Gardening in Charlbury October 2011

Kate Smith
👍

Thu 27 Oct 2011, 15:27

I'm sure I have read that houseplants thrive on cold tea (without milk!) - does anyone know whether they can cope with/thrive on/shrivel up with cold coffee (without milk)? Somehow I often seem to have half a cup which it seems a shame to waste but don't want to kill them by experimenting...

Geoff Holmberg
👍

Mon 24 Oct 2011, 09:09

Thanks to everyone who turned up at the Playing Close Sunday morning to plant crocus corms. The idea was to fill in the gaps that had appeared over the years so we're keeping our fingers crossed that we've managed to do so.
But the ground is so, so dry....

Andrew Chapman
👍

Tue 11 Oct 2011, 06:50

Our tomatoes, out in the garden, are still going strong. Has been our best year for them - we think it's because we bought grafted seedlings with disease protection, if I remember correctly. That and a sunny position - previously we've been repeatedly hit by blight or blossom end rot. But I suspect we'd better pick 'em quick now.

Geoff Holmberg
👍

Mon 10 Oct 2011, 12:39

Just walked past my strawberry patch (which fruited in June/July)and noticed something red beneath the leaves. Just picked 14 beautiful ripe strawberries - and no net protection either.

Geoff Holmberg
👍

Fri 7 Oct 2011, 16:15

Autumn's arrived with a vengeance now and many of the crops in my garden have had it. Runner Beans no good apart from leaving some pods on the plants for next year's seeds. Tell the truth they've not been great this year - too dry I think.
Tomatoes in the greenhouse now nearly over - so sad.
But the squash are still going - no frosts yet. And the inevitable courgette that escapes attention and turns into a marrow. But wonderful, halved and scooped out and baked for an hour with a filling of bacon, onion, mushrooms, tinned tomatoes, herbs and topped with breadcrumbs and cheese.
Don't forget the Society's Coffee morning Saturday 15th October (not tomorrow) in the Corner House. Plants for refreshing the herbaceous borders and all sorts of other things for sale.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.