| Alison O |
👍
2
Thu 10 Sep, 10:01
Here is a hornet mimic hover fly I caught on my phone on the path from Wychwood Paddocks to Crawborough. About 2cm long. |
| Alison O |
👍
3
Thu 10 Sep, 09:50 I've seen several hornet mimic hoverflies in and around our garden in the last few weeks. Beautiful and impressive insects. I have seen zero actual hornets. |
| Christine Battersby |
👍
2
Wed 9 Sep, 19:24 I had a Hornet Mimic Hoverfly in my garden this afternoon -- looks like a hornet, but has only 2 wings. Before killing hornets (which are, by the way, not aggressive to humans, unless threatened!) make sure it's not one of these intriguing insects which used to be very rare, but are now spreading into the Oxfordshire area. There's a description and photo by BBOWT here. |
| Alan Wilson |
👍
3
Tue 8 Sep, 10:47 I'm told hornets are incredibly beneficial insects to have around, eating huge numbers of aphids, for example. That didn't stop me deciding enough was enough when we had them nesting in our roofspace one year.... |
| Julia Webb |
👍
1
Mon 7 Sep, 21:08 3 visited our house last night. 2 neighbours also had some. I turned the outside light on and the inside light off and they left after a while. Wonder if there is a nest nearby. |
| Simon Hogg |
👍
3
Mon 7 Sep, 20:38 Oh what an end for such a lovely insect, catch and release! |
| Harriet Baldwin |
👍
Mon 7 Sep, 19:50 Not yet this year, but plenty previous years. They're generally not as aggressive a wasps |
| Christopher Tatton |
👍
Mon 7 Sep, 19:42 I bet Tony hid in the fridge. ๐ |
| Nicola Morgan |
👍
2
Mon 7 Sep, 18:48 I think we had a hornet in our house last night (sucked it up in the hoover...) Pretty big, scary bug. Anyone seen any around? |
You must log in before you can post a reply.