Mick Merchant, who did an excellent job.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Fri 21 Oct 2011, 14:41

I withdraw my suggestion of Fosse Fires after hearing the experience of a customer.

Hamish Nichol
👍

Fri 21 Oct 2011, 09:39

I've used the Fire Place at Bicester and found them to be excellent in their knowledge, response and prices. www.the-fire-place.co.uk/ 01869 322389

John Munro
👍

Thu 20 Oct 2011, 17:48

Have you tried phoning Heat Store just in case they have email problems?
01608 819 088

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Thu 20 Oct 2011, 15:59

Fosse Fires in Stow on the Wold have a very good reputation.

Stuart Moss
👍

Thu 20 Oct 2011, 15:56

Despite e-mails etc to quite a few companies (including our own one in town!)that say they sell and install multifuel (wood & coal) burners I have not had any response. Is there anyone out there in Charlbury's cyber space that can recommend either a registered installer (with me buying my own burner) or a registered installer who can supply and fit?

I want it to replace my existing open fire and the chimney will need a flue/lining putting in. I am looking at a quick turn around from quote to order to install-for the right price of course!

Thanks in advance if you can help!

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.