Wilderness

Andy Godfrey
👍

Tue 16 Aug 2011, 22:26

Jean, I too had the Giraffe burger. I decided not to bury my head in the sand & try something different. Went for the neck fillet, quite a bit poking out of each end of the bun though, I think a finger roll would have been more suitable?

Jean Adams
👍

Tue 16 Aug 2011, 21:39

Giraffe/Ostrich. Possibly not a lot of difference in the taste, just needs longer slower cooking on extensive barbecues.

Jody O'Reilly
👍

Tue 16 Aug 2011, 19:32

We loved it all. The ostrich burgers were really delicious - as were CSA cakes, though we missed out on these on Sunday as the queue was never within the tent every time we passed!

Mercury Rev was really great to see, a real festival high - even from way at the back where me and several other Charlbury mums were dancing away with our little ones.

Fantastic costumes all over and next year will definitely book in to one of the banquets, very tempting!

Richard Cocks
👍

Tue 16 Aug 2011, 12:40

I have just read Jean's earlier posting and hasten to assure you all that it was an Ostrich burger she had for supper - not Giraffe! Perhaps she had a whiff of something on the wind which took her somewhere else in the wilderness!

Jean Adams
👍

Tue 16 Aug 2011, 10:47

Well, how lucky people were to be able to enjoy the music without travelling and paying the entrance fee. Sitting in your own garden with friends,listening to great bands must have been delightful.

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Tue 16 Aug 2011, 09:30 (last edited on Tue 16 Aug 2011, 09:36)

"Can next year's possibly match it? Or disprove the naysayers so convincingly? We couldn't even hear it just 400 yds from the park gates. "

I'm not complaining about this (I was particularly pleased to hear some of Toots' set seeing as I couldn't get there!), but in terms of the sound it was no different from the previous festival - I could hear it easily from Hughes Close. Plus the sound system on the campsite and the fireworks which went off at about 3:00 on Sunday morning.

Due to the wind direction it could be heard easily from Nine Acres Close over the entire weekend, and on Sunday when I was out with the dog, it was audible up at Ditchley.

I'm not moaning, just telling you that it's impossible to stop the sound of an event that size travelling :-) I'm sure it was probably audible on the Playing Close too :-)

russell robson
👍

Mon 15 Aug 2011, 22:56

What an event. It couldn't have been more "English" in the loveliest possible way.

When you see festival goers sharing a drink with security, performers wandering about drinking ginger beer and visiting debates and lots of people lying in the sun watching cricket and listening to the Guillmots(a band not the diving seabirds) it makes you realise what a great town this is to live in.

Not only that but the hard work of a dedicate few to provide tea, cakes and a light pork bab has, I believe, raise a considerable amount for the local educational establishments.

I appear to have missed a lot of what was going on, however I did see a local band play (amoungst others), I did see a badger dancing with a dragon, but it was late and I could be mistaken, I was in the forest when a naked conga flashed passed and I swam in the lake, and I vicariously enjoyed a banquet with 2 corpulant friends.

Lets hope it's back next year, not bigger but just as "lovely."

Michael Flanagan
👍

Mon 15 Aug 2011, 20:33

Without wishing to take anything away from the organisers, the Rotherwicks, the producers, the caterers, the writers of the most readable (if just the teensiest bit overpriced) programme ever, the visiting musicians and thinkers, or whoever designed the sound system to make the noise inaudible from the Playing Close, we've really got to salute the crowd.

Rarely has so much constructive eccentricity been concentrated in one place. From the fancy dress (where did all those hats come from?)to the constant good humour to the views in the forums (and I bet Wilderness is the only festival on the circuit where someone'll insist that should be 'fora'), the 8-10,000 people there represented England at its nuttiest. Which is a compliment.

Can next year's possibly match it? Or disprove the naysayers so convincingly? We couldn't even hear it just 400 yds from the park gates.

Derek Collett
👍

Mon 15 Aug 2011, 18:22

Mercury Rev were utterly brilliant and worth the admission price for Jonathan Donahue's on-stage antics alone! Amazing that a band of such stature can play in a town of only 3000 inhabitants.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Mon 15 Aug 2011, 17:59

Press coverage is amazing: The Guardian, The Telegraph, the Oxford Mail, and doubtless more to come.

Jackie Hague
👍

Mon 15 Aug 2011, 15:31 (last edited on Mon 15 Aug 2011, 15:31)

I was so disappointed to miss most of the weekend. However, when I finally managed to go on Sunday afternoon it was excellent. I looked on enviously at those swimming in the lake; the hot tubs seemed very inviting too. It really was wonderful to see people of all ages enjoying the different activities on offer; good music, interesting debate, truly a festival with something for everyone and with food to suit all tastes. Sadly, I missed out on tea and cakes from CSA, they were sold out! Roll on next year when hopefully I'll be able to attend for the whole weekend. Well done to everyone involved in the organisation of the event.

Dave Oates
👍

Mon 15 Aug 2011, 14:29

I can only agree with all the positive comments about Wilderness. I was lucky enough to play twice (once in a yurt which was a whole new experience) with 1000 Mile Highway and we all felt it was one of the most relaxed, beautiful festivals any of has been to. And for anyone who saw Mercury Rev yesterday, what a treat, even if you had never heard of them before Wilderness!

Jean Adams
👍

Mon 15 Aug 2011, 11:04

What a success! Regular festival-goers declared it the best ever. 8000 people enjoying themselves with no bad behaviour in contrast to other news in the UK of late. Security was tight and a renge of attractions to suit everybody from serious debates with eminent speakers including the Editor of the New Scientist, Theatre productions, a well-being Sanctuary with various treatments and classes, swimming, boating, midnight revelries and food galore. I had a delicious Giraffe Burger for Supper last night! There was Music for all tastes including Charlbury's own Thousand Mile Highway starting the proceedings to rapturous applause.
We look forward to next year and will book early for the Banquets which we failed to make. Thank you Lord and Lady Rotherwick for allowing so many people to enjoy your wonderful Estate.

Richard Cocks
👍

Mon 15 Aug 2011, 10:58

What a fantastic weekend! Please go to the Oxford Mail's news item - google wilderness and it is about the third item down - where you will find lots of great reactions including that of the organisers - well done everyone!

John Munro
👍

Mon 15 Aug 2011, 00:36

Well, Sunday's line-up certainly didn't disappoint. Yet another great day. What a great success.
If anyone was in doubt about what sort of event it was or how popular it was going to be, all I can say is you missed a really magical weekend - you will just have to wait another 12 months to see what you missed.

Jody O'Reilly
👍

Sun 14 Aug 2011, 07:55

Family O'Reilly had lots of fun too - raring to get out again today. Kids area was great though our little one is too small for the Boutique Babysitting - though he made friends will everyone he met! Loved the little tents with haybales and pianos for anyone to use. Glad the weather's looking a little more blue-skied for today.

John Munro
👍

Sun 14 Aug 2011, 01:50

Just got back myself after a great day at the festival. Can only echo the comments of Jean, Jon and David - fantastic event, so unlike anything else. Can't wait for Sunday's line-up

Jean Adams
👍

Sat 13 Aug 2011, 23:10

You still have time tomorrow to experience a truly wonderful FESTIVAL, quite like any other. After all the bad news recently to see everyone enjoying themselves, relaxing and having fun was so uplifting. Wonderful bands, some very local. The Charlbury Primary School Tea Tent with a permanent queue and the delicious Pre School Hog Roast. Swimmers braving the chill of the lake and some using the Spa and Hot Tubs, others taking a boat on the further lake, numerous Wellbeing Masseurs etc and clothes galore at affordable prices. Dress up or go casual, it really doesn't matter but whatever you do - DON'T MISS IT.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Sat 13 Aug 2011, 23:05

Seconded, David. Brilliantly organised, great atmosphere, lots of very varied and genuinely interesting things going on as well as great music, very well attended, and making very clever use of the park and the space available. It's really encouraging that Cornbury can be used to provide so much pleasure to so many people of all ages, including hundreds of local people, with so little disturbance to the town.

David Green
👍

Sat 13 Aug 2011, 18:09

We have been to the Wilderness today, a truly different experience, very well organised and so many wonderful things to see and do! This is unlike any other festival and we wish it much success in the years to come! If you can go!

Derek Collett
👍

Sat 13 Aug 2011, 12:50

Cheers Jon.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Sat 13 Aug 2011, 11:38

Straight up the main drive and follow signs. It's to your left, twixt house and lakes.

Derek Collett
👍

Sat 13 Aug 2011, 11:29

I'm going tomorrow afternoon on foot from Tanners Court. What is the best way to enter the festival site - straight up the main Cornbury drive? Where exactly is the festival taking place? No clues can be gleaned from the (inadequate) festival website.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Sat 13 Aug 2011, 02:18

My wife who was up there at the tea tent says it reminds her of nothing else but the early Green Gatherings of the late 1970's and early 1980's we used to frequent! Those who are ignorant of history are bound to repeat it eh.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Fri 12 Aug 2011, 17:55

I have checked the Wilderness website and it assumes everyone arrives by car or by train and shuttle bus (which costs £2 and there are only 4 in the whole day!). Crass.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Fri 12 Aug 2011, 17:51

Yes Jean, but hundreds of kids are trying to make their own way on foot. There are NO signs at all for pedestrians, so it's all guesswork for them. Even at the entrance to the park, there is no sign to indicate pedestrians should enter that way.

Jean Adams
👍

Fri 12 Aug 2011, 17:05

John, be prepared there is going to be a naked conga through the woods at night and swimming , hot tubs! Nothing like the oooooooooooold Cornbury!!

Jean Adams
👍

Fri 12 Aug 2011, 17:03

There are shuttle buses but not sure from where. Presumably the station.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Fri 12 Aug 2011, 16:57

Just turned some kids round: they were heading down Market Street and off towards the station with tents on their backs. Surely it is better signed that this? Can't believe they were going the right way...

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Fri 12 Aug 2011, 16:45

Jean -- if it's anything like the old Cornbury Festival, there will be lots of other food stalls there, but not banquets! Wish the Wilderness website was more informative as regards stallholders. (Someone has just told me it's all hippies and witches' covens!! Yippee -- can't wait to go, sad I can only get there Saturday!

Jean Adams
👍

Fri 12 Aug 2011, 16:04

Sad not to be able to get a reservation for the Friday(especially)or Saturday Banquets. I did not realise you had to book online, if anyone knows of a cancellation or how to sneak in, please let me know otherwise we shall have to go hungry. M 07810 551904.

Richard Cocks
👍

Fri 12 Aug 2011, 14:56

After recent tragedy in Norway not sure about the humour here. John, Russell et al Jean and I will be there from 6 ish - may see you at the cakes bar or the real bar - of course we will have to be home before dark!

Derek Collett
👍

Fri 12 Aug 2011, 10:37

Thames Valley Police are pretty stretched at the moment with the return of the football season and the need to redeploy resources to the worst of the riot-torn areas. They have therefore subcontracted the policing of the Wilderness Festival to a group of highly trained polar bears who will be patrolling the perimeter of the site all weekend. Suggest you take a good supply of glacier mints with which to pacify them!

Really looking forward to seeing Laura Marling, Daniel Johnston and Mercury Rev on Sunday; if the Rev encore with "In the Wilderness" then I for one will be very happy...

Robin Taylor
👍

Fri 12 Aug 2011, 09:33

I have been browsing the Wilderness website looking for information on timings, and stumbled across the instruction to lock up food so as not to attract bears. Is there something we haven't been told?

Elaine Newbold
👍

Fri 12 Aug 2011, 08:57

We still have discounted tickets for OX7 residents Weekend and Saturday and Sunday

Charlbury Post Office

Alex Westbury
👍

Thu 11 Aug 2011, 22:18

For anyone looking to find the Tea Tent, we are situated next to the 'Information & Welfare Tent' not far from the main stage! Hope to see some familiar faces!

John Munro
👍

Thu 11 Aug 2011, 20:53

Russell, not sure you should be asking that sort of question!
I was planning to go up around 8ish - is that too early or too late?
Can't find a decent timetable of events.....for any of the days"

russell robson
👍

Thu 11 Aug 2011, 20:42

We are! Are you going in the woods after dark, John?!

John Munro
👍

Thu 11 Aug 2011, 20:04

So who is going up there tomorrow (Friday)?

Jody O'Reilly
👍

Thu 11 Aug 2011, 10:01

Ooo, goody - glad to know when the local musicians are up - been a bit frustrated at the lack of timetables provided by the Wilderness website (though I do love the graphics). Also glad that CSA (and Finstock) will be there, must start donating cakes to their stall in the future as we'll definitely be heading that way to fill up on tea and cake - delicious. :~)

Elaine Newbold
👍

Wed 10 Aug 2011, 23:45

Resident discount tickets are still available at the Post Office , we have been promised a further supply of Sunday tickets tomorrow .

John Munro
👍

Wed 10 Aug 2011, 18:57

Count Lesley and me in!

Alex Westbury
👍

Wed 10 Aug 2011, 18:50

There will also be a Tea & Cake tent run jointly by Charlbury School Associaiton and Friends of Finstock School, so we would love to see you too!
Thanks

Dave Oates
👍

Wed 10 Aug 2011, 15:33

For those Charlbury folk who are going to Wilderness this weekend, 1000 Mile Highway, the only Charlbury-based band playing at the Festival, are playing at 12 on Saturday on the London Folk Guild Stage. It would be great to have lots of local support there so please come and see us! Other local representation comes from 2 exceptional Oxford bands, Samuel Zasada and Tamara and the Martyrs who are playing on the same day at 1 and 2 respectively on the Mobile Stage and we would recommend you go and see them
Thanks

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.