Radon Letters from the council

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Sun 24 Jul 2011, 23:18

Heat recovery ventilators are available if one does have to mitigate thus saving energy, obviously. Christine Elliott from CAWAG & SUSCHA has just had some installed so I suspect that she counts as the local expert now!

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Sun 24 Jul 2011, 22:32

I got a copy when moving here 7 years ago and had completely forgotten the geology section but now I recall it as being quite comprehensive/ We've had to do so much building work I'm not sure where it is but will have a look for it. I'd no idea that phosphates contained iron strata contained uranium - in Canada near where I come from its all oxides of iron and sulphides! Thanks for the information it is now much clearer whey there is a small risk.

Simon Walker
👍

Sun 24 Jul 2011, 22:07

Geoffrey Walton contributed a section on the local geology to Lois Hey's book, "A History of Charlbury". In it, he explains where the source of the radon is - in essence, it's to do with phosphate-bearing rocks that are associated with the ironstone beds that underlie parts of the town. As with other deposits elsewhere in the world, the phosphate here also contains traces of uranium which, over time, decays radioactively. The radon is one of the naturally occurring decay products of uranium, and itself will decay further until it ends up as plain non-radioactive lead. For all its sins, Wikipedia has a fairly concise article on radon, its origins and its 'duaghter' products.

There will be A History of Charlbury in the library, and if it's out, I'm sure that Jon Carpenter will be able to assist - given that he published it.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Sun 24 Jul 2011, 16:24

What I would like to know is how and where in a fractured limestone landscape the radon is coming from? Is it seeping up from an underlying rock strata? Is is escaping from the fine particles of silt leached out from heaven only knows where to make the limestone so dark and full of fine clay when it erodes away? And finally I've totally forgotten how radon forms - what is it the nuclear breakdown product of (or chain of breakdowns)?

Pearl Manners
👍

Sat 23 Jul 2011, 13:38

Better safe than sorry!

Derek Collett
👍

Fri 22 Jul 2011, 12:43

I've not had this letter from the council. Does this mean that (a) my house is deemed to be "safe" or (b) said letter is lost in the post?

I had my house tested in 2004 and it revealed an average radon level over the year of 33 Becquerels per cubic metre. To put that into context, the national average level is 20 Bq/m3 and the government's recommended level at which remedial action needs to be taken is a whopping 200 Bq/m3. Needless to say, I did nothing about it and, 7 years on, have still yet to die from cancer.

The surveyor's report that prompted my action stated that "more than 1% of dwellings in this area" have been identified as having radon levels at which remedial action needs to be taken. By my calculations, that could mean that as few as 15-20 houses in Charlbury might be adversely affected.

I had the test done by the NRPB and I seem to remember it cost about £35 in 2004. It does provide you with peace of mind, plus they issue you with a certificate which could be useful if you choose to move house at a later date and a prospective buyer is worried about radon levels. But generally this just seems like scaremongering to me; far better from a radiation standpoint to live here than in Cornwall, Aberdeen or Fukushima!

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Fri 22 Jul 2011, 11:48

They did a test like this about 12 years ago, we had a free testing thing in our house, it registered nothing. I don't remember people making such a fuss then.
Honestly, in a limestone area there is minimal risk from radon.
It's not as if you were living in a granite area like Cornwall or somewhere.

Christine Battersby
👍

Fri 22 Jul 2011, 11:35

Well, I've now found an academic document online on lung cancer deaths from indoor radon & cost effectiveness. Having read it & various other documents (including a Parliamentary Report & one about the "myths" of Radon), I won't be asking for a free test.

For those building new houses the counter-measures are clearly worthwhile. Those who are still active smokers (or miners) would also benefit. But personally I can't see this as worth it, & will decline the free offer as I wouldn't put the (expensive) remedial measures in place.

Andrew Chapman
👍

Fri 22 Jul 2011, 09:18

Hm, the options appear to be (a) ventilate your house (which anyone needs to do anyway to avoid condensation) - free or (b) dig an underground chamber for a radon sump - presumably £XXXX. I know which I prefer!

Pearl Manners
👍

Fri 22 Jul 2011, 07:41

Anyone wishing to find out more about Radon mitigation and removal can find out more by going into www.radonenvironmental.co.uk now I understand about it I feel less troubled should it be neccessary. (hopefully it wont)

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Thu 21 Jul 2011, 11:43

More information and contact details can be found on the Town Council website at www.charlburytowncouncil.co.uk

Christine Battersby
👍

Thu 21 Jul 2011, 11:13

Does anyone have experience of putting in place remedial measures for Radon gas? I've received the letter, but am not sure if it's worth conducting the test if I then will need to spend £100s installing a pump or digging up floors. I live in an old house with a cellar.

It looks as if in most of Charlbury there will be a 30% risk to most houses, & where I am a 10% risk. But the maps are very small scale, so it's hard to be sure. Presumably it's like medical insurance: once you know the results, you will need to disclose them to all interested parties.

John Munro
👍

Wed 20 Jul 2011, 19:18

Russell
Thanks for that information. Might even consider the testing myself if we get one of these letters!

russell robson
👍

Wed 20 Jul 2011, 17:48

Visit the WODC for details, it is being led by the HPA.

It is also on the BBC website and in the Witney Gazette

John Munro
👍

Wed 20 Jul 2011, 17:14

Louise,
When you say 'it all checks out' - have you actually contacted West Oxford District Council and had confirmation from them that they themselves have sent out these 'letters'?

Louise Ravenscroft
👍

Wed 20 Jul 2011, 13:37

Today, I opened what looked like junk mail, which actually was a letter from the council, informing me that I qualified for a free radon level test, as we lived in an area of high radon levels. Please don't throw this letter away, it is not junk. It is in a white envelope and says "to the occupier" and then your address. Charlbury is in the highest radon level area (worse luck) so definitely worth a test. Highest cause of lung cancer, after smoking and can affect buying and selling of houses. There are remedial actions that you can take, costing around £1000, not sure whether there are any grants available, sure there are for those that require them. Bit shocked really when I got the letter, especially as I thought it was junk, but it all checks out, and is headed by West Ox Council.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.